Black Stork Nest in Karula, 2021

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Anne7

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula, 2021

Post by Anne7 »

Good morning, everyone!
Tatiana, good to see you! :hi:
Hello, Biker :hi:

Today, the two oldest storklets (U and P) are 64 days old.
The youngest one (T) is 62 days old.

Swenja wrote: July 31st, 2021, 11:17 am U is on the far right. But it doesn't seem to be on the remains of the old nest because it's so high up.
The old nest was much deeper. :puzzled: The nest edge is lowered so far on the right?

Hello Swenja! :hi:

Yes, the old nest was deeper. I estimated it to be about half a metre lower than the new nest.
I don’t know where U might be standing on in your picture.
Perhaps the new nest is getting bigger, wider? :puzzled:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

12:40 feeding Kaia :D
I don't know what to eat.

Hello @Anne7 :wave:
Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Our beautiful U, at 12:39:45, when he saw his mother approaching. :rolleyes:
Swenja wrote: July 31st, 2021, 12:41 pm 12:40 feeding Kaia :D
I don't know what to eat.
This may have been a frog.

And these were fish! :thumbs:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

13:13 Karl II comes :D

Fish

Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

13:13 Karl II arrived :D

Swenja :D

"Dad! This way!"

"What did you bring us? Open your beak, Dad!"

Yes, small fish, and also larger chunks of (pre-digested?) fish.
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

13:50 It rains.

14:00 It is raining heavily. The light in the forest is mesmerising.

8-)
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

14.32 Karl II again. :D :thumbs:

He flew in the rain to feed his children.
He is wet. In fact, everyone is wet. :-)

I saw fish. :laugh:
I think it was a good feeding.

:mrgreen:

— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Many thanks @Anne7 :wave:

They ate well.

Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

"Observers, look carefully. I'll show you something..."

"And? Did you like it?

I have to go. :wave:
— Irene Pepperberg
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

The last for the road... 8-)

T - P - U

They pose as if they were Princes of the Royal Blood. :D

:wave:
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

16:38 feeding Karl II :loveshower:

There was a lot of fish.

Freedom!
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Anne7 wrote: July 31st, 2021, 11:37 am Perhaps the new nest is getting bigger, wider? :puzzled:
Good afternoon.

I think this is our old branch - her favorite bend.

Did you notice how the elder brought the first prey to the nest?
(08.44.05 The restless P continues to jump, sometimes it goes very far to the right edge and only its tail is visible… The elder looks uneasily at his disappearance ...
09.03 Now the elder goes far to the right. He is tapping there with his beak, worrying, making noise with his wings, but we can see his tail.
09.05.08 backing back, the older chick brought a fairly thick branch to the nest. Congratulations to you 716U, with the first production. Well done. :D )
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

I was happy to sit at the computer in the morning...
The chicks are quite adult, but not everyone has the practice of moving to neighboring branches yet... and no one has gone to the far branches yet... they are still afraid and do not believe in their strength to walk along the branches on the left... and jump into the lower nest...on the remains of an old nest.

This morning, during the first breakfast, Karl II spent 10 seconds near the nest and 26 seconds in the nest. Is it a lot or a little? For the current age of chicks, these 36 seconds are a lot.

How much happens during this time:
07.21.02 the chicks see the parent. The older 716U one turns his tail to the camera, the younger one is in front of him, and the middle one is on the left. They become beaks to the center of the nest, forming a broken circle for the entrance to the parent, who brings them breakfast. The chicks spread their wings and begin to invitingly sing the begging song of the chicks... they sit down slightly... and as the parent approaches, they sit down and bow …

07.21.13 we see Karl II entering the nest. His neck is wet. He flew in from a fishing trip.
07.21.16, the chicks have moved closer to the father and now it is more difficult for him to get into the nest. But of course he can. The chicks grab their father by the beak, squeak like babies and ask with their whole appearance - let me eat!
07.21.20 the stork is in no hurry to step into the center of the nest and feed, as if stimulating the chicks to actively flap their wings. He stands on the very edge of the nest and does not open his beak. He lowers his head, his neck swells-you can see-there is food for children, but his beak is closed.

07.21.32 he took 2 small steps into the nest and opens his beak, covers his eyes with a cloudy film - this is protection... and the chicks grab the beak and climb inside the beak trying to pull out food.
07.21.33 we see a small fish in the nest. The feeding has begun. The children are so tightly surrounded by their father and are so actively waving their wings that Karl II is not visible at all at some point in time

07.21.34 Karl II raises his head and we see how the chicks are collecting fish.

The father's long legs allow him to take a couple of steps back, stay on the edge of the nest, turn around..
07.21.39 he's leaving. I stayed in the nest for 26 seconds....
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

Here, immediately after breakfast, there was another interesting moment:
07:31:51 the chicks dispersed to the opposite edges of the nest. The younger one looks at the older chick :
Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

For some time now, I like to listen to sounds at low speed. At this speed, you can hear things that you can't hear at normal speed.

In the morning, I was interested in how the chicks communicate and recorded at the lowest speed 1 minute of a 716P conversation that scolds the younger, listen to their voices: About the video: 05.33, a wet junior 716T jumps on the very edge of the nest. He jumps long and high - relatives do not interfere. The older ones moved closer to the camera, they gave the entire far platform to the younger one and he trains high jumps and nurses flapping wings.

05.34.00 The middle one touched the younger one's leg a little, but the younger one is so enthusiastic - he does not react
05.39 he is studying a large branch...taking aim?
The middle one says something to the younger one (listen to the video at a low speed) - he clearly stops him. An argument took place. The younger one held the beak of the middle one.

How did the dispute end? The older chick 716U came up . The middle one went to the left edge of the nest. The younger one shows a desire to step to the left of the nest - there we have a balcony - an old nest, but the younger one still does not dare to leave the nest. The older chick is carefully watching him, and the middle one is walking along the left edge of the nest.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

Good evening!
Nice to "see" and read again and many thanks, Swenja, Anne7, Biker and Tatiana60!

It's wonderful to read and look at the nice and funny pictures and videos and see that our black storks are doing so well! :rolleyes:
:2thumbsup:

Swenja, :hi:
U jumped on the curved branch again :shake:
19:37:59

Tatiana60

Post by Tatiana60 »

19:38:41 the senior on the branch, the middle one in the queue... and the younger one is meditating...

19: 49: 34 the average one stands confidently on one leg and even dozes on the edge of the nest.
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

In the YT chat (thank you!) was written that the tree fell with a great roaring sound (and yesterday too).
I tried to find and hear this moment.

Previously: what does our little P see? :rolleyes:
15:23:40

T is training :rolleyes:

Heloise

Post by Heloise »

The tree fell at 15:25:09/13
... the storklets became alert... but calmed down soon.

Heloise

Post by Heloise »

But now... at 20:21 - it is a very calm saturday evening :rolleyes:

How long is your beak?
:laugh:

Why does s/he sleep, let's preen her/him! :rolleyes:

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”