Golden Eagle Webcam Nest 2021

A webcam on a Golden Eagle Nest in Soomaa region
Forum rules
Welcome to this new webcam on a Golden Eagle nest in Soomaa.

We want to be as relaxed as possible, and help members to enjoy this forum. While having regard to the forum wide rules about picture size (800x600)and number of pics/videos per post(3) please post as much as you want. Try to banish the "double post" restriction. If you have prepared pictures, videos and text, please, please, post it. Your post is really wanted here. Please do not delete or withold your post just because another member has posted something similar before you. This forum is no place for a competiton about who posts first. All members are equal.

On other forums within Looduskalender, where there is one specified moderator, please respect the rules posted by that moderator as before.
This Golden Eagle forum will not have only one Moderator - as a team, we shall all do what is needed. There will not be separate Obsevation/Discussion topics.
asteria

Re: Golden Eagle Webcam Nest 2021

Post by asteria »

Rita wrote: April 5th, 2021, 6:58 pm

:hi: asteria: We should not jump to (human) conclusions just because we do not understand what these wise eagles know. Helju sure knew, something we humans miss. It is eagle realm and eagle knowledge and such is far from humanity. Thus I believe that the egg was not rotten.
]
Hejiu acted in a same way with lesser spotted eagle Grieta, that is why I supposed such a reason.
aita

Post by aita »

Gunnar wrote: April 5th, 2021, 11:43 am The Estoanian Golden Eagle population productivity is rolling by 3-years cycles. First year cycle is lowest productivity, second is middle and third year is highest. Such 3-years cycles are very concrete. This year (2021) is the bottom of the cycle. We don't know exactly what kind of factor(s) can cause the productivity cycles here in Estonia, but from the literature it is known that normally these kind cycles are caused by prey abundance. So at the beginning I was really surprised that Helju and Kalju are this brave pair who could "win" the nature rules and will grow up a new juvenile. Right now I don't have any explanation that they (probably Helju) got additional amounts of new information through the first part of the laying period which convinced them (her) that they might be in serious problems later in June or July.  So according to their instincts came a "decision" to not continue the egg laying. I'm  absolutely sure that Helju is a smart and experienced Golden Eagle lady who acted in proper way as it is common in nature. Real nature is always very-very pragmatic. Definitely we were witnesses of a sad story, but on other hand we are lucky to see the behaviours that experts can normally only guess. I have followed Golden Eagles nestlife by trailcams for now 10 years in Estonia. Through this period I have had only two cases where eggs or 3 days eaglet "disappeared" within 20 minutes and the female is peacefully on nest. I suspected already then that probably the female is able to "correct" the breeding results, but I was not sure about this. Now we got it evidence kind of infanticide behaviour. 
Liznm and others passionate watchers - we appreciate highly your time, enthusiasm and valuable notes on what you made here in this forum!  Thank you once again! Without your emotions and feedback this webcam observing isn't as enjoyable as it is - no doubt!
:hi:

Thanks, Gunnar. This year I've only been following the forum.
(Last year, father Kalju and mother Helju were very good parents.)
I started thinking about all kinds of human activity in the nest area. Obviously there is nothing illegal about it.
Just the laws of nature that people still don't understand ...
Thanks to everyone who posted. :thumbs:
rysx

Post by rysx »

Hello everyone. :hi:
I was dismayed and deeply saddened watching the events yesterday. I’ve been watching various birds’ nests for more than 10 years and I’ve never witnessed a scene like this (although I saw siblicide and filicide or killing offspring by parents, in some species). Until this year I have not regularly watched the Golden Eagles, but occasionally had some glimpses of their lives.This year, I decided to give them more attention and started even to assist a little bit in the documentation on this forum. Unfortunately, this was not the full interesting breeding season. I regret it very much, as all of you do too. The other GE site followed on this forum, in Latvia, is inconclusive so far, we will see.

As far as I know there is only one more GE nest in the world, with a camera, which I also watch: Whychus Creek in Oregon, USA, if anyone is interested. They have one eaglet already, about 9 days old, that looks strong and develops well. The chatters there are also interested in the developments in Eastonian and Latvian nests.

I would like to thank all of you for posting valuable information here, in particular Liz01 and Hellem who contribute the most. Thank you Gunnar for your explanations above. And I appreciate input from all other participants on this forum.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

April 6

Good Morning :hi:

rysx you are welcome! :D

6:43 Arrival Kalju. His crop is huge. He is calling short

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

6:44 he settles down

7:28 Kajlu is calling and looks to the left
7:30 he calls again
7:33 he is calling again
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

7:42 long neck by Kalju

he is looking around

beautiful handsome Kalju :innocent:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

7:55 there is beautiful light on the nest. Kalju is still warming up the nest

7:57 he is calling again and is looking to the left

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

rysx wrote: April 6th, 2021, 12:59 am .........

As far as I know there is only one more GE nest in the world, with a camera, which I also watch: Whychus Creek in Oregon, USA, if anyone is interested. They have one eaglet already, about 9 days old, that looks strong and develops well. The chatters there are also interested in the developments in Eastonian and Latvian nests.
thanks for the hint with the Oregon nest.
I'll watch our lesser spotted eagles as soon as they are back. They are an endangered species. they are very interesting for me. So I have no time for cameras outside Estonia / Latvia. I also like the fact that you get feedback from Estonian & Latvian ornithologists.
And you can document everything. even events that are not so nice.
I hope for the next season :D
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

8:16 Kalju is calling stands up .. is calling again and flew away

8:17 I hear Helju
8:18:20 Helju is calling near
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Kalju is calling stands up and leaves. Helju is calling out of sight
sigge

Post by sigge »

@Gunnar Thanks for posting! Yeah, there is a 3-year cycle in Sweden too but no rule, it was totally disrupted after the hot summer 2018. 2019 was supposed to be a bottom year but it was an all time high, then everyone thought 2020 would be bad but it was also one of the best year ever.

I just hope that no one thinks these cycles are printed in their DNA, it follows the changes in the ecosystem.
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

17:04 Helju landed on the curved branch
17:05 She flew away
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Good evening! :hi:

In the Estonian Television program "Ringvaade", Mr. Gunnar Sein spoke about his observations regarding the nesting life of Estonian and Latvian eagles.

https://menu.err.ee/1608168316/kotkauur ... e-maailmas

:rolleyes:
rysx

Post by rysx »

April 7
7:57 Are they going to try again?? This would be very interesting...

But this could be only tightening the bond between them. We will see...
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

rysx :D , thank you very much for the video :2thumbsup:
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

Heloise wrote: April 6th, 2021, 9:36 pm Good evening! :hi:

In the Estonian Television program "Ringvaade", Mr. Gunnar Sein spoke about his observations regarding the nesting life of Estonian and Latvian eagles.

https://menu.err.ee/1608168316/kotkauur ... e-maailmas

:rolleyes:
Heloise - yes! Though I watched this on YouTube. The video with Gunnar Stein, from a Newscast, popped up on my home page.
Yet, I’m still not certain that this is the reason. But I don’t have an explanation.
EDIT - so sorry, I am wrong! I watched a Latvian Newscast, speaking about the White Tailed Eagles, Milda. I watched on YouTube, a video explaining what happened. So sorry that I confused with the Estonian Golden Eagles. :bow:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

rysx wrote: April 7th, 2021, 11:15 am .......
7:57 Are they going to try again?? This would be very interesting...

But this could be only tightening the bond between them. We will see...
Hi :hi: there were two mating just before she ate the egg. That’s just couple bonding in my opinion
rysx

Post by rysx »

April 9 :hi: Good morning.
7:02 an Eagle, possibly Kalju, arrives for a short visit. After his departure vocalizing is heard.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Good Morning! :hi:
7:02 Kalju arrived with something in his claw

It was a green twig! He put it in front of nest and

7:03 flew off again
He flew in an arc back to the nest tree , landed on the right on Helju's back and they mate :D
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

April 10

Good Morning everyone :hi:

6:09 Kalju with a twig

6:10 working in the nest bowl

takes a prey?? and flew off with it

Return to “Golden Eagle Webcam Forum”