2016: Great Tit (Parus major)
2018: Capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus)
IceAge

Re: Nightjar. 2019

Post by IceAge »

June 05.

Hello,

07:33
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I learn that the temperature in Estonia is 29C so our little Nightjar lady must be so uncomfortable in direct sun. Let's hope there is a breeze.
Triin

Post by Triin »

mogga wrote: June 5th, 2019, 12:01 am The eggs have not been incubated for 44 minutes (23:11-23:55). Isn't that a problem? I don't know much about nightjars... :unsure:
Everything is new to me as well :innocent: , but what I have found is that on average 51+4 min per night the eggs are left unattended by both parents (https://ueaeprints.uea.ac.uk/47930/1/Th ... Sharps.pdf, see page 133). This is all the absences summed up, not the duration of one absence.
mogga

Post by mogga »

Thanks for the link, Triin!
Seems that someone has compiled a lot information about nightjars, very nice! :book:
mogga

Post by mogga »

°°°

At 2:53 the female left the eggs.
I thought at first she wanted to grab the little meal that showed up next to her nest. But she had other plans...
She came back for incubating at 3:16.

02:53

At 4:00 the cam switched from IR mode to daylight mode.
mogga

Post by mogga »

°°°

I've compiled some basic information from my bird books. If anybody likes:

Appearance
Well blackbird sized. Bark-coloured and slender, so that it is hardly detectable in resting position (e.g. crouching lengthwise on a branch). Active at dusk and at night. To be distinguished from other night birds by the way they fly, which is characterised by high dynamics (shaking, gliding, sudden changes of direction).

Adult plumage male
In flight, the white (in sitting hidden) stains on the tail edges and in the hand wing attract attention. White markings also on the sides of the throat.
Adult plumage females and juveniles
Without bright spots at tail and wingtips, hardly white at the throat (females) or completely absent ( juvenile).

Spread in Europe
In suitable habitats throughout Europe with the exception of southern Portugal, the Alps and the far north.
Northern to southwestern Scotland, central Sweden and southern Finland. In the east until far over the Ural Mountains and up to the Caspian Sea.

Occurrence and habitat
Moors, heaths, dry oak forests as well as light (pine) forests on sandy soil. In larger forest areas, only if clearings and forest plantation areas provide routes for flying on night insects.

Broodstock (D/A/CH)
Germany: 3000-4500 pairs
Austria: 250-400 pairs
Switzerland: 50-70 pairs

Migratory behaviour
Long-distance migration. The winter quarters lie south of the Sahara to South Africa.

Food
Nocturnal insects captured in flight, from mosquitoes to large moths and beetles

Endangerment / Protection
Considered highly endangered. In Central Europe, the distribution of the nightjar is very patchy, as many of its original habitats have been transformed. In addition, the food base has become narrower in many places, as nocturnal insects have decreased due to the intensification of land use. Losses due to road traffic and flying to overhead power lines are another factor.
Opportunities could arise from the creation of forest clearings in suitable forests and the keeping open of large brownfields on sandy locations such as military training areas, brown coal fields and attle heaps.

Worth knowing
The beak gap of the nightjar reaches up to under the eye, so that the beak mouth works opened like a net. This effect is reinforced by diagonally protruding bristle feathers, which surround the beak and allow rapid reaction to hold or swallow the prey.
Like the more closely related swifts, nightjars can survive longer-lasting food shortages by falling into hunger sleep (hypothermia).

(Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator)
Biker

Post by Biker »

Hi, everyone!

thanks Mogga for detailed informations :thumbs:

pics i took last night.
Something/someone flew over the nest, she flew off

return

*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Triin

Post by Triin »

Tatyana

Post by Tatyana »

Hello! :wave:
It seems that this is not a bird, but a sculpture in the garden! :unsure:
Biker

Post by Biker »

mogga wrote: ↑
June 5th, 2019, 12:01 am
The eggs have not been incubated for 44 minutes (23:11-23:55). Isn't that a problem? I
these times of absences are obviously for providing herself. The male does not take part on care for eggs nor for chicks.
rather has the task to guard the nest then.
yitmoth

Post by yitmoth »

Triin wrote: June 5th, 2019, 2:04 pm Nigtjar cam youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-x4V6-8Ftg
Superb! Thanks Triin for the info and Urmas (et al) for streaming this amazing bird to YouTube :loveshower:
mogga

Post by mogga »

Biker wrote: June 5th, 2019, 2:41 pm these times of absences are obviously for providing herself. The male does not take part on care for eggs nor for chicks.
Ok, I see. Thanks for the insight into the breeding phase of a pair of nightjars, Biker! I had no idea so far... :whistling: :laugh:
Triin

Post by Triin »

Biker wrote: June 5th, 2019, 2:41 pm these times of absences are obviously for providing herself. The male does not take part on care for eggs nor for chicks.
I've read that the female might lay a second clutch while the male is caring for the chicks from the first one.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Okay, then he's excused. :mrgreen:
what is the English word for those "Schachtelbrut"? :puzzled:
but, does it occur often?
the details about growth slowdown of chicks at deep temperatures (5° or so) are also interesting.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

17:21 I heard a animal near the nest
Biker

Post by Biker »

The female was like petrified between 17:19 and 17:26, even more motionless than usual. there was an animal very close to the nest.
The danger seems to be over, she relaxed.

Rita

Post by Rita »

Amazing bird. Really grateful that I can observe such a special bird. Thanks to all who have contributed
information and videos and pics. :loveshower:
venegor

Post by venegor »

nightjar on the nest
Summi

Post by Summi »

23:28
no one on the eggs
Biker

Post by Biker »

Return to “Estonian Birds of the Year”