White-tailed Eagles Discussion ~ 2010 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Tahidor

Re: White Tailed Eagles Discussion 2010

Post by Tahidor »

This is from last year by this time. Linda is arriving with a fish (?) and the eaglets did not leave the nest
before 22th September (according to my last picture from that season). Hopely the cam starts once more!

Image[/img]
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

ame wrote: i don't know how much inter-linked the operation of the cameras is...? it has seemed that the live camera has been on still in complete darkness recently but the Pontu camera has stopped working before that. like the evening picture that i posted up there: it was taken at 21.55 in the last glow of the sunset but there's no Pontu picture recorded at that time.

on the other hand, if there is something wrong in the transmission of the data, then both pictures will be missing, because i guess they must use the same transmission equipment (i don't know this for sure, but that's a reasonable guess i think: why should there be an expensive duplicate system?). i also guess that the Pontu pics are transmitted right away and stored somewhere away from the nest.

could someone from the "technical" side tell us more about the Pontu cam? does anyone know someone who knows more? :help:
there's some information about the camera systems on Eagle camera news-pages (Kotkakaamera uutised), in the very beginning there, but i haven't found any information about the Pontu camera. :dunno:

i think it would be interesting to know more about the technical side of the Eagle cams (and all the other cams, too; i suppose the systems are rather similar in different places). could we have an interview about these things for example in the Technical questions-department? that would give us some entertainment in the darkening autumn evenings as the eagles are gone and the seal beach camera is the only other cam so far...
Ame, Urmas has replied to your question here -

viewtopic.php?p=81044#p81044
ame

Post by ame »

thank you both, Urmas and Jo! :wave:
b.h-p

Post by b.h-p »

:wave:

still no camera :sleep:
Eagles better know how to live their lifes than humans do on their behalf

the WtE database at LK created by the forumist Maertha is a goldmine of knowledge and news
ame

Post by ame »

September 7th: :hi:
still no camera... :unsure: there must be something broken in the hardware.
what might be the schedule be: when does anyone (Urmas? :hi: ) have time to go to the nest for repairs? i guess there's no hurry because i suppose the eagles are mostly away now... and does the camera go for a winter break or do we get it back? the seal camera is on all the time... :peek:
i hope we get it back in January the latest, because it seemed that the eagles had visited the nest already in the first pictures this year. there were footprints on the snow on the nest.
vaino

Post by vaino »

ame wrote:September 7th: :hi:
still no camera... :unsure: there must be something broken in the hardware.
what might be the schedule be: when does anyone (Urmas? :hi: ) have time to go to the nest for repairs? i guess there's no hurry because i suppose the eagles are mostly away now... and does the camera go for a winter break or do we get it back? the seal camera is on all the time... :peek:
i hope we get it back in January the latest, because it seemed that the eagles had visited the nest already in the first pictures this year. there were footprints on the snow on the nest.
We would like to get some information re. cam and eagles from Renno or Urmas ! Is this the end of eagle season?
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Last times when camera was off and on, we did nothing - it turned on or off itself and we do not know exactly, why...
Most probably there are some contacts bad along cables, caused by natural humidity in air. That is difficult to avoid and we do not know, where the problematic contact is. For the next season we renew all cable ends.
We planned to start new season earlier as last one, but can't say when exactly.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Thank you for the information
now we just need a little eagle cam magic
oliv

Post by oliv »

:whistling: Eagles! You have to jump at the camera as you did last time :shake:
ame

Post by ame »

Urmas wrote:Last times when camera was off and on, we did nothing - it turned on or off itself and we do not know exactly, why...
Most probably there are some contacts bad along cables, caused by natural humidity in air. That is difficult to avoid and we do not know, where the problematic contact is. For the next season we renew all cable ends.
We planned to start new season earlier as last one, but can't say when exactly.
yes, humidity is difficult to keep out and it causes contact failures. it sneakes in through the connectors if they are not really well sealed. i don't quite know what kind of isolation would work in that environment, with the temperature varying from maybe -30 to +30 degrees and with the UV radiation from the Sun brittling the shields... it's almost a little wonder that the camera and the transmission equipment have worked even this well in the harsh outdoor environtment!

the antenna in the tree top is a problem of its own. as far as i have understood it sways in the wind with the tree and i guess that has been the cause of temporarily breaks in the picture transmission, which have occured on windy days. (it's funny why the breaks seemed to start in the early afternoon...? even on very windy mornings we had the picture on. :puzzled: )

and i think starting earlier than this year is a good idea. :nod:
the camera was started on January 25th this year. here's the first Pontu-picture, taken at 16.23 (4.23 pm):
you can see that clearly someone(s) have already been at the nest, checking it's condition. there are a lot of footprints in the snow. i think that the camera should start even by Chritsmas time, so that we won't miss a single minute of eagle time! :laugh: (that is of course if you eagle men have time to set the system up so early.)
besides the scenery is wonderful even without the eagles! :headroll:
ame

Post by ame »

September 9th:: still no camera. :unsure:
it must have been the storm on the 3rd: it has broken something. :help:
ame

Post by ame »

September 10th: .... no camera.... :sleep:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Are there any Spanish speakers here, please? LK needs your help!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=244
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

If anyone can get BBC 2, tonight at 22.20 there is a 10 minute clip of WTEs on Mull.

(Thank you, Cousin Bill)
Mew

Post by Mew »

Jo UK wrote:If anyone can get BBC 2, tonight at 22.20 there is a 10 minute clip of WTEs on Mull.

(Thank you, Cousin Bill)
And thank YOU, Jo. :2thumbsup:
Mew

Post by Mew »

In the absence of the webcam, perhaps you would all enjoy this on the latest satellite-tracked chicks on Mull: http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/ ... midge.aspx

And this on East Scotland, http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/blogs/ ... fault.aspx It includes a little story of a WTE fledgling and a chicken coop. I won't spoil it for you by re-telling it here!
ame

Post by ame »

thank you for the links, Mew! :wave:

there was a Japanese nature program on Finnish TV a week ago about sea eagles in Hokkaido on Shiretoko peninsula, but i could not find information about the film's title in English or producers or anything useful... all was in Finnish. :faint:

in that film there were (among other animals) mostly eagles gathered on the winter feeding ground. they had filmed at the nest only for three short times, but there was a passage of the courting rituals of WTEs: the air show where the male drops a fish high in the air and the female catches it in flight. unfortunately even them had not been lucky enough to capture the "windmill flight" where the spouses grab each other by the talons high in the air and then fly like that rotating high in the air around each other. that manouvre is a sort of a wedding dance for the WTEs, and only few people have seen it (and even fewer have photographed it, if any; actually i've only read stories about it).

the camera is still down. :sleep: i think we've lost it for good for the rest of this season. :unsure:
unp

Post by unp »

I remember seeing the "windmill flight" somewhere. I think it's this one

This behavior and reasons for it are described ia here (also contains a link to a video of two European white-tailed eagles at the ARKive wildlife website) and here "cartwheeling ... typically between defender and intruder, parent and offspring, siblings, or mates"
ame

Post by ame »

thank you unp for the video and the links! :wave:
that was something extraordinary! (even though they weren't WTEs)
it was also interesting to read that the windmill or rather the the cartwheeling can take place also among birds of different species. :shock:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

As I recall a pair of bald Eagles crashed into the ground doing thing -- maybe this year. One of them died on impact and the other was taken in to care.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”