Gentoo Penguins in Antarctica

Discussion of any other birds and animals, anywhere.
Malewitsch

Re: Gentoo Penguins in Antarctica

Post by Malewitsch »

Image :chick:
Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Ridge & basement: Chicks and chicks and chicks... :chick: :chick: :chick: :chick:

Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Image :chick:
Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Twins :chick: :chick:
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

December 30

10.00 :puzzled:
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Image :loveshower:

Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Lots of chicks are growing fast

lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

22.10 Image

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Little basement buddhas :nod: :nod:

lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

January 14

Brown Skua / Stercorarius maccormicki/ Stercorarius antarcticus

http://cr2chicago.weebly.com/with-every-drop
Brown Skuas are particularly incredible (and shockingly monstrous) animals:
* Kleptoparasitism (a fairly self-explanatory term, I must say) is theft of food or prey obtained by another animal. Skuas (along with many other seabirds, including the Great Frigatebird and the Chinstrap Penguin) steal other birds' catches, harassing them until they drop the fish they've collected in their crop.

* In case your opinion of Brown Skuas wasn't already low enough, these birds are ovivores, feeding on the eggs of penguins and other marine birds that happen to nest near to their colonies. They will also eat penguin chicks, striking from above and carrying them off before their parents can notice.

* As brutal as Brown Skuas can be, they're social animals that are remarkably tender with their mates and offspring (as are many seabirds). Courting involves complicated calls and displays, and once the eggs have been laid parents share the duties of defending the nest, incubation, brooding, and feeding the chicks once they hatch.
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

January 15

lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

14.30 Bigger chicks begin wandering around and trying to make friends with each other :rolleyes:
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

Malewitsch

Post by Malewitsch »

Brilliant coverage, lianaliesma :nod:

Return to “Other Birds and Animals”