Birds observed at the Matsalu WTE Nest Camera 2021

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Triin

Re: Birds observed at the Matsalu WTE Nest Camera 2021

Post by Triin »

Bea wrote: May 7th, 2021, 3:13 pm Are they mainly ground breeders in Estonia?
Yes. Usually Eagle owls nest on the ground in pine grove forests. We have built some artificial platforms up on the trees, but the pairs use the platforms on one year and then nest on the ground the other year. Also the Eagle owls have used a building (no residents) and a cliff near the sea.

There is 30-50 nesting pairs in Estonia. At least half of the known nesting sites have been uninhabited in recent years.
Triin

Post by Triin »

Liz01 wrote: May 7th, 2021, 1:59 pm 13:56 -13:57 which bird is calling? :help: It sounds great
it seems like a little vocal artist. Very extensive repertoire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ESJFQ9khA
Song thrush (Turdus philomelos). They might have up to 30 different "words" in their vocabulary. Their message could be loosely translated into English as "Did you do it? Did you do it? You did, you did, you did... I saw you, I saw you..." ("Linnuaabits" by Fred Jüssi)
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Triin wrote: May 8th, 2021, 10:31 am Song thrush (Turdus philomelos). They might have up to 30 different "words" in their vocabulary. Their message could be loosely translated into English as "Did you do it? Did you do it? You did, you did, you did... I saw you, I saw you..." ("Linnuaabits" by Fred Jüssi)
thank you Triin! :2thumbsup:
Bea

Post by Bea »

Triin wrote: May 8th, 2021, 10:15 am
Thank you! Are they on the islands too (Saaremaa, Hiiumaa, ...) or only on the mainland?
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Triin

Post by Triin »

Bea wrote: May 8th, 2021, 10:59 am Thank you! Are they on the islands too (Saaremaa, Hiiumaa, ...) or only on the mainland?
There are Eagle owls on the islands and on the mainland. Mostly in the Western Estonia and only near the sea.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”