Estonian white-tailed sea eagle nest camera 2018

Webcam Watching over White-tailed Eagles nest

Moderator: ame

rebelde

Re: Estonian white-tailed sea eagle nest camera 2018

Post by rebelde »

So it's been 4 hours from the previous feeding, which wasn't even very filling (Hellem's report) :book:

There is draught in the area and it affects everything. Maybe the parents have to go fishing to more distant places... where there is competition etc. I'm sure they are doing their best to keep the eaglet well and happy.
Timea

Post by Timea »

rebelde wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 6:09 pm :wave:

18.00 Suvi arrives - with or without fish, I cannot tell - but Timea can: it was straw :thumbs:

No feeding takes place, Suvi gives shade to our eaglet :nod:
Hi Rebelde, I zoomed the first picture and she might have a fish in her right talon after all, very difficult to be certain.
Timea

Post by Timea »

rebelde wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 6:12 pm :hi: Timea, good pictures! (So it was one minute earlier than I thought, I'll change it :laugh: )
No, no, don't change your time. My time can always be a few minutes off.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Timea wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 6:47 pm No, no, don't change your time. My time is always a few minutes off.
:hi: Ok, I thought mine is 8-)
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Timea wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 6:46 pm Hi Rebelde, I zoomed the first picture and she might have a fish in her right talon after all, very difficult to be certain.
Let's hope so. I also hope there will be a decent storage of headless fishes, easier to work on, when the ringing takes place.
I trust the ringing team and Urmas very much, and I'm sure they will take all things to account :nod:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

19.26 - 19.27 Suvi and eaglet in the nest

"Still watching us?" :rotf:

Timea

Post by Timea »

19.59:

Suvi is preening her chest feathers, Eaglet audible and every now and then the head is visible.

Good night :wave:
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

June 4

Good morning :wave:

The morning sky looks promising with clouds which might bring some hoped for rain :thumbs:

5.04 Sulev arrives and starts feeding the eaglet

5.12 Feeding...

5.15 The feeding is over, Sulev jumps to the left branch and soon leaves; it's raining :headroll:

5.24 Suvi is in the nest, the eaglet seems energized by the food and rain
5.28 Suvi has a twig in her beak and makes re-arrangements in the nest
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

5.37 Playing with mom
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

6.01 Airing the plumage
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

THE WIND :shock:

:hi:

No posts today? :puzzled: Certainly there are no wing exercises either.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

18.13 Suvi arrives with a pine twig

18.21 Sulev arrives (with what? I can't tell) - for a moment the family is together before Sulev leaves; and Suvi :slap:
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

18:20 Sulev landed, he brought nothing, 18:22 he flew away
18:23 Suvi jumped on the right branch and then flew away

Gusts of wind 17-20 m/s :slap:
Piritta

Post by Piritta »

18:28
Careful with those wing exercises in this strong wind!! :shock:
My, how the "baby" has grown! Its feathers are no more fuzzy but sleek and beautiful, and when it flaps its wings, it fills the whole nest.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

Piritta wrote: June 4th, 2018, 6:29 pm 18:28
Careful with those wing exercises in this strong wind!! :shock:
My, how the "baby" has grown! Its feathers are no more fuzzy but sleek and beautiful, and when it flaps its wings, it fills the whole nest.
:wave: Piritta, I don't think what you saw was really "wing exercise" - but if it was, it's the claws which will keep the eaglet in the nest; it's got strong talons and long claws. I'm sure the macro structure of the nest will hold, but I'm a bit worried about the micro structure - hays, twigs, small branches etc.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

janedoe

Post by janedoe »

Oh, that wind is hideous! In here central Finland the wind is also very powerful today. I went to a sightseeing tower and the wind blew so fast that the tower was shaking. :unsure:
No rain, just a couple drops every now and then. :slap:
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

:hi: Good evening and thanks for the pictures and reports.
rebelde wrote: June 4th, 2018, 6:39 pmI'm sure the macro structure of the nest will hold, but I'm a bit worried about the micro structure - hays, twigs, small branches etc.
Rebelde :wave:

Now it is very good that Urmas added those branches to the edges of the nest and they are fastened both to each other and also to the nest tree. :thumbs: We can imagine, how easily all that small material would be blown away with wind, as it has become very dry.

There is also a European weather warning page, which shows that there is now a first degree warning for hard wind and a second degree warning for forestfires in Estonia.
http://www.meteoalarm.eu/index.php?lang=en_UK
Konrad

Post by Konrad »

Tosca wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 6:28 pm Hi all, I love watching this cam but it seems an eagle has knocked the camera! I can only see the top of the adult's head. Does anyone know what happened?
Tosca
:hi: Tosca

Welcome to the forum :wave: The female eagle was standing on the camera and turned it to a new position. It is very likely, that the eaglet will be ringed in a near future. Perhaps this or next week. The camera will very probably be aimed again to the nest during the same visit.
rebelde

Post by rebelde »

2018 June 5

:wave: Good morning

The wind continues on near storm level speeds, pausing occasionally and then catching up quickly.
The nest hasn't been an ideal place to put one's head to sleep, and there may be even faster winds today from midday on until the late afternoon, but it seems that our little eaglet is ok - hungry, but not starving. There's a calmer moment going on right now, but the forecast (in Konrad's post) is a bit scary. Hope everything will go well and the nest will remain a safe place for the eaglet to mature in peace.

This picture is from 3.17, when the wind had slowed down enough for the eaglet to walk to the "toilet" at the back of the nest :whistling:

Tosca, welcome! :hi:

Return to “White-tailed Eagles Camera Forum”