Black Stork Nests in Europe

Ciconia nigra cams and information
Michi

Re: Black Stork Nests in Europe

Post by Michi »

Good evening all, :wave:
back from a short journey, I'm amazed how the storklets are grown in a few days.
baska wrote: But I have a question for long time: what do you all think about their eyes? I keep being worried about them. :unsure:
Most of the time they look as if they were blind! :shock:
Don't you have the same impression???
Baska, :hi: I was thinking about your thoughts a long time. I have always blamed the camera quality and the light for the eyes looking a little grey, - as the whole pictures are often a little greyish.
But in the last picture you posted, the right eye of the storklet in front doesn’t really look good. Obviously it isn't all right.
To the eyes of the other storklets I can’t say anything. I imploringly hope that they are all right. But with this one in your last pic it seems you are most likely right.

Poor little stork. :unsure: How will it go on with him if we are right with our advisement?
It’s a pity that we can’t follow any Hungarian forum, where maybe more information has to be got. Is it perhaps possible, that the storklet is taken out of the nest after ringing? And taken to an animal station or similarly?

I would be very glad, if some other LK-members would tell their opinions about this case.
Michi

Post by Michi »

Here my pictures I've taken today.
16:43 All storklets look rather dirty. Could it be because of rain? But the nest looks dry ... :puzzled:

20:00 No abnormalities at the eyes to see ...

Big storklet :D
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

:wave: To see the whole family this morning in the nest (somewhat incomplete ... :mrgreen: )
Parents brought dark stuff in the nest. Maybe this is the cause of their dirtiness, Michi.
Image Image Image

@baska, I've also thought about your concern and searched for an answer.
Because no one answered, I preferred to wait, cause I am not an expert.
Also, I couldn't find a difference, or identify problems with the eyes.
Unfortunately no moving pictures, we might observe them better.
Hope all is well with the Storkletts. They grow so fast now, the growing feathers are visible and dark spots begin to come...
Michi

Post by Michi »

Black swan, thank you for the interesting pics! Especially the last one. :mrgreen: Obviously this is the explanation for the dirty storklets.

Today, 11:20 - 11:30

They already can stand on their feet. So cute ... :D

Image :loveshower:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Black Storks Italy, 4. June

In Italy there are 5 Storklets! :shock: :D
The parents must have a lot of work, to get them all full. :faint:
But they all seem to be well fed and are already very big.

Today, 12:11, feeding.

12:44
Michi

Post by Michi »

I don't know what the black stuff shall be good for. :slap: Poor storklets. :unsure:
14:35

Michi

Post by Michi »

@Baska, :wave:
concerning your question to the eyes of the storklets: Can't it have been the nictitating membrane which sometimes has let the eyes look a little bit grey?
The following pictures from today show the same storklet within few seconds. Once with a closed nictitating membrane, I think, and once with open.
It would be a simple explanation.

14:52

Michi

Post by Michi »

20:43 Night watch by mom. :sleeping:
baska

Post by baska »

Hello together! :wave:

I just wanted to thank you for your efforts of finding a solution to the strange looking eyes...
Michi, I think, you've got it! :rolleyes:
Nictitating membrane! That it must be!!! Thank you once more! :D
I remember of my cats, there I could see it quite often.

In addition I wanted to show to you a pic which I made a few days ago. It was the first time I could see an eye clearly!
my pics you always can make bigger by clicking on them, in case somebody wants to see something better. (Why don't you do that?)

Black swan
, your last two pics are really amusing. Might be that the parents have problems with their eyes, hihi! 8-)
Above all, I want to ask you, why you don't write at least your nationality in your profile?
I always regret very much when I don't know where the people come from I'm speaking to. Especially here, where the people come from all over the world.

Surrounded mother or father
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

:hi: Good Morning
Image Image

I am happy, that the concern for the eyes has solved.
@Michi, I had the same thought with the nictitating membrane. Funny, I had already made such pictures, probably the same scene as your :rolleyes:
Thank you!

@baska: Your last picture is a wonderful surprise. I have not seen something like this with the Black Storks. :loveshower:
I'm sorry, I deleted my profile some time ago. I felt that it would better. But I will change and at least the nationality insert again.

edit: just seen :shock: Image :mrgreen:
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

I must still post that :innocent:
They are so big! Image

What will be that? Crawlin under Mom / Dad?
Image Image Image So it is better :shake:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Good evening, :hi:
thank you all for the marvelous last pictures! Nearly all are a little bit crazy! The one from Baska with the surrounded parent – so cute :-). Black swans pic from the parent without head, - shocking in the first moment! :mrgreen:
And of course the pics of the storklet crawling under moms feathers – how crazy is that? :laugh: These storklets are so huge.
All are wonderful pictures, thanks a lot! :2thumbsup:

Baska, I’m so unburdened that there is such an easy solution with the storklets eyes! Everything else would have been terrible.

Pic from 19:20

Edit:
Pic from 20:00
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

:hi: Happy Whit Sunday!

Seems a cozy Family Afternoon for our Black Storks: :rotf:
Image Image Image This is Mom. What a lovely family! :loveshower:
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

It's really quite crazy today! Each image new surprises... :faint: (can not post all)

All three standing:

:shock: Image Image :mrgreen:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Black swan wrote:It's really quite crazy today! Each image new surprises... :faint: (can not post all)
Black swan, all pictures are very welcome. :nod: I can't see enough of them either. :D
Thank you so much for these enchanting pics! Unfortunately I couldn’t answer earlier; haven’t much time at the moment.
But as you’ve said it: What a lovely family! It’s so cute, how the storklets surround their mom. And I admire the willingness and patience of the parent, sitting down in the nest with these huge storklets. They all are just adorable. :loveshower:
Today the third hatched storklet is 4 weeks old. Unbelievable, how big they are already.
baska

Post by baska »

Hello together! :wave:

Black swan, thank you for your answer. So we could speak german, couldn't we? :shake:

You are both right, the family is really lovable! :loveshower:
And the kids are chatting all the time. What a pity, that we cannot hear it like in Estonia.
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
baska

Post by baska »

Hello again :hi:

This picture of Italy I like very much, too. I had to laugh loudly when I saw that! :D :D :D
greetings from Baska

Albert Schweitzer
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

Now I'm sure: they know the cam and know ...

@basca: What a shot!!!
This is like a "Gänsemarsch", but they are not geeses... :rotf:
How parents can deal with this herd?

Thanks for the sharing and also for the info about this amazing nest, Michi & baska.
"So we could speak german, couldn't we?" Yes, we could :innocent:
Michi wrote:... haven’t much time at the moment.
:hi: So it is also for me. So we do appreciate about each post, each Pic. Just as everyone has time... :shake:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Black swan wrote: This is like a "Gänsemarsch", but they are not geeses... :rotf:
You have written what I also have thought. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the funny pic, Baska!
So it is also for me. So we do appreciate about each post, each Pic. Just as everyone has time... :shake:
Black swan, :hi: :thumbs:
Michi

Post by Michi »

Good evening, :wave:
here at last some pictures from our storklets. They are much grown in the meantime and have a lot of black feathers.
The pics are from about 13:00.

Return to “Black Storks”