ESTLAT Estonian WTE Webcam 2013

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Lussi05

Re: White-Tailed Sea Eagles 2012-2013

Post by Lussi05 »

:hi:

Looks like a footprint in the (almost) center of the nest:

But it's moving in the wind so I guess it's something from the trees.. :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

hi Lussi! :hi:
i think that the "footstep" is the small tuft of pinetwig which was there in the first pictures and later was buried in snow. today the wind has been so hard and it has been sooo cold that the snow has been both blown away and evaporated from the nest so that the twig is coming out again.
this was weather at 9:35 (with windchill -21 degrees! :shock: )

the wind sounded so unhospitable today! :slap: i heard only few bird's voices but didn't see any. i suppose the wind was so freezing high up in the treetop that every sane bird would not fly so high and get exposed to that wind.
and this is the prediction for next 5 days:
ame

Post by ame »

today the camera had turned on at 8:37 (wasn't on at 8:35 yet). the first picture at 8:38:

at 16:19:53 the camera turned off. the was a pinkish stripe of light in the sky behind the sea in the North (usually, if possible, these cameras are pointed so that South and midday sun will be behind our backs; i have no knowledge of the direction so this is just a guess).

here's a clip of night coming... :sleep: :wave:

some other clips with nothing but some sounds on them.
this is just morning with no special voices (maybe a great spotted woodpecker working?) at 8:38: http://youtu.be/BAoAmWYjhi8
voices of bullfinches at 11:05: http://youtu.be/59HONOiBnvI
voices of jay and willowtit at 15:41: http://youtu.be/IEWt1DtBirc
ame

Post by ame »

December 24th
the camera turned on at 8:37.
yesterday's wind was not nothing compared to what wind is like now. :slap:
http://youtu.be/aTib67W_pEs
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

:hi: Hello, Ame! This is going to be a great view when the nesting begins.

A few flakes of snow fly by on the wind.

Now I am going off to bed. It is very late for me.
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

a big flock of little birds swifted by and some even landed on the nest. it all took well less than 5 s, maybe just 3 s, and i managed to capture just a few pictures within the last second. :laugh:
i think they were siskins (they sounded like them).
Imagecreator

it seems that VLC was able to capture some of their voices, too, right in the beginning of this clip.
the rest is just the wind roaring. :shock:
EDIT: the camera turned off sometime between 16:20 - 16:25. :sleep:

Kitty :hi: nice to see you here! :D
is your time 6 hours late from GMT (London time)? then it would be 8 hours late from EET which is the nest time (Estonian) and your video would then be recorded at 9:39 or nearly 9:40 local time?
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Yes, Ame, my time zone is 8 hours behind EET. When it is noon my time, it is 20:00 (8:00 pm) in Estonia. So I took my photo & video at about 1:40 a.m. in my time zone, which would be about 9:40 a.m. local nest time.
Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

December 25th
the camera was on when i opened it after 9 am. it was still windy and snowing more than yesterday.
here's a clip from the morning with some bullfinch voices. they seem to live around here: their voice can be heard almost daily close to the camera.

during the morning the connection cut off every now and then but restarted again untill about noon. then then transmission stopped completely and refused to restart. too bad weather i suppose.

ok Kitty, thanks. :thumbs:
Alice is more to the West of you in Oregon and she is 10 hours behind EET. Vaino in Florida is 7 hours behind.
i don't think we have had any members from the East who would be ahead of the nest. :dunno:

EDIT: in the afternoon the camera was transmitting for some time after 3 pm, but even then the picture was freezing and jamming. some new snow had fallen on the branches on the side of the nest. it didn't sound so terribly windy any more.
:wave:
ame

Post by ame »

December 26
the camera started at normal time 8:38 this morning but stopped again right away. a little later it restarted and worked for a while. the weather was calm and clear but cloudy still.
a willowtit was somewhere near the nest making voices.

after about half an hour the camera began to jam again, stopped, restarted and then refused to restart all together at about 9:15 and it hasn't started again since that. the weather should be quite ok with -6 degrees and almost no wind except a breeze from the South.
weather at 9:35:

the prediction for 5 days:
ame

Post by ame »

just as i wrote the camera worked for a minute, long enough to capture a picture, but then it cut off again! :slap:
then after a minute a new restart... this a bit unreliable now... maybe it'll stay on.
edit: the picture comes and goes...
edit 2nd time at 15:55: the camera stayed on for about 20 minutes but then it dropped of at 12:53 and has refused to restart since that. now it is becoming too dark... :sleep:
ame

Post by ame »

December 27
the camera started at 8:42, at normal time. the zoom has changed to a wider angle view. the weather is stormy with strong gusps of wind and it also sounds like rain. there are white "blobs" on the lens which may be snow or sleet. voices of little birds. :rolleyes:

ame

Post by ame »

what strange colours! :shock: sun is peeking! :peek: :shake:
Urmas

Post by Urmas »

Actually the zoom is not changed, only there is less snow in nest...
ame

Post by ame »

good heavens, so it is! :slap: an optical illusion! :rotf:
the temperature has risen quicky, maybe already yesterday. it's +2 degrees now and the wind is from South.

the camera dropped off-line at 10:26 and refuses to come back again. :unsure:
ame

Post by ame »

the camera kept on playing tricks till 12:58 when it began to work again properly. it was on the rest of the day till it went to sleep at 16:11. it was windy and dark and it also rained occasionally during the afternoon. there were some magpie's and willowtit's voices, but not much.
:wave:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

December 28

Good morning :hi:

10:17 - New snow that looks wet and heavy, and windy..
ame

Post by ame »

the camera was tricky again in the morning and before noon. only after about 12:30 it started to run without breaks. it started transmission at 8:43 with new wet looking snow on the nest and all around.

in the afternoon every now and then it rained something which sounded like icy droplets (like at 14:50 and 15:22: http://youtu.be/1Ko14XX048Q)
and occasionally big flakes of snow like wet towels were coming down (like at 15:31)
ame

Post by ame »

there weren't many bird's voices at all during the day. at 16:00 a willow tit was calling close to the nest.

after 4 pm the night began to fall. one cloud travelling from the North was lit by the setting sun with cold yellow light through an opening in lower clouds. (i think that the camera might be looking to West because the sun was on our left at 10 am yesterday).
at 16:18 the camera went to sleep. :sleep:

... :wave:
the playlist of todays videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... QTWQgs_K3K

December 29th begins below
(by Kitty: thank you! :wave: )
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Thank you, Ame, for your pictures, videos, & gifs. It won't be long, I hope, before we see the eagles.

This morning, very peaceful:

Kitty KCMO
ame

Post by ame »

the camera was on at 8:46 when i opened it. it probably has started earlier because the weather is clear and calm (but not quite sunny though). the transmission is also continous now that there's no wind.
a dog was barking somewhere and then i think there was a fieldfare nearby making some voices.

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”