Names for WTEagles

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

Rita

Re: Names for WTEagles

Post by Rita »

Has the vote been opened already? I missed it.

Edit: Just read ame's info post about the voting in the other thread.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

:hi: Rita
Rita wrote: June 10th, 2018, 3:29 pm Konrad, you are joking, aren't you? :shock:
We are in 21st century - anyway, how old are you? Are you an old man with outdated behaviour patterns for females and gender stereotyping?? :mrgreen:
I was not joking, but we are talking about totally different things.
You are talking about nice type of a 21st century woman, I was talking about an eaglet. :laugh:

This eaglet has been very silent and behaving in a very modest way. In fact, about week ago I already wondered in my mind if it is biologically possible, that a WtE cannot produce normal voices at all. :puzzled: When the eaglet was fed, it was just lying, sitting or standing next to the parent, but making hardly any noise. Very unusual in my opinion. Now there is no doubt about her ability to even scream. ...

We humans have different thoughts also when giving names to babies. Some want to give a name describing the baby as it is, some others prefer giving a name that describes how the parents would like the baby to be. If I understood correct, for example you and Ame think in the latter way.
Ele

Post by Ele »

constant.gardener wrote: June 12th, 2018, 7:34 pm I saw that someone suggested "Sola" which in my opinion is a nice name. What sort of name is it? Is it a genuine Estonian name? If so, I'd vote for Sola.
My thoughts are: Sola sounds like Solo which means "only". Our girl is the one and only chick in the nest ... despite it looked like there could have been two as well. But, unfortunately, the second egg broke.
Sorry, but Sola is not Estonian name and has no meaning in Estonia or for Estonians. The same with Siri, but there is and Estonian version Siiri.
ame

Post by ame »

ok, i'll take Sola out of the list and change Siri to Siiri.

the voting will begin on Friday. you have still time to suggest names, but i think that we need no more suggestions.
lõvi

Post by lõvi »

RUTT - she must quickly study to flying.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Trine wrote: June 10th, 2018, 2:45 pm A good question :puzzled:
Google gave me this article: https://www.ohtuleht.ee/665248/100-vage ... -saagimini :innocent:
Thanks for the list, Trine. There was one very interesting name. No, I don’t mean Anu Saagim. 8-)

The opera singer Miliza Korjus (1909–1980) had a wonderful voice. Most of us have certainly heard her old recording ”Warum?”. Miliza is also a nice name. Miliza Korjus was a very international person, born in Warsaw and living later at least in the Soviet Union, Estonia, Germany, Mexico and USA. Her father was of Estonian origin.

Anyway, I do not suggest Miliza, because the name itself does not sound very Estonian in my ears. There is an Internet page (the reliability of which I slightly doubt), telling that the name would be of Portuguese origin. That site tells that the name would mean ”She who possesses strength”, so some of us would possibly like it. :laugh:

http://www.behindaname.com/meaning-of-n ... MILIZA.php
sova

Post by sova »

Konrad wrote: June 14th, 2018, 12:37 pm The opera singer Miliza Korjus (1909–1980)

at home we write Miliza (Milica) :D
well .... the world is small
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

sova wrote: June 14th, 2018, 12:45 pm at home we write Miliza (Milica) :D
well .... the world is small
Yes, it is used in that form (Milica) in some Slavic countries.
I checked the Estonian name database and no one (or less than five persons) has Miliza as her name in Estonia now.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Does anyone know if Eha has been used for some eaglet or other bird already?

It is at least an old name, as the database tells that almost no one under 30 years of age is named Eha. Yet, it is the 62. most popular female name. :nod:
https://www.stat.ee/public/apps/nimed/ (You have to add Eha into the search field yourself)

edit: I do not suggest Eha. :laugh:

And a description of the name with vivid imagination: http://www.behindaname.com/meaning-of-n ... e_eha.html :rotf:
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Konrad wrote: June 14th, 2018, 1:15 pm Does anyone know if Eha has been used for some eaglet or other bird already?
Eha was the female LSE whom nest we watched in 2009-2014 (her mate was Koit)
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Hellem wrote: June 14th, 2018, 1:23 pm Eha was the female LSE whom nest we watched in 2009-2014 (her mate was Koit)
OK, thanks Hellem :thumbs:

Then I take back my suggestion. It is better to vote for some other name.
Ele

Post by Ele »

Konrad wrote: June 14th, 2018, 12:37 pm Thanks for the list, Trine. There was one very interesting name. No, I don’t mean Anu Saagim. 8-)

The opera singer Miliza Korjus (1909–1980) had a wonderful voice. Most of us have certainly heard her old recording ”Warum?”. Miliza is also a nice name. Miliza Korjus was a very international person, born in Warsaw and living later at least in the Soviet Union, Estonia, Germany, Mexico and USA. Her father was of Estonian origin.

Anyway, I do not suggest Miliza, because the name itself does not sound very Estonian in my ears. There is an Internet page (the reliability of which I slightly doubt), telling that the name would be of Portuguese origin. That site tells that the name would mean ”She who possesses strength”, so some of us would possibly like it. :laugh:

http://www.behindaname.com/meaning-of-n ... MILIZA.php
Interesting coincidence. If you like opera we had also a Soviet period famous opera singer Anu Kaal - so you'ld like the name Anu after all :) She is well known but culturally most relevant is probably Miina Härma - the first Estonian female professional composer. Good sounding name, too.
ame

Post by ame »

it's time for voting for the name.
the voting will begin on Friday and will be closed on Sunday morning at 10.
i think that's enough time. we want to have a name on our beauty.

each member has one vote. the last opinion counts.
i'll take into account also as votes those who have suggested a name. i'll make a smart EXCEL table of the votes. :mrgreen:

i have collected below the names that have been suggested. we have so many choices here that i hope that the votes don't spread evenly over all of the list. :slap:

Eliise
Helbe
Henna
Irja
Jana
Jutta
Kaisa
Maimu
Maive
Meri
Merili
Minna
Pilvi
Rutt
Salme
Senni
Signe
Siiri
Sirje
Sirli
Sisi
Sulvi
Säde
Tuule
Ursula
saluki

Post by saluki »

Is it time for voting? Maimu is a suitable name for our Little Princess! :chick:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

I vote for Siiri.
MaryJane

Post by MaryJane »

Voting for Tuule.
Marika

Post by Marika »

Sulvi

Nive combination of parent's names :thumbs:
Rita

Post by Rita »