Goshawk nest in Riga 2020 - 2021

Goshawk nests in Latvia
Polly

Re: Goshawk nest in Riga 2020 - 2021

Post by Polly »

In the meantime, H21 has returned to the nest, but jumps back on the side branch at 11:14 am.

Junior likes it - more space to paddle. :chick:

11:16:56 H21 flies off-road, calls out.

11:44 back with empty claws.
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

12:33 H21 leaves the nest down with a loud sound.
She continues to call in the area, loud and demanding. In the meantime, the hawklets can be admired teaining. Even walking on two wobbly legs without falling over works better and better. :thumbs:

12:37:48 H21 returns to the nest with food.
The play children are suddenly very tight and quick at the table. :mrgreen:

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Good and greedy meal for all chicks.
This time the prey bird's foot was part of the food for the little ones. I think the youngest chick got it first.
'53: 46 the little one strangles him, drops the foot and the older chick on the far right grabbed him.

'56: 16-19 Again the tug-of-war between the older siblings.

The feeding is as good as finished, someone is still hungry and tries to pull in the food. :laugh:

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Break ... :innocent:

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Sometimes the translation is strange for me. It will show "youngest girl" for
...youngest chick...
. :slap:
No, I definitely don't think the youngest chick is a girl. On the contrary ... I think it's a male chick.
Sorry for the sometimes capricious translation. It's not always that strange. :rolleyes:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

The next feeding 14:47 - 15:06
H21 began feeding the rest of the previous food to their chicks.

The enthusiasm was only medium but the chicks accepted the offer. The youngest chick was in an awkward position on the far right. It moved away from the siblings and tried to grab fallen bites. It was only moderately successful ... most of the bite was too big.

Nevertheless, his harvest was already well filled - no cause for concern.
He had apparently skewered a bite or it stuck ... his older sibling on the left was happy to take it. :laugh:

15:06 H21 carries the rest of the food out of the nest.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

15:08 H21 brings a fresh twig into the nest with a lot of power. :rotf: :slap:

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

15:09 She cleans up and find any remaining pieces of meat. She eats one and leaves the nest with the other.

15:11 and back with a new branch.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

16:07 H21 starts shouting loudly and leaves the nest in '08.

16:10 Anyone up there?
*look look :laugh:

16:13 H21 comes back into the nest through the side door and with empty claws.
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

17:41 H21 flies off-road with a high tone.
She calls there until '44. According to ... Everyone in Riga will now know that H44 is behind schedule. :mrgreen:

17:46 H21 is back with fresh food and the chicks stand as good as organ pipes. Feeding!

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

18:13 The feeding was over ...
(... for doing one earlier. 8-) )

This was followed by joyful paddling together :chick: and the first lazy berths were headed for.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

19:05

19:39

20:16
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

21:57
Still slumber time. :innocent:

Possibly food will be brought or fed again ... I'm still ending now - I feel like slumbering too. :unsure:

Sleep well! :wave:
:offtobed:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

So far this morning they have been fed twice with small and medium prey, the chickens are more active, they even stand up well balancing on their wings.

The elongated sound is used by the female outside the nest quite often (the male has never been heard at the moment). The "piaditas" in the nest or branches seem to have already disappeared.

It's going to be funny to see the whole family in the same outfit in a few weeks.

Regarding growth, males take less time to complete their plumage and size because they are much smaller than females (you just have to see the difference between H44 and H21), 3 to 5 days apart will be normal.
Polly

Post by Polly »

It's going to be funny to see the whole family in the same outfit in a few weeks.
absolutely ... . :2thumbsup:

I was looking for older videos from last summer. I was hoping to find a handover from Boka and Lujis. Unfortunately only videos from November '20 are listed.
Anyway, I remember that the handovers of the two were always very sporadic. And as far as I can remember, I have never seen these loving sounds and gestures with Boka and Lujis!
And ... Lujis was abstinent very early. Food handovers took place very early only outside the nest. So I'm happy to see H44 after all. :innocent:
But I found a video from February. It is a youth ringed with an F and another leg. He also uses these drawn tones. What do you think - male or female?

Perhaps these sounds will decrease as the years go by. Perhaps it is mainly young birds that use these sounds. Even if they are already breeding themselves.
Simply because they are still familiar with this way of calling from the nestling days. To beg, to express needs.

Perhaps this reputation will be lost by next year or only rarely used?

Uff, written a lot. Sorry ... I think too much.
I will largely withdraw from the documentation. My documentation and effort doesn't meet demand. There are days when I question what I do. What for ...

From time to time I will certainly report 'news' or special events. Of course, I will continue to follow up for the next few months.

A lovely evening! :wave:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

For example today ...
13:25:25 H44 brings a bird into the nest.
The chicks are alone, H21 is in the area. A chick pulls the bird out of his claws.
It is the situation why the males should not later meet their juvenile chicks to hand over the food. Everything is still safe for the delicate H44. In less time it will be different ... the greed of the hawklets knows no mercy. 8-)

In the meantime, H21 approaches, calling. H44 leaves the nest in a hurry ... H21 lands.

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

When H21 tries to pick up the bird, the middle chick grabs him. Wings held almost like mantles.
It tries to work on it, shakes it and pecks .... H21 lets the chick 'try and learn'. :nod:

It also seemed to me in the further course that the bird was mostly fed to the middle chick. The siblings got occasional bites.

The only device that can record videos so far suddenly has problems. Other streams can all be spooled - except this one. Very strange. Pity ....
edit: Now my tablet can no longer do it either. The time slider?

H21 is watching closely ...

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

everything relaxed ... :innocent:

:wave:
Indian proverb
Emi7

Post by Emi7 »

The goshawk in the video looks like a female, I think it was mentioned by I. Jakovlevs at some point.

The sound that is also made by adults, I am beginning to think that it is more exclusive to females although I cannot assure that. I have seen it in adult female videos.

Today I was doing a feeding follow-up but I stopped at noon. I will see if I finish it before it is erased (it is an opportunity that will not be repeated until next year and it does not require a lot of effort).

In the morning they were really hungry and two week old chickens "chirping" is not so normal. I think something has been arranged in the afternoon.

Good night :wave:
Polly

Post by Polly »

June 12th

:wave:
So far I'm still very confident. We tend to mentally feed more than is necessary. And suffer when, in our opinion, there is too little. (Well, I'm not so - up to date. Everything's okay for me.)
Off topic, but there are also pets that are too fat.

The chicks look great and a day of fast doesn't hurt. I think there are even deliberate periods when our minis are 'kept short'. Instincts need to be awakened and trained. Defend food, eat yourself and later hunt. None of this works with overfed, comfortable young animals. H21 and H44 will instinctively get everything right - as before. :innocent:

I worked for a long time today, I'm only at home now, but I'm still trying to wind the deliveries.

05:51 (I won't come earlier) There is a medium-sized prey in the nest. From the day before?

05:57 Sweet, the chicks start their gathering before H21.

H21 starts feeding. Mini, the youngest is not that euhoric.
Indian proverb

Return to “Goshawks”