Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by ame »

right after that the jays came to make quarrel again! one jay shrieked quite next to the camera. :rant:
then Halli returned with a green pine twig ....

.... and the jay made more quarrel!

Halli took of to scare them away and Pruuni encouraged him loudly. i think Halli stayed in the nest tree, his voice came from so close.

finally the jays went a bit further...
ame

Post by ame »

at 16.12 Pruuni opened her beak again in a way like she were trying to throw up a pellet. i din't see one coming up though. at the same time a new bird in the forest called: a rosefinch. it's one of the latest migrating birds to arrive.
ame

Post by ame »

Pruuni has been rather active in the nest all evening. the weather has been so nice that she has stayed awake and perky. every now and then she has gotten up to preen, groom, turn the egg and do some other homework, e.g. at 18.02, 18.07, 18.27, 18.42, 19.14, 20.10, 20.16, 21.10, 21.39 at least (i've been watching telly and not heard anything special)...
here she's streching and preening and looking at the forest at 21.09.

at the moment she's preening herself.
ame

Post by ame »

at 21.57 Pruuni got up and took off... and she returned about a minute later and preened a little on the side of the nest before she lay down on the egg. i guess she went to the loo. :rolleyes:

ame

Post by ame »

from 22.14 onwards there were sound of someone splashing under the nest tree again. this time i think they were wild boar. :D

... more grunting after 22.19, this time they had gone a little further ... 8-)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

22:25 Pruuni is brooding quietly in the nest. She seems to be listening to the forest sounds,though to me all is quiet. Even the birds have gone to roost for the night. :2thumbsup:
Thanks ame for all your observations today again.
How many more days to hatching ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
ame

Post by ame »

eleven. - or so. it'll be on the turn of May to June. :innocent:
good nigth from Pruuni! :wave:
Image :sleeping: :sleeping:
- today's playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCF92808AE278FDD7
ame

Post by ame »

May 21st
good morning! :hi:

Pruuni had woken up by 7.50 and then she did some homework in the nest after 8.

Halli came at 8.42.

he landed on the back rim of the nest and Pruuni began calling

then he jumped back to the back branch. i don't think he brought any breakfast for Pruuni because she kept calling and looking at Halli. he jumped into the nest over Pruuni who in her turn climbed to the backbranch and then took off. no cheerful calling from the forest afterwards. Halli settled on the egg.

just before Halli showed up there were some meows from rather near and also some jay-like buzzing. also now afterwards there were some meows and some buzzing near the nest. there may have been a jay there keeping an eye on the nest and Halli.
ame

Post by ame »

at 10.14 Halli was in deep sleep when a jay came next to the nest and began this time actually singing. Halli stood up on the backrim of the nest and i think he tried to hit the jay with his wings a couple of times. then he lay back on the egg. the jay was buzzing and singing all the time... then it came to the left branch and had a long look at Halli...

then the jay made a few attacks on Halli who called a few time kaa-kaa in a relatively low voice... the jay went on circling the nest from one branch to another, buzzing and singing for a long time, at least 10 minutes... strange was that it shrieked in the usual jay-way only two or three times.

i think it's still somewhere not too far, i think i hear its voice. doesn't the jay have better things to do? -on the other hand: all kinds of bird chicks, including jays (jaylets? :whistling: ) are on the menu of buzzards. -this was almost a declaration of war. :shock:

yes, the jay is still buzzing there....
edit: at 10.35 there were some meows from not very near and by a jay i think. at 10.47 Halli is sleeping again.. :sleep:
ame

Post by ame »

i think i have heard jay's voices, those low buzzes every now and then from somewhere near the camera, but no-one has come to pick quarrel... so far.

most of the time Halli has been sleeping, but sometimes he has stood up to turn the egg and preen himself.
ame

Post by ame »

at 13.40 another visit by jays.

this time two jays were harassing Halli for about 10 minutes. they made several dives quite over him but i don't think they bombed Halli (like fieldfares would). Halli lay tightly down on the egg and didn't waste energy in saying anything.

jays were jumping from branch to another, sometimes in sight but mostly out of the picture. at one point the other was rattling on the camera. :D

ame

Post by ame »

ame

Post by ame »

after 13.51 i think the jays had retrieved a little further to the right, their voices came from there... and almost at the same time Halli began to sleep. he's got nerves of steel! :2thumbsup:

a while later there was still some jay buzzing.. Halli got up and climbed on the back of the nest. he preened and streched himself there as if nothing had happened. then there was a kaa-kaa which could be Pruuni or a jay...? that has repeated several times later. there have still been jay-buzzes, too, so i suppose those have been jay's voices.
ame

Post by ame »

there's a jay up in the nest tree all the time but it's so high that it can't be seen in the live camera picture, but in Pontu pictures it can be seen. they really seem to have a mission today. :slap:
ame

Post by ame »

at 15.07 Pruuni arrived. they talked a little and then Halli took off. Pruuni lay down on the egg.

ame

Post by ame »

at 15.13 Pruuni began calling: there was a jay again up in the tree. it shrieked and flew away...

... but another stayed in the nest tree, shieking first at Pruuni and finally it began to sing to her.

the jay is still there somewhere out of our sight but Pruuni is looking at it. the jay is buzzing.... maybe more than one.

and it flew across the picture and shrieked at Pruuni loud and many times! :shock:
and in the end it sang to Pruuni! :D
ame

Post by ame »

the jay is back again, keeping company to Pruuni. she doesn't seem to be happy though. she complains loudly, probably telling the jay to get lost.... but it won't. :slap:

ame

Post by ame »

at 17.06 Halli brought a big vole to Pruuni. i think it must have been a water vole.

Pruuni took it into the forest and called cheerfully from there. :laugh:

i'll be off-camera the rest of the evening. Götterdämmerung!
borje

Post by borje »

Ame,
Your pictures of the fights between the attacking jay and the defending buzzards are wonderful.
Because of the beauty of the jay, I can not but feel a little sympathy for this bird.
According to my bird books the sounds o the buzzards and the jay are quite similar.

Borje
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

ame wrote:there's a jay up in the nest tree all the time but it's so high that it can't be seen in the live camera picture, but in Pontu pictures it can be seen. they really seem to have a mission today. :slap:
Are the jays trying to lull Halli and Pruuni into distraction..so they can pounce on the egg..?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”