Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Liz01

Re: Fund Raising for Transmitters

Post by Liz01 »

mogga

Post by mogga »

I have a general question.
I watched the video at http://www.lsm.lv/raksts/dzive--stils/v ... s.a233758/
I don't understand a single word of the Estonian language but copied the text under the video into an online translator. So I know it's probably about the causal research of eagle dying (mainly lead balls?).

So – this funding/donation is for the main part for buying transmitters to find out the cause of death, right? And the bird species where this is necessary/reasonable are particularly black storks and white-tailed eagles?

Another question I asked myself (a little off topic): when watching the video it became clear to me that I imagined a transmitter smaller so far. Maybe like a pencil sharpener or something like that. But it's much bigger as one can see at about 4:00 min.-4:50 min. ... :unsure:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thank you for thinking so clearly about this, mogga.

The main purpose of the fund-raising effort is to purchase transmitters to be attached to young birds, next season. Initially, it is thought that Black Storks should be studied, because their survival rate in the first year is threatened, and because black storks are an endangered species.
Transmitters - - there are some small, leg-mounted models in use. I haven't seen one but it must be a small thing, like a pencil sharpener, as you suggest. Anything larger would interfere with movement, flight and maybe safety. I cannot imagine our Eagle Club men putting any of these birds at risk by using something which would endanger the bird.

Does that answer your question?
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

mogga wrote:I have a general question.
I watched the video at http://www.lsm.lv/raksts/dzive--stils/v ... s.a233758/
I don't understand a single word of the Estonian language but copied the text under the video into an online translator. So I know it's probably about the causal research of eagle dying (mainly lead balls?).
This is from Latvian site and is not related to our fund rising. Anyway I don´t think that any transmitter can show the course of the death
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
mogga

Post by mogga »

Yes, Jo UK, that answers my question, thank you.
I discovered the osprey cams by chance, then the black stork cam, then this forum – and so on...
Now I slowly begin to be interested in the situation around all this... :laugh:

Oh, I see, juta.
But in general there is a cooperation between Latvia and Estonia concerning some things like cameras, livestreams, protection of birds...?
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Question from the chat:
I have no credit cards and no pay pal. What can I do?
I know that you can transfer directly to the Kotkaklubi. I gave the data to a chatterin.
But how does the name come to Leetchi?

EDIT: Is not necessary to answer.- She wants to go to the bank next week and makes a transfer.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Maybe if she enters a note to say the donation is for transmitters. I don't know how the direct donation works, though.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Jo UK wrote:Maybe if she enters a note to say the donation is for transmitters. I don't know how the direct donation works, though.
Good morning Jo :hi:

she will do it in this way. Another chatterin has done it too.
I also gave her the link with the page for the email contact, so she could know the money has arrived.
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Jo UK wrote:Thank you for thinking so clearly about this, mogga.

The main purpose of the fund-raising effort is to purchase transmitters to be attached to young birds, next season. Initially, it is thought that Black Storks should be stiudied, because their survival rate in the first year is threatened, and because black storks are an endangered species.
Transmitters - - there are some small, leg-mounted models in use. I haven't seen one but it must be a small thing, like a pencil sharpener, as you suggest. Anything larger would interfere with movement, flight and maybe safety. I cannot imagine our Eagle Club men putting any of these birds at risk by using something which would endanger the bird.

Does that answer your question?
My husband would also gladly finance a transmitter for the black storks something. However, it is unsure how such transmitters are installed.

Here is from Latvia a picture from 2016, made by Liznm.

Can someone explain how the transmitter is attached to the stork's body? How long does this operation take?

He worries, thank you
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

UteL. wrote:................
Can someone explain how the transmitter is attached to the stork's body? How long does this operation take?

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=785
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

This is a good addition, thank you! I know these discussions from 15 years of observations by Weißstorch.

Do you have a specific link to answer the question? I can not find it.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ute, the question belongs in this topic. There is discussion about this. If someone has an answer, he will write it.
It is better to ask, where it can be found again...later

Here is topic "Found raising for Transmitter"
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Aaaah, understand ... also helps other possible donors, thank you!
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Excuse me, my husband becomes impatient. He wants to give the rest of the money for a transmitter that gets a black stork. Further donations could then also be used for other birds!?

It can be determined under Updates....

1100 € are sufficient in sum?

Are these transmitter intended for young Storks:

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/frequent ... ansmitters ? (thank you Liznm)

That happens at the nest? Then can the bird return immediately to the nest?

merci
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Ute, it is very pleasing to learn that your husband wants to contribute to a transmitter for a black stork, but please go back and read the first post in this topic.
One transmitter costs approximately 1000 euros.
We hope to have three transmitters ready for next year's breeding season. By mid to late June, the young storks will be ready to receive the items.
There is no guarantee that a young stork will return to its first nest area. It may not return to northern Europe for a few years, when it is ready to mate and breed.
The type of transmitter is yet to be decided, but there is a new model which is leg-mounted, so that will be easy to fit, with minimum disturbance to the young bird.
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

All good :wave:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Dear contributors - I have just sent Thank You notes to all of the contributors. I had one , too. It is worded as though we have finished fund-raising, which is not correct! :banghead:
My note said we had raised 3000 euros, our targe amount.
Maybe I should have waitied until the "Money Pot" closes, and sent Thank you's then. That seems a bit rude, to wait so long.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ute :wave: , ich schreibe jetzt in deutsch. Ich glaube es gibt Missverständisse
Der Sender wird vor Ort montiert. Also unter dem Nestbaum. Nicht im Nest. Das wäre zu stressig für alle Beteiligten. Die Vögel werden danach sofort in das Nest gebracht. Es passiert, wenn sie ausgewachsen sind, aber noch nicht fliegen können.

Es werden 3000€ gesammelt. Die Aktion geht bis Dezember. Sollte bis dahin nicht genug im "Pott" sein, wird verlängert.

Ute, I write now in German. I believe there are misunderstandings
The transmitter will be mounted in the field. It happens under the nest tree. Not in the nest! That would be too stressful for everyone, the are involved. The birds are immediately taken to the nest. It happens, when they have grown, but can not fly yet.

Kotkaklubi collect 3000 €. The action goes until December. Should not be enough in the "Pool", it will be extended.
ame

Post by ame »

i see that the fund raising is going well! excellent! :2thumbsup:

an earlier question about causes of death:
the transmitters cannot tell the reasons directly. if the bird with a transmitter dies the signal will stop moving and within some time it will stop. the delay depends on several factors. if the bird was shot and the transmitter was broken at the same incident then the signal will stop immediately. if the bird dies so that the transmitter is under it and thus in shadow it will stop working rather quickly (within a day or two?). if the transmitter will still receive sunlight (if it is above the dead bird) it will go on signaling for a long time but the position of the signal will not move.

if the signal becomes stationary it is possible that someone will go and look for the transmitter. if the transmitter is found with the dead bird then it is possible to discover the cause of death indirectly.

it is also possible that a transmitter stops working although it is still on an alive and fit bird who will go on living with it normally. it will be impossible to separate this case from the above sudden stop with killing the bird. if the bird is later spotted and identified by rings then one finds out that the bird is alive and only the transmitter has 'died'.
ame

Post by ame »

i managed to find a video about how the transmitter can be fitted on an eagle. the transmitter in a little backpack with long stripes. the stripes are fitted over and around the 'shoulders' and sewn and tied together.
this video is 5 years old now and thus the transmitter backpacks nowadays are probably slightly smaller than the ones on the video.
i should think that the technique with BS will be the same.
in this video Urmas and Joosep equip two eaglets with satellite tracking devices:
[color=#FF8000]On 12 Jul 2012, 10:44[/color] Felis silvestris wrote:Does it fit here? On Facebook LK shared a video of the ringing of the WTE by Urmas and Joosep on 28th June

viewtopic.php?p=151520#p151520

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”