White-tailed Eagles ~ 2011-2012 ~ Linda & Sulev

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

asteria

Re: White-tailed Eagles Nest Cam Discussion 2011-2012

Post by asteria »

It's nice that a couple appeared, maybe this year the nest won't be empty. What kind of bird is that? Buzzards?
Whoever saves one life saves the world entire
maertha

Post by maertha »

The second bird left the nest at 13:00

Yes, they or another couple were here also last year, Bea. I´m glad to see raptors at this nest. :D
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

By the way, German members here - did you watch "Terra X" yesterday evening in ZDF?
If not, try to find it (Mediathek) - there was a long contribution on WTE, Kieling went up a WTE nest for ringing, shows what food remains were there and also talks about the lead problem!
(another chapter is on Golden Eagles!)
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Bea

Post by Bea »

Felis silvestris wrote:By the way, German members here - did you watch "Terra X" yesterday evening in ZDF?
If not, try to find it (Mediathek) - there was a long contribution on WTE, Kieling went up a WTE nest for ringing, shows what food remains were there and also talks about the lead problem!
(another chapter is on Golden Eagles!)

Thank you Felis! :bow:

I had not the chance to watch it, but I´ll search the Mediathek for it!
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
ame

Post by ame »

now a buzzard is meowing somewhere...

Fireblade: did they bring something to the nest? i was a bit late to see them. you were there first. i saw that the supposed female was arranging a twig on the back-left rim.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Bea wrote:
Thank you Felis! :bow:

I had not the chance to watch it, but I´ll search the Mediathek for it!
Even our friends, the piggies were there! So cute! :mrgreen:

Edit: I looked it up, I hope the link works (will not forever, I think)
http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/beitrag/ ... tschland-1
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

ame

Post by ame »

yeah, what was left of the piggie. :mrgreen:
(boy the eagles are mean!! that jawbone was not a stripie's jaw. :whistling: )
and i'm sure the eaglet was a girl! :rotf:

i don't quite know how appropriate it is to post these pictures here... :puzzled: but it's so cute! :chick:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:mrgreen:
It was interesting!

Those two buzzards are cute! :loveshower:

ame

Post by ame »

first they were flying around the nest and meowing... i don't think they brought anything this time either.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

They are really cute, the nest is so big, they could sit next to each other and still have place! :mrgreen:
But I don't know if the idea of using the nest is so good, as we know ... :unsure:

ame

Post by ame »

yes, i think we all agree on that. even the crow sounded vicious! :shock:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote:They are really cute, the nest is so big, they could sit next to each other and still have place! :mrgreen:
But I don't know if the idea of using the nest is so good, as we know ... :unsure:
I think it will be ok for the Buzzards to use this nest. Considering what happened with Maisy Mallard, the Buzzards was one of the threats we were afraid of then...it was a Crow who ate the eggs in the end, wasn`t it? Can a Crow be a threath to the Buzzards? I think it would be very intersting to see the daily life of a Buzzards family because we have a couple in the neighbourhood, but we only see and hear them when they are out flying..
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

No, it was a WTE who ate the eggs in the end, and we saw at the feeding ground how much bigger WTE are :shock:

ame

Post by ame »

no it wasn't a crow. it was a strange WTE with dark eyes but a plumage of an adult who ate the eggs of Maisy. it was May 4th in the evening. i think that every eagle in about 50 km radius know this nest. :unsure:
ahaa: Felis found a picture already.

i think there's a songthrush singing out there. ... and now a buzzard meowing.
ame

Post by ame »

a buzzard is back!

and the other in, too. ... and one out at 18.03:

... and nearly a minute later the other.
ame

Post by ame »

ok, this time it brought a twig.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote:No, it was a WTE who ate the eggs in the end, and we saw at the feeding ground how much bigger WTE are :shock:

Oh no :shock: :help: (I always remember wrong, I have to stop :blush: ) Yes, the Buzzards looks so big alone in the air, but compared to the eagles they look so small. But do you think a WTE (or others) will attack the Buzzards if they are staying in the nest, lying on eggs? ( just curious)
ame

Post by ame »

Lussi05 wrote: Oh no :shock: :help: (I always remember wrong, I have to stop :blush: ) Yes, the Buzzards looks so big alone in the air, but compared to the eagles they look so small. But do you think a WTE (or others) will attack the Buzzards if they are staying in the nest, lying on eggs? ( just curious)
... i wouldn't be surprised, but on the other hand WTEs take the easiest food so at least they'd scare the incubating mommy- or pappa-buzzard out and then eat the eggs.
ame

Post by ame »

at 17.57 the buzzard came after there had been some meowing around the nest.

they spent some time looking around.... the first left at 18.03 and the other 18.04

at 18.05 one buzzard brought a little twig, stayed a while and left at 18.06.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

ame wrote: ... i wouldn't be surprised, but on the other hand WTEs take the easiest food so at least they'd scare the incubating mommy- or pappa-buzzard out and then eat the eggs.
I have hopes that the Buzzards will stay here, but also worries :unsure:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”