Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Buzzard Nest Webcam Discussion - 2012 ESTLAT

Post by ame »

great video! thank you Felis. :wave: i don't "believe" in the F-book either so if you hadn't posted this video here it would have gone un-noticed for me.

i think this video justifies a phrase about WTEs which is one of my favourites. it's in an old birdbook that i have: (The Great Birdbook by Gunnar Svärdson and Sigfrid Durangon, edited and adapted to Finnish circumstances by Olavi Hildén and Pentti Linkola, published by Otava in 1955). it has a picture of a young WTE ( by A Christiansen on page 503) and the caption says: "The sea-eagle seen from close distance is quite disproportionately huge for a bird." :mrgreen:
and the eaglet in the picture isn't even in any person' lap! :laugh:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

You are welcome :wave: But I do hope it'll be also shared on the main page some time! Right now something seems to be a bit wrong, with the LK site, with the forum ... :puzzled:

I found the look of those youngsters really heartwarming! How patiently they wait out getting the rings, getting the transmitter and being hauled up again!
I'd like to thank Urmas, Joosep and the camera team for making and sharing the film! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Bea

Post by Bea »

Yes, they are so impressing beautiful birds :loveshower:

Did you see the size of the rings ??? Wow!!! :shock: And these huge beaks ??? :faint:

When Urmas and Joosep carried the birds one could see the size human-WTE (young!) And laying down they didn`t flutter or make a racket or so .... just waiting that "THIS" is over :nod:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Felis silvestris wrote:Does it fit here? On Facebook LK shared a video of the ringing of the WTE by Urmas and Joosep on 28th June

Thank you Felis for posting this.
The video gives us an idea of what is required to undertake the ringing/tagging of a WTE.
1st You have to enjoy boating,then walking for kms through marchland in all weathers.
2nd You have to be a good climber,have a head for heights.
3rd have the skill and patience with sometimes angry youngsters,pluck them from the nest..or sit on a nest at huge heights.
3a Catch escaped birds (when they fly prematurely from the nest LOL)
4th Have the knowledge about birds/raptors in the wild.
5th Be a learned wildlife enthousiast who dedicates his every moment to the raptors.
6th Be a tecnhician who can fix webcameras in strategic points to watch the nests.
7th Strong enough to carry heavy battery equipment through kms sometimes in the snow.
In short,a dedicated person. I know one,or two. :innocent:
You saw them there on the video. :bow:
I forgot.. :blush: you even have to know how to sew. :wave: :laugh:
If I forgot anything else,add it on.
Do not forget to donate to help Kotkaklubi/The Eagle Club.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Bea

Post by Bea »

Written very well, macdoum :2thumbsup: :thumbs:
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Macdoum, add "catch escaped birds"
This young eaglets actually escaped the nest, but weren´t very good in flying yet. So Urmas and Joosep got them on the ground and after ringing brought back to the nest.
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Manu

Post by Manu »

Thanks to Felis to share this video here..
Thanks to Macdoum to found that truely words what Urmas, Renno, Joseph and all others done...
To save all this beautiful animals and we can watch this wonderful cameras :nod: .
ame

Post by ame »

macdoum: i think you forgot mosquitos! :mrgreen:

i downloaded the vidoe to my PC and then took some snapshots from it. first two pictures which give some idea of the size of the eaglets. one should remember that a full-grown adult female like Linda must be even bigger!
"an disproportionately huge bird"! :laugh:
Image.....Image

here's Urmas with an eaglet. he seems to be enjoying himself... :whistling:
ame

Post by ame »

these eaglets got little satellite transmitter backbags sown to their back.

Starling

Post by Starling »

Those "birdies" are huge! :faint:
But somehow they looked so calm and gentle while they were ringed. :loveshower:
ame

Post by ame »

the bigger eaglet was not as calm about the procedure as the smaller who was equipped first with the transmitter and rings. it looked much unhappier than the smaller. here the rings are still on the blanket waiting: the white&blue Estonian country ring and the year ring carrying the identification numbers. it seems to be all-black for year 2012 (OHansen: could you add this in your list off ring colours?) it seems that the identification ring is now made bigger than the country ring. they seemed to be of equal sizes in the feeding ground last winter. ..or does it just look bigger because it's so dark..? EO79 is this youngster. :D

this is the smaller eaglet's ring: EO80. :nod:
the size of the ring is impressive compared to the fingers of Joosep the ringer.

here's the link to the album in the Bucket where these and a lot more pictures and the video can be found:
http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... 012-06-28/
ALL ARE COPYRIGTH REISIJUTUD / KOTKAKLUBI /Looduskalender. :bow:
ame

Post by ame »

Starling wrote:Those "birdies" are huge! :faint:
But somehow they looked so calm and gentle while they were ringed. :loveshower:
i think i heard Urmas saying something about golden eagles on the video (kaljukotkad). i guess that he was making a comparison to them, that the golden eagle youngsters are much feistier than WTE young. i think i heard some similar talk under the LSE nest, too, when Stephi was ringed. and i think i remember reading about them that golden eagle youngster are difficult to ring. these WTEaglets are pieces of cake compared to them, like turtle doves. :mrgreen:

-eaglets altogether are easy cases compared to ural owls! their mothers are really dangerous to the ringers: they can tear the scalp off the head and puncture eyes if the ringer is not wearing a helmet. :shock:
and even with a helmet it's not certain that no injuries happen. to the ringer that is. :unsure:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I don't know about Ural Owls, but sometimes I see in those zoo stories German TV has on program, when the keepers have to go into an owl cage, especially when there are young ones inside, to clean or work, they have to be at least two, one who does the work and one who protects the other with a broom!

But I also admired the quiet and secure way how those two eaglets were ringed! You have to be really devoted! Macdoum has listed a few very good points! :thumbs:
And I would like to just push this back into mind! If you can:
macdoum wrote:Do not forget to donate to help Kotkaklubi/The Eagle Club.
I also got such :shock: eyes seeing the rings! And remembered when Tormi was ringed last year how Joosep joked
Lost my smaller tongs, so I use these big ones; a friend laughed that I put rings on eagles with pipe tongs
For those eagles you need pipe tongs!

Ame, thanks for taking out a few snaps, nice to see them! Makes one want even more to see one of those majestic birds in real life!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

I don't know if it's of any interest, because the coments is in norwegian, but I found this little movie. It's from the Oslofjord a cold winter day, and Ulf Myrvold who made this film, is pleasantly surprised to find a young WTE, two or maybe three years old, on the ice. There are not many of them there, so it's an event. The WTE is the largest bird of prey in Norway, and it's totally protected. At the end of the film we can hear an Eagle Owl (Bubo bubo), also by the Oslofjord..
http://www.nrk.no/video/havorn_i_oslofj ... mne/natur/
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:mrgreen: And as usual, where the WTEs are, the crows to pinch the tail are not far!
Thanks for sharing this nice little film, Lussi!

Bea

Post by Bea »

Thank you, Lussi :thumbs:

This film remembers me to many beautiful hours watching the eagles here on the winter feeding ground :laugh:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Now that the season is over, if anyone would like to introduce themselves to the forum and say where they live, we have a new topic in the Social Corner just for that: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=495

(I went first ... :laugh: )

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”