Estonian white-tailed sea eagle nest camera 2018

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

rebelde

Re: Estonian white-tailed sea eagle nest camera 2018

Post by rebelde »

Crissy wrote: July 14th, 2018, 6:25 pm but how can she be that selfish and not think about us, who are patiently waiting for her to show up :mrgreen: ( a joke)
Yeah, first she cleans the lens and then gives us a teaser (the maiden flight) but where's the show?? I want my money back! :rant:
:rotf:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

One thing that has called some people's attention here and in the Latvian nest chat (Cam 1, with Raimis and Milda and their two fledged chicks): the parents don't call for the chicks, and much depends on the chicks' own activity in making themselves known and heard. I haven't heard Suvi or Sulev answering to Sulvi's calls, but most likely they have always found her in the end or vice versa. With Anna and Uku there was a lot of calling also from the parents. Maybe their territory was under more attacks or threats by other birds and they had to make what must have been territorial sounds more often?? Anyhow, I see that there's a parent with food standing in the otherwise empty latvian nest, waiting and looking around but not calling - a little bit like Suvi was in "our" nest ruins some days ago...
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

rebelde wrote: July 14th, 2018, 6:53 pm Yeah, first she cleans the lens and then gives us a teaser (the maiden flight) but where's the show?? I want my money back! :rant:
:rotf:
I agree, this is fraud :laugh:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

RNS wrote: July 14th, 2018, 8:54 am Oh I feel dizzy! I'm not sure I can watch this cam - I can't breathe! How do they stay there when there is storm? Yes, I know, of course they do. But what a location!
RNS :wave: I definitely agree! It has been horrible to watch that nest on windy days. :laugh: The birds are there like in a carousel. :rotf:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

rebelde wrote: July 14th, 2018, 5:46 pm ... earlier link to a picture of the nest tree (taken in the winter)? It shows that there are no such extensive branches in it at all, so the morning action must have happened in the pine tree in front of the nest tree....
Rebelde :wave: Actually there are quite normal branches on about 3-4 levels under the nest, although the tree looks very ascetic in the winter picture. Here are 1) that picture taken from the ground and 2) another picture taken from the air by Triin:
Triin wrote: February 14th, 2018, 10:32 am I'll add another picture from the camera installation - Urmas climbing to the nest.
This nest is probably one of the highest WTE nests in Estonia. We figured that the nest platform is around 23 m from the ground.

Triin wrote: February 5th, 2018, 1:37 pm
In the second picture we can see that there are at least two levels of healthy and long branches under that curved branch, to which the Y-stick is now attached to. Those two branches are pointing to the same direction as the curved branch. We can also see the real shape of the curved branch. There is so much lens distortion in the video stream picture, that the branch looks almost so curved it could break any moment. :laugh:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Konrad wrote: July 14th, 2018, 9:49 pm Rebelde :wave: Actually there are quite normal branches on about 3-4 levels under the nest, although the tree looks very ascetic in the winter picture.
Konrad :hi: I see, yes. Thanks for showing me! But I doubt that the branches extend as far as would be needed to "fit" the morning twigs' location. They seem to belong to that big, healthy looking pine in front of the nest tree. :nod:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Unfortunately I am pretty sure, that a squirrel caused that branch to move in the morning. :nod: I downloaded the archive video from those moments and it looks very much that our visitor jumped from the lower level of the nest (Sulvi’s previous bedroom) to another branch. I do not know, how accurate the starting times of the archive files are, but let’s assume that the video started exactly at 5:02 in the morning.

5:57:45 Noises like a small animal walking, scratching and knocking some wood started. Watching the video again, I heard that Sulvi called at that time, not close.
5:58:09 That light-grey thing (a thin stem of a dry twig or something) started to be moved by someone. It was moved again at 5:58:33.

5:58:41 A squirrel (in my opinion) jumped to a new branch. I will not participate any nature photography contest with this picture :laugh: , but that dark-brown spot moved like a squirrel on the video. I could not get a better picture even running the video at 1/8 speed...

After that, we could see the branch bend downwards.

Unfortunately the assumed squirrel went so quickly inside the branch, behind the pine needles, that I did not see, where it went from there.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Konrad wrote: July 14th, 2018, 10:15 pm Unfortunately I am pretty sure, that a squirrel caused that branch to move in the morning. :nod: I downloaded the archive video from those moments and it looks very much that our visitor jumped from the lower level of the nest (Sulvi’s previous bedroom) to another branch.
:wave: Konrad - you really like that squirrel, don't you! :laugh:
Could you please upload the video which you're talking about? It didn't even cross my mind that such big movement in a tree could be caused by a small creature. :slap:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

rebelde wrote: July 15th, 2018, 2:02 am Konrad - you really like that squirrel, don't you! :laugh:
Could you please upload the video which you're talking about? It didn't even cross my mind that such big movement in a tree could be caused by a small creature.
Rebelde :wave: Now as you took that into conversation, I must admit I have started to like my squirrel’s cute tail and round cheeks. :faint: As a matter of fact, I have started to call her Marilyn. :rolleyes: As a good friend of mine, you can also use that name of her.
The name is obvious, when you look at the shining silvery blond hair around Marilyn’s eyes. :loveshower: ...

Sorry, but I don’t think I will make any short video clip of those moments. Perhaps I could publish it, but maybe we ask someone more experienced video wizard like, for example, that always friendly Liz to make it? You can do the same as I and download that file from the Pontu archive, but those files are quite large chunks. That single file was almost 6 GB, because it consists about 4 hours of the stream. It takes some time to download, unless you have a very fast Internet connection...

The address of the Pontu archive is in the message #1: https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 70#p557770
The file names show the time when the recording has started, in this case ”merikotkas-2018-07-14-0502.mkv” Mkv-files can be watched for example with the free VLC Media Player -application.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

July 15
Good morning! :hi:

The heat wave is expected to stay around in Estonia at least for some days, with temperatures reaching 30°C and perhaps a little above that.
Therefore it would be very good for Sulvi to get enough food with the water in that food. Suvi and Sulev certainly take care of that. :2thumbsup:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Konrad wrote: July 15th, 2018, 3:45 am Now as you took that into conversation, I must admit I have started to like my squirrel’s cute tail and round cheeks. :faint:
Good morning Konrad "the Mischievous"! :D
It's always fun to disagree with you. 8-)
Unfortunately there's no way I could download the archive video, because I know that my computer would freeze for good.

I like your choice of name for the little friend. I called my first doll Marilyn :shake:
Biker

Post by Biker »

:hi:

Konrad, rebelde, if i want to make a short video of a archive video, i play with eg VLC, (search the scene), press record button.
Without save the whole (6GB in that case) on my PC.
unfortunately are the merikotas videos this season difficult to handle, because of the bad quality i think. In addition, the missing time stamp complicates this.
but otherwise it works very well in this way.
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Biker wrote: July 15th, 2018, 4:51 am Konrad, rebelde, if i want to make a short video of a archive video, i play with eg VLC, (search the scene), press record button.
Biker :wave:
Thanks a lot for your advice. I have never even thought you could save something with the free VLC. :slap: I have only used it for playing videos.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

6:35 Not a single certain eagle voice heard by me by now.
There was some talk earlier by some of us, that Urmas and Renno should go to the nest to fix it.

I have thought about a To-Do-List for Urmas and Renno. These are just my more or less humorous starting points. Anyone can add own opinions.

To Do List for Urmas and Renno
1. Take a shotgun and kill those cranes, because their voice disturbs me.
2. Go and build a small log cabin for the eagles in the tree. Preferably with a small door.
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Sorry for this question, but has anyone of you heard a small-bore rifle (.22 about) shot ? I think I heard it both today and also yesterday. Hopefully I am wrong.
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

Konrad wrote: July 15th, 2018, 6:36 am I have thought about a To-Do-List for Urmas and Renno. These are just my more or less humorous starting points. Anyone can add own opinions.
To Do List for Urmas and Renno
1. Take a shotgun and kill those cranes, because their voice disturbs me.
2. Go and build a small log cabin for the eagles in the tree. Preferably with a small door.
Good (and hot) morning from Estonia :wave:

I would suggest an air conditioner and a mosquito magnet. And maybe a miniature helipad for taking off and landing. That`s a least Urmas and Renno could do :D
Crissy

Post by Crissy »

I`ve been listening on and off the livestream - no sound of Sulvi so far. I believe she was last heard yesterday in the afternoon or so?
RNS

Post by RNS »

Konrad wrote: July 15th, 2018, 7:03 am Sorry for this question, but has anyone of you heard a small-bore rifle (.22 about) shot ? I think I heard it both today and also yesterday. Hopefully I am wrong.
I'm quite sure I heard a gun shot in the surroundings of the nest some weeks ago, but I have no idea what type.
Drosera

Post by Drosera »

Crissy wrote: July 15th, 2018, 10:14 am 10.12

I`ve been listening on and off the livestream - no sound of Sulvi so far. I believe she was last heard yesterday in the afternoon or so?
Hi Crissy. :wave:
I have been online for an hour now and no sound of Sulvi as you said. I heard her yesterday afternoon round half past three. Just few calls and quite far away. It would be soooo nice to see Sulvi visiting the nest. :D
RNS

Post by RNS »

Sound of big wings at about 10.28. Like someone leaving a branch somewhere close. At 10.31 a short pigeon call. Maybe it was a pigeon moving?

If there have been humans around somewhere, that's a reason to stay silent?

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”