Fund Raising for Transmitters

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Jo UK
Site Admin

Re: Fund Raising for Transmitters

Post by Jo UK »

ame, thank you for the video. I believe it will be good to use it as an Update on Leetchi, with the caveat that it may be out of date by now.
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ame, thanks a lot for this video :2thumbsup:
ame

Post by ame »

oh, don't thank me, thank Felis who found the video first! :D
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Thank you all. My daughter (Dr. Vet.) and me already convinced my husband yesterday. The video is a good addition.
The first transmitter is in the sack.

:loveshower:
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Jo UK wrote:At the moment we are concentrating on Black storks, but Urmas has pointed out that we don't know which nests will be active next year, or which nests will have cameras.
So now is a good time to have a discussion about which species has the transmitters.
Black Storks are endangered, and many are lost during the first year. Knowing where they go and what dangers they face could help to mitigate those dangers in the future.
Jo UK wrote: Anne7 wrote "wish we could follow these kids on their long journey". Well, we could, if one of them had a transmitter! There must be many of us who dream of such a thing. We could do it, too, but we would have to do some fund raising first. A transmitter costs about 1000 euros, and needs to be ordered by late April.
I for one, will happily contribute to such a fund. Who will join me?
If I can get a sense of how much interest there is in doing this, I can make further arrangements about the proper collection of donations. Many may be interested in the project but not able to donate, for now. Please just register your interest here, for now. We can get to the finer details a little later.
If a stork's nest is not occupied in April, could a reserve for future years be formed from the donor pot, for a transmitter?
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ute, es gibt Probleme zu verstehen was du meinst.

Lass uns bitte das Geld sammeln. Die Aktion endet im Dezember.
Dann warten wir geduldig, ob das Nest besetzt wird. Keiner kann in die Zukunft sehen!

Sollte das Nest nicht besetzt werden, kann man darüber reden, wie das Geld verwendet wird. Vorher ist es einfach nur unsinnig. Wir würden über etwas diskutieren, was noch nicht eingetreten ist. Und Geld für 2019 zurücklegen macht gar keinen Sinn.

Wir beobachten ein Nest in freier Natur. Es gibt keine Garantie, dass sie wieder kommen, es gibt keine Garantie, dass die nächste Saison erfolgreich wird. Zu viele Einflüsse, die die Dinge ändern können.

Ist das in Ordnung für dich?

Ute, there are problems to understand, what you mean.

Please let us collect the money. The action ends in December.
Then we wait patiently, whether the nest will be occupied. No one can see into the future!

If the nest is not occupied, we can talk about how the money is used. Before it is just nonsensical. We would discuss something that has not yet happened. And spending money on 2019 makes no sense at all.

We observe a nest in the open. There is no guarantee that they will return, there is no guarantee that the next season will be successful. Too many influences that can change things.

is that OK for you?
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

The use of funds is nevertheless the theme !?

The donation collection was started for a purpose - for the Blackstork! A deviation must be declared in the update!

Past donors can then write in comments and agree !?

Then it's okay... .

We are waiting for Urmas, yes?
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

UteL.

Please, read carefully introduktcion text here:

viewtopic.php?p=549321&f=2#p549321

If no Black Storks nest and breed next year, then shall we use the funds to buy transmitters for white-tailed eagles, or another species?
Urmas would like to know your opinions, so please think seriously about it, and post here.

Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Ute, all those eventualites which you question, have been covered in this discussion. We don't know what will happen next year.
We are raising funds to purchase transmitters. If there are black storks next year, the young ones will receive transmitters. If not black storks, then maybe there will be eagles. Most of us have agreed that Urmas is the best one to decide.
How can we provide an Update on Leetchi, now, when we don't know what next year will bring?
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Jo and Juta, I also trust in Urmas!

It is about the correctness!

Karl, Eedi or Raiko solve the problem :nod:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Ute, can we leave this part of your discussion now?
As there are two other overseers, both reputable, professional people whom I chose, for my own protection, I am confident that nothing incorrect can happen with these funds.
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Jo UK wrote:<font><font>Ute, können wir diesen Teil Ihrer Diskussion jetzt verlassen? </font></font>
<font><font>Da gibt es zwei weitere Aufseher, beide seriösen, professionellen Menschen, die ich wählte, für meinen eigenen Schutz, bin ich zuversichtlich, dass nichts falsch mit diesen Mitteln passieren kann.</font></font>
is okay :wave:
aquiline

Post by aquiline »

Hello :hi:
I do agree in buying transmitters for other birds, if our black stork nest should not be successful. White Tailed Eagles would be very interesting. However other birds will be okay, too. Perhaps we will get an adventurer like Tönn :loveshower:

But in Karl I trust :bow:
aquiline

Post by aquiline »

In "Summary of breeding season" Urmas says:
....i e one GPS device can certainly be bought already. But the collected amount will be used only when the whole sum is there on the scheduled date. Otherwise the collected means will be returned to the donors.
As far as I understand Urmas NO transmitter will be bought when we do not succeed in collecting 3000 Euros????
I suggest to buy as much transmitters as possible and if the remaining money is not enough for a further one we give the money to Loodskalender for cameras or whatever is needed.

I do not want my money back :rant:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

The rule that funds will be returned to donors IF the target amount is not reached applies to other fund raising sites. We chose Leetchi because it does not have such restrictive rules. All funds collected will be available for the purchase of transmitters. Leetchi says that the target amount - in our case 3000 euros - should be thought of as a suggestion, not a firm rule. So what we have, we keep!

Another point - the proposed end date is set at December 2017. If we choose, we can extend that to another date.
Urmas, be happy!
aquiline

Post by aquiline »

Jo UK wrote: All funds collected will be available for the purchase of transmitters. Leetchi says that the target amount - in our case 3000 euros - should be thought of as a suggestion, not a firm rule. So what we have, we keep!
Good news :loveshower: Thank you Jo :hi:
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

aquiline wrote:
I do not want my money back :rant:

I also never!
Jo UK wrote: Another point - the proposed end date is set at December 2017. If we choose, we can extend that to another date.
Urmas, be happy!
When is it necessary to extend it? Wait till then! We can also provide more than 3000, - :D
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Jo, thank you for the update and information about the rules from Leetchi.
It's a good thing, that we can choose the date! good for all who want to pay monthly. :2thumbsup:

I hope it is clear, that I don't want to have back the money. I have already written, that Urmas can use of it, as he considers is right.
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Because of such events the transmitters are important!
Hellem wrote:From Birdmap:

Raivo was electrocuted either in 1st or 2nd of Sept 2017 and found by Can Bilgin in 20th of September 2017
:cry:

More about Raivo:

Still up to 2017 Raivo is the most productive Black Stork we know in Estonia. Autumn migration in 2017 started in the morning 20th of August. He flew quick as usual in direction of familiar fish ponds in Israel. Raivo stopped only for night - till unsuccessful landing in the evening 1st of September... it was wrong place. Raivo landed on electric pole, but got electrocuted and fall dead a side of that pole. Our good colleague in Turkey, Can Bilgin took couple of days and drove to look. He found Raivo jsut in foot of the same pole, nobody toutched Raivos body, it was covered with dust from the road nearby.
It was twelfth autumn migration we followed with help of Microvawe transmitter, installed on Black Stork Raivos back in 2006.
The life of migrating birds, even of most experienced of them depends on random things built by human, different infrastructure objects belong among these. Wildlife needs long time to be adapted with, but not all species can stand that!
People from all countries must be attentive! Good that this black stork could be found.

The transmitters are very necessary! :help:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

This is such awful news, one hardly knows how to respond.
Without Raivo's transmitter we should not know the reason for his absence from our world.
By using these transmitters more evidence of the causes of mortality can be gathered. With such evidence we are able to urge a change in attitude, and practice, concerning the survival of our wildlife.

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”