Golden Eagle Webcam Nest 2021

A webcam on a Golden Eagle Nest in Soomaa region
Forum rules
Welcome to this new webcam on a Golden Eagle nest in Soomaa.

We want to be as relaxed as possible, and help members to enjoy this forum. While having regard to the forum wide rules about picture size (800x600)and number of pics/videos per post(3) please post as much as you want. Try to banish the "double post" restriction. If you have prepared pictures, videos and text, please, please, post it. Your post is really wanted here. Please do not delete or withold your post just because another member has posted something similar before you. This forum is no place for a competiton about who posts first. All members are equal.

On other forums within Looduskalender, where there is one specified moderator, please respect the rules posted by that moderator as before.
This Golden Eagle forum will not have only one Moderator - as a team, we shall all do what is needed. There will not be separate Obsevation/Discussion topics.
Marfo

Re: Golden Eagle Webcam Nest 2021

Post by Marfo »

10:54 What is wrong with the stream? I can only scroll back two minutes... :unsure:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Hellem wrote: April 5th, 2021, 10:56 am From chat: ornithologist Gunnar Sein wrote:
​Dear Liznm and others - I will try to explain soon today such behaviour in forum
Hellem, Gunnar Sein, thank you very much. :2thumbsup:
I'm glad! I myself have no idea what it all means.
sigge

Post by sigge »

:rant:
There is no shortage of food now, new migrants arrive everyday.
Me thinks of disturbance by photographers :evil:, eagles thinks "-this is not a safe place"
Helju ate the egg so the ravens won't get it.
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

How sad, no offspring this year.
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

The Estoanian Golden Eagle population productivity is rolling by 3-years cycles. First year cycle is lowest productivity, second is middle and third year is highest. Such 3-years cycles are very concrete. This year (2021) is the bottom of the cycle. We don't know exactly what kind of factor(s) can cause the productivity cycles here in Estonia, but from the literature it is known that normally these kind cycles are caused by prey abundance. So at the beginning I was really surprised that Helju and Kalju are this brave pair who could "win" the nature rules and will grow up a new juvenile. Right now I don't have any explanation that they (probably Helju) got additional amounts of new information through the first part of the laying period which convinced them (her) that they might be in serious problems later in June or July.  So according to their instincts came a "decision" to not continue the egg laying. I'm  absolutely sure that Helju is a smart and experienced Golden Eagle lady who acted in proper way as it is common in nature. Real nature is always very-very pragmatic. Definitely we were witnesses of a sad story, but on other hand we are lucky to see the behaviours that experts can normally only guess. I have followed Golden Eagles nestlife by trailcams for now 10 years in Estonia. Through this period I have had only two cases where eggs or 3 days eaglet "disappeared" within 20 minutes and the female is peacefully on nest. I suspected already then that probably the female is able to "correct" the breeding results, but I was not sure about this. Now we got it evidence kind of infanticide behaviour. 
Liznm and others passionate watchers - we appreciate highly your time, enthusiasm and valuable notes on what you made here in this forum!  Thank you once again! Without your emotions and feedback this webcam observing isn't as enjoyable as it is - no doubt!
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Gunnar wrote: April 5th, 2021, 11:43 am
Thank you! We desperately need explanations!
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Gunnar wrote: April 5th, 2021, 11:43 am The Estoanian Golden Eagle population productivity is rolling by 3-years cycles. First year cycle is lowest productivity, second is middle and third year is highest. Such 3-years cycles are very concrete. .....
Gunnar, thank you very much for your explanation! I appreciate it very much! :2thumbsup:
I thank you and Kotkaklubi for the opportunity to watch the nest events! These cameras are very interesting.
So we are patiently waiting for the next year!
It's going to be great! I hope so at least!
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

Gunnar, thank you very much for the explanations. We humans are always learning new things from nature.
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

13:00 Kalju? is calling

13:05 they call every now and then
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Today, the Nature Calendar/Looduskalender also describes these events (in Estonian).

Many thanks Liz01 and Tatyana!

https://www.looduskalender.ee/n/node/5409

Let´s hope that next year it will be a wonderful season!
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Thank you very much, Hellem! for your tireless observation with time information! :loveshower: Without you, I would have missed a lot! :D
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Liz, You're welcome :D
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

13:17 Helju landed on the curved branch. she is calling

she is calling

and landed
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

She is looking in the empty nest bowl and is calling all time

her ring is visible

13:19 she went off
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

13:17 visit by Helju

13:32 Helju is calling
13:33 she is calling

Looking back, I think the ravens couldn't take the egg because Helju was around! I was really amazed yesterday that they came to the nest but not to the egg. That was very unusual and suggests that they couldn't!
Tatyana

Post by Tatyana »

Gunnar! :hi: Thank you so much! :dunno:
asteria

Post by asteria »

sigge wrote: April 5th, 2021, 11:08 am :rant:
There is no shortage of food now, new migrants arrive everyday.
Me thinks of disturbance by photographers :evil:, eagles thinks "-this is not a safe place"
Helju ate the egg so the ravens won't get it.
Probably the egg was rotten. LSE female Grieta ate both eggs in 2009 too
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

asteria :hi:
Please, don't speculate, read this:
viewtopic.php?p=786946#p786946
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

17:43 It looks beautiful :innocent: It's enough for me to know that Helju & Kalju are fine :D
Rita

Post by Rita »

:hi: Liz: I consent this - I am happy that Helju and Kalju are fine. That is enough for me, as well. :nod:

:hi: asteria: We should not jump to (human) conclusions just because we do not understand what these wise eagles know. Helju sure knew, something we humans miss. It is eagle realm and eagle knowledge and such is far from humanity. Thus I believe that the egg was not rotten.

:hi: Hellem

Return to “Golden Eagle Webcam Forum”