Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina ~ 2014

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Lussi05

Re: Black Stork Webcam Discussion ~ Tiit & Tiina ~ 2014

Post by Lussi05 »

Thank you for the information, Ausra :wave:
What happened this year is so sad. I was looking forward to follow the family life of Tiina and Tiit once again, but nature decides, and it´s nothing we can do about it, except from watch and learn.
I wish beautiful Tiina all the best, and I hope we will se her here again next year, healthy and safe.
Thank you to ALL that have made it possible for us to watch this cam :bow: (who knows, maybe we can get a glimpse of Tiina during the season:)

Edit: All the work she did, and the nest was so perfect. It´s so sad to see it now, empty and abandoned :cry:
Alex10100

Post by Alex10100 »

So sad everything is over. So unexpected. So wrong. What can I say - good luck to Tiina and return next year (better with Tiit)!
The season had come to an end. Actually, it had not begun at all. And everything seemed to be so good some time ago:( But now - empty nest. But nature does nothing in vain - probably it had to be like this.
Never underestimate the power of the natural world as it continues to inspire, surprise and delight.
ophelia

Post by ophelia »

Hello all stork lovers, I am heartbroken too. Tiina worked so hard to make a perfect home, and for a while she and the new male really seemed to like each other. I know we all wish Tiina a relaxing summer, but I wonder too about the male. It seems his instincts were all mixed up. I don't think he had bad intentions - only people think that way - but how can we know if this sort of behaviour has ever happened before. Perhaps they both know something about the eggs that we don't. I hope the male, whoever he was, will also find peace this summer.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Hello Ophelia,
You did very well written :thumbs: . Thank you!
There are wild animals, not people. They think and are not acting malicious.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Ophelia! I agree, thank you for your wise words :wave:
I also wish the new male all the best, and that he also can return safe and healthy next year, wherever it may be. I'm sure we all do :nod:
leonia

Post by leonia »

Even if the new male will not return to the nest, we may see Tiina from time to time. But it could even be that they have built a new nest at another place. There are many possibilities what could have happened.

And though I had hoped for a successful breeding in front of this fine cam this summer I think its better the breeding didn't start than possibly see chicks perish.

We have had white storks here in our little town every year on the rooftop of the kindergarden. This year they arrived very early in mid-February. But they are gone because of restoring works going on in and around the house which was a bit rotten. The children are at another place this spring and the working wasn't finished in time. Now our storks seem to have taken over a nest some kilometers to the northeast. This one was built by young people some years ago but was never occupied by storks. And now it finally has new owners. I hope they will have a numerous offspring there and we will visit them from time to time at their new home.

And we hope they will return to us next season . . .

Edit: at about 21.30 the boreal owl has startet calling again (its very far away, one has to listen carefully).

Edit at abut 21.45: what a noise! A helicopter was flying very near and very low above the forest.
Ausra153

Post by Ausra153 »

The unsuccessful Tina's and Tiit's season is loss not only for watchers, not only for storks of this nest, but for all Black Storks, because they are endangered species. In Lithuania they are in Red list. So I am very sad because of bad season in this wonderful nest. I am observing also few nests of White Storks, and two of them are still empty too. One is in South Germany, another Naisiai nest in Lithuania. We still are waiting for our storks, but every day the hope is decreasing. Even if storks will return, it can be too late and not enough time for juveniles to become strong enough for migration. Of course we can say, that it is Nature, it's Law, but watching at every empty nest, I every time remember how difficult travel have storks returning to home, and how many of them are dying from bullets of hunters, when they have to fly above Lebanon, where even kids are shooting them for fun. Thousands of migratory birds are dying there. So not only Nature, but also humans may be reason of not returned birds. And it is so sad, that humans can't live in harmony with Nature and it's creatures. I wish for Tina and all Black Storks all the best and hope, that they will be safe and next year will have good season. And of course, I have a little hope sometimes to see Tiina in the nest this year.
loveofnature-ohio-us

Post by loveofnature-ohio-us »

Oh, Ausra, how sad, shooting at the birds for fun. How could anyone shoot these beautiful creatures!! And then we heard possibly that DDT was sprayed in the area of their winter home.
In my country, many many years ago, DDT almost killed off the entire population of the Bald Eagle. It has long been banned and we now have eagles everywhere, so joyous to see. The DDT destroyed the shell of the egg and they weren't strong enough to be laid and incubated. No problem like that now. In the winter I watched two nests in the south, young have already fledged. Now in the north I'm watching two more and they each have three baby eaglets. Bad things happen occasionally in their nests, but that's part of nature. So far this year everyone is thriving.
So nice to visit with all of you, and I hope possibly Tiina will appear at some point before she leaves for the winter.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Its terribly sad to read that this nest has failed. I have no idea what went wrong,no more tha all of you.It all seems so strange,unusual goings-on.
Poor Tina. I hope we will see a sucessful nest next season.

:cry:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
leonia

Post by leonia »

A lot of barking of a large dog and croaking of ravens in the forest this morning. Not the usual morning concert . . .
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Maybe the new male has it's own nest, and wanted that Tiina move there.
"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

macko50 wrote:Maybe the new male has it's own nest, and wanted that Tiina move there.

What a nice idea - it would be the ideal explanation for all this season at this camera

:bounce:
Irasa

Post by Irasa »

It's really sad what happened! Maybe you have to be a stork to understand what was going wrong in this nest. Although we human beings have great minds, we can't know everything and have to let nature decide... As a crumb of comfort, we have the first chick in our white stork nest, where last year all of them died. So my fingers are crossed for them, that everything goes well this year. And I hope the best for Tiina and Tiit and also the other male, that they are all fine and come back next year for another chance. Thank you for this great webcam-view!
Storch in Sicht: http://46.237.211.38:1010
asteria

Post by asteria »

Now I realize that three years of successfull or relatively successful breeding in this wonderful nest were a miracle. Especially the season of 2011, despite the cam was off rather often.
ophelia

Post by ophelia »

I really like Macko's idea that Tiina went to the other male's nest somewhere else. It even sounds plausible. The male-Tauno-could have been nest-building for the past 2 weeks, or so, and waiting for his mate who never returned. So he flies around and hears someone calling him, so he goes to her nest. He discovers that she welcomes him like a mate, meaning that no other male has taken this nest with her, so now he has a new mate! Maybe that's why he didn't do a lot of nest-building at Tiina's nest, he was already building his own nest. It makes a lovely story and perhaps could even be true. Does anyone know if this scenario could happen, or has happened? Maybe I'm just wishing and hoping!

Tiina did seem to reject him at the end. I still watch the nest, I'm not ready to say goodbye.
baska

Post by baska »

ophelia wrote:I really like Macko's idea that Tiina went to the other male's nest somewhere else. It even sounds plausible.
Tiina did seem to reject him at the end. I still watch the nest, I'm not ready to say goodbye.
Good morning all together! :wave:
I thought in the very beginning that Tiina met this male in his nest and now went back to it with him.
Whereas, I got also the impression that she rejected him at the end.
I still watch this nest as well. And I tell you something: perhaps I'm crazy, but I still hope that Tiit will come back! :headroll:
I'm reinforced by Ausra's report that storks are still coming back to Lithuania,
and me, I could watch myself by a webcam in Gniew (situated in nothern Poland) that the second stork just came before yesterday..........

Addition: Ausra, I just saw a stork in Naisiai !!!
Image click!
greetings from Baska

We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings are controlling and dominating the nature, before they have learned to control themselves.
Albert Schweitzer
ophelia

Post by ophelia »

I agree. If black storks are still returning then it's way too soon to give up. This nest could be used by a different pair still. It would be so wonderful if Tiit returned and Tiina. But someone should use this nest!

A nest in the Netherlands - Beleef de Lente - already has 5 chicks, they are so far ahead of the black storks in Estonia. Is this always the case?
Ausra153

Post by Ausra153 »

Hello Everyone :hi:
Yes, storks still are comming. Most of them probably are already in the nests and even have few eggs, but some of them still arriving. Yesterday my husband saw not big flock of storks flying in the North direction. This is hope for us to see Tiit, this is hope to see a couple of White Storks at Naisiai. Thank you for good news, Baska. I have not seen stork in the nest this morning, because was on the way to my work in that time, when stork was in the nest. I only found few messages in Naisiai site chat about this. Especially thank you for picture of stork. Maybe it was the stork from another nest, but we hope, that it will return, and maybe with mate. It's time for this alreay.
Wishing to all you to have nice day. :wave:
Summi

Post by Summi »

Good morning :hi:
It is so nice to meet you again in this lovely forum :gathering: and to know that I am not the only one who opens the webcam first thing in the morning with a wish to find a happy couple or at least have a glimpse of Tiina. Seeing her and Tiit has always filled my heart with pure joy and gratitude for the privilige to look into this miraculous world.
Greetings from Summi
Ausra153

Post by Ausra153 »

Good morning Summi :hi:
Nice to meet you. One of Naisiai nest watchers started to observe this Black Storks nest from the beginning, when the cam started to work few years ago. I started only 3 years ago. She have seen all seasons and told me, that in her opinion Tiit was the best dad from all Black Storks males, that were in this nest. It's so pity, that Tiit did not return this year. Lithuanian watchers together with you all here wishing so much, that everything would be well with him. We do hope, that he is alive and safe and we'll see him yet.

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”