Estonian WTE Webcam 2016

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

ame

Re: Estonian WTE Webcam 2016

Post by ame »

Anne7, i think i know what you think this meant, but it does not necessarily mean that. i'd be very surprised if the eaglet had been fishing himself. :rolleyes:
the eaglet probably got the fish from a parent. :whistling:

16:22 an eaglet flew by the nest tree to the right.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

ame wrote:Anne7, i think i know what you think this meant, but it does not necessarily mean that. i'd be very surprised if the eaglet had been fishing himself. :rolleyes:
the eaglet probably got the fish from a parent. :whistling:
Yes Ame, I know, he is probably far to young to catch a fish on his own :puzzled: (except, perhaps, if there are so many fishes, and the water isn't deep, that you just have to pick them up?). But even 'stealing' a fish from a parent, and flying away with it, would already be good news! The boys grow up strong and quickly!
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

About hunting skills:

Q: Do young eagles learn to hunt from their parents or are their skills innate?
A: An excellent question. Young eagles from wild nests develop their hunting skills on their own, but spend considerable time after they fledge watching their parents and undoubtedly learning by watching what the adults do. The actual skills involved are learned by trial and error, I'm sure.
(Much of the hunting skill (or at least the drive to hunt) is innate, as our hacked eagles were fledged into an environment without adults around to "teach" or "show" these young birds. Yet, these birds, again through trial and error, learned to hunt for themselves and survive. We felt it was important to continue to provide food at our hacking towers after the eaglets fledged, to give them a source of food for as long as they needed it. Eventually, each eagle at it's own pace, these young birds stopped using our offerings and began foraging on their own.)
Similarly in the wild, the adult parents will continue to provide food for some time after fledging, while the newly flighted birds hone not only their hunting skills, but there flying skills. On average, I would say it takes about 4-12 weeks for young eagles to start hunting successfully. True, fully refined, specialized hunting skills, probably take years to develop.

Source: https://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/eagle ... wer04.html
This is about bald eagles, but they are so close to WTE, that the behavior must be very similar.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

:hi: everyone.
Does anyone know the last time that Uku was seen?
EveningSun

Post by EveningSun »

18.59. An eaglet? can be seen on the nearby tree.

Couple of minutes later he flew to the nest tree. I think all of the kids are sitting on their home pine now, because one of them was screaming very close to the microphone.
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Cessie wrote::hi: everyone.
Does anyone know the last time that Uku was seen?
I don't know. I also have the impression that we didn't see him very recently. :puzzled:
— Irene Pepperberg
ieze

Post by ieze »

Uku and Nord seem to be gone fishing :rotf:

Seriously though, I think two eaglets have been heard in the forest today?
Humans are emotional. Animals are rational.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Uku has fulfilled its dutyb :laugh:
he will be in nearby. But he no longer will feeding the Kids. the kids should eat alone, but the nest is gone. A new situation for all. a bad situation! particularly for Taibu.
Catha

Post by Catha »

Liz01 wrote:Uku has fulfilled its dutyb :laugh:
he will be in nearby. But he no longer will feeding the Kids. the kids should eat alone, but the nest is gone. A new situation for all. a bad situation! particularly for Taibu.
Peolpe have said earlier today in the forum that Taibu is ok, and now you say that the situation is bad för her?! This is what many of us who haven't the knowledge was worrying about but some people here calm it down! So exactly what do you mean by that can you explain? Are Taibu in danger now then to manage all this do you mean?
Catha

Post by Catha »

19:58 a parent come flying in, then the same fly out again, and two eaglets flying after directly, and Taibu sitting on the parents tree and looking! Oh i would be so happy if she flying after the others, little girl <3
Pirjo & Bosse

Post by Pirjo & Bosse »

Mother (?) made a fly-by with a fish, landed in the forest in front of our view.
To brothers flew after her - both clearly seened
Nature is often cruel and ruthless, but always with a purpose (hard to see sometimes though...).
But no way near the cruelty of humans..!
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Liz01 wrote:Uku has fulfilled its dutyb :laugh:
Catha wrote: Peolpe have said earlier today in the forum that Taibu is ok, and now you say that the situation is bad för her?! This is what many of us who haven't the knowledge was worrying about but some people here calm it down! So exactly what do you mean by that can you explain? Are Taibu in danger now then to manage all this do you mean?
Taibu is not in danger! She has no nest, therefore she can not eat alone. this is what I mean, with "poor situation" she needs to be fed, because she can not eat on a branch. it is a bit to early for her. As we all can see, it does not work particularly well.
Anna will ensure, that they will not starve :2thumbsup:
Cessie

Post by Cessie »

19:57 I think a fish is coming....all the kids are screaming!!
19:58 Parent flew by, I didn't see fish. :slap:

Liz01, I didn't know that Uku would not be providing fish for the eaglets any more.
:puzzled:
Mutikluti, when Urmas went to the nest site to search for Haku, did he get a picture of both parents per chance?
Anyway, we should still be able to see Uku fly near the nest site, and please Ame, Mutikluti, Liz01 or who ever has a screenshot or pontu picture please repost it. :bow:
If Anna is doing all of the work to provide and protect her eaglets..... :bow: :faint:
star-o

Post by star-o »

Has Taibu lost her voice? :puzzled: She looks so calm. :unsure:
Catha

Post by Catha »

Liz01 Oki then i understand what you mean, i really hope they get it fast and that Taibu soon begins to fly to :)
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Taibu's baby fat will all be gone soon and she'll be ready to fletch. Then there will be more eating/self-feeding possibilities for her, I hope.
dannella

Post by dannella »

EveningSun wrote:18.59. An eaglet? can be seen on the nearby tree.

[img http://i069.radikal.ru/1607/f1/eb07d0a846f8.png /img]

Couple of minutes later he flew to the nest tree. I think all of the kids are sitting on their home pine now, because one of them was screaming very close to the microphone.
Uku ? live ? :loveshower:
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

Catha wrote: Peolpe have said earlier today in the forum that Taibu is ok, and now you say that the situation is bad för her?! This is what many of us who haven't the knowledge was worrying about but some people here calm it down! So exactly what do you mean by that can you explain? Are Taibu in danger now then to manage all this do you mean?
If one is looking for bad news - he can always find it :mrgreen:

What LIZ said, was about the fact that the nest fall down, which was felt by all members of this family.
The 2 boys fledged without practicing flight and landing skills, they didn't made a full branching period and didn't learn to "catch a fish" or defending (mantling) their prey. It's harder to learn all this without a nest.

Since Taiba is alone most of the time, she is learning all this by herself, But it's possible. Last year we had 1 eaglet and he did it all alone, but he had a solid ground on the nest and it made life easier.
Abigyl

Post by Abigyl »

From where are all those pessimistic msgs coming from? :puzzled:

We never had so many of them before, even in real bad times. :rolleyes:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”