11:31 feeding Karl

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

12:01 feeding Kati

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

I do not know what the latest findings are. The link is just an example.

Birds can recognize people's faces and know their voices
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 163056.htm

Corvids, pigeons and mockingbirds should be able to. I do not know if other birds do that too.
Freedom!
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

UteL. wrote: June 29th, 2018, 11:57 am Anne, "Urmas" from your book did not "speak" of it!? Then I can exclude this source...

https://www.leetchi.com/c/support-these-wonderful-birds
Hi, Ute!

Although our book 'I'm Karl, a black stork' contains a lot of facts and good information about black storks, it can certainly not be considered a scientific paper. That was not the purpose of the book. Our book is a story.
To know whether birds are able to recognise individual human faces (or voices), would need real scientific research.
Swenja wrote: June 29th, 2018, 12:39 pm I do not know what the latest findings are. The link is just an example.
Birds can recognize people's faces and know their voices
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 163056.htm

Corvids, pigeons and mockingbirds should be able to. I do not know if other birds do that too.
Apparently, Swenja has found a link to such research. I will read it with a lot of attention. Thanks, Swenja. :thumbs:

Edit: This is wonderful! :thumbs:
"New research suggests that some birds may know who their human friends are, as they are able to recognize people's faces and differentiate between human voices."
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Solo

Post by Solo »

Anne7 wrote: June 29th, 2018, 12:11 pm ... Here is a very interesting article ... Personally, I believe that the healthier (well fed) a female bird is, the more nutrients she is able to give to a larger amount of eggs. Which affects the strength and growth of the hatchlings. ...
:hi: Anne, it is interesting opinion :puzzled:
(it will be good all links/sources to question/answers to one bird species put in separately thread and later FAQ)
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Solo wrote: June 28th, 2018, 11:06 am but ... for me it is very interesting question, why there are nests (also WS), where within the 2 first hatched chicks and the third, fourth (or 3 + 4., 5.) are always size difference (also bigger, big) and other nests where there are no, or only very, very little (situation when with enough food delivery isn't problem)
Anne7 wrote: June 29th, 2018, 12:11 pm Here is a very interesting article on the effects of the laying order and asynchronous hatching. The amount of nutrients received by the embryo inside the egg will depend on the order in which the egg was laid.
Personally, I believe that the healthier (well fed) a female bird is, the more nutrients she is able to give to a larger amount of eggs. Which affects the strength and growth of the hatchlings.
https://goldengateaudubon.org/blog-post ... trategies/
Solo wrote: June 29th, 2018, 1:01 pm :hi: Anne, it is interesting opinion :puzzled:
Thanks, Solo.

Not all eggs in the same clutch contain the same ingredients. (other proportions)
Not all embryos (hatchlings) have the same starting potential.
"The female deposits differing amounts of hormones, immunoglobulins, and antioxidants in the yolk, albumen, and shells of the eggs she lays, which then affects the survival of each hatchling."
These are scientifically proven facts.

My personal opinion (blue text) is based on logical and deductive thinking.
But it remains an opinion and is therefore not a proven fact.
That's why I explicitly write: "Personally, I believe..."
I will try to find scientific information confirming (or contradicting) this opinion.

Edit: This info is giving a hint (not the real answer)
Food Supply and Diet: It takes energy to manufacture eggs. Clutch sizes may be larger if more food, or higher quality food is available.
Age and Experience: An older female may have a larger clutch. Older females may be better at foraging, thus in better condition, so that might be why they lay more eggs.
Health: A healthy bird in good condition may lay more eggs than a bird in poor condition.
http://www.sialis.org/eggnumbers.htm
Solo wrote: June 29th, 2018, 1:01 pm (it will be good all links/sources to question to one bird species put in separately thread and later FAQ)
This is really a very good suggestion, Solo!
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Anne7 wrote: June 29th, 2018, 12:55 pm Hi, Ute!

Although our book 'I'm Karl, a black stork' contains a lot of facts and good information about black storks, it can certainly not be considered a scientific paper. That was not the purpose of the book. Our book is a story.

To know whether birds are able to recognise individual human faces (or voices), would need real scientific research.
Apparently, Swenja has found a link to such research. I will read it with a lot of attention. Thanks, Swenja. :thumbs:

Edit: This is wonderful!
"New research suggests that some birds may know who their human friends are, as they are able to recognize people's faces and differentiate between human voices."
White stork caretaker Thomas Ziegler could have written it, he has been keeping diaries since 2001, so these are experiences that serve as a basis for the scientists. I can not possibly read everything again, at least it could have been such a "ringing report". sorry!
https://ansbach.bund-naturschutz.de/the ... torch.html

or:
These young storks will also report Thomas Ziegler after completion of the action of the Ornithological Institute, the Max Planck Institute for Ornithology in Radolfzell, so that the future "migration" of migratory birds can be documented. More than 300 volunteer birds ringers answer questions about migration routes, settlement behavior, territorial integrity, mortality rates and other ornithological conditions. Among other things, it examines how partner choice is related to the train strategy, such as arrival in the breeding area, and the outcome in terms of breeding success.

To Nördlinger Nest: the old stork has received us familiar and probably wanted to experience the whole scene curious live. Two hatched young storks are currently on the eyrie high above the roofs on the market square of Nördlingen. Three eggs in the nest are unfertilized. "Storchenpapa" Thomas Ziegler found everything in order, healthy and well.
Quite remarkably: until a certain age, the chicks fall - almost young storks - in Akinese. They just kill themselves and pretend they do not notice us. The Beringen can be made so without harm the little stork children.

https://www.augsburger-allgemeine.de/co ... 75427.html
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Back to watching, our main actor :D

1-3-2 ?

1-2-3 ?
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

UteL. wrote: June 29th, 2018, 1:28 pm 1-3-2 ?
I also see it 1-3-2 :nod:
Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

15:02

Freedom!
Solo

Post by Solo »

Anne7 wrote: June 29th, 2018, 1:04 pm ... Edit: This info is giving a hint (not the real answer) ...
http://www.sialis.org/eggnumbers.htm ...
thank you Anne for your effort :thumbs:
it is (too) much inputs and more of them are less controlled (for example: role the male? wintering area the females or both? male on nest is not "dad" these chicks or not for all - scientific info, ...)
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Swenja wrote: June 29th, 2018, 3:08 pm 15:02
Now it has sounded like a burp :laugh:

Is it always the same young stork, Swenja?

Karl she was irritated :laugh:

15:25:55
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

15:24 feeding Karl

Freedom!
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

UteL. wrote: June 29th, 2018, 3:22 pm
Is it always the same young stork, Swenja?
Today it has made number 2. Both times. Yesterday it was number 3. It looks as if they do it when someone happens a "mishap". Yesterday it was number 3, when number 1 flapped its wings and it looked a bit unhappy.
Today, first the pinched foot. The second time, number 3 has lost its balance while standing. :puzzled:
When they are little, they do it all over again. The parents do not seem pleased then.

But now, they are bigger. They rarely make this head movement (head up).
Freedom!
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

For white storks which is virtually the only form of audible communication, the clatter. But much more pronounced, they put from the beginning to the head while on his back. This is bad for the black storks, if they have such a thick neck ....
It also reveals the location.

It looks as if they do it when someone happens a "mishap" I will now consider that from this point of view as well :nod:
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Hello all!
It was interesting discussion with good findings. I don´t know if we will open new topic but so far I will copy links to first page into "reserved" post https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 58#p571258
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

juta wrote: June 29th, 2018, 4:40 pm Hello all!
It was interesting discution with good findings. I don´t know if we will open new topic but so far I will copy links to first page into "reserved" post https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 58#p571258
Thanks, Juta!

I was really pleased with Solo's suggestion to start a FAQ topic, because, over the years, there have been many interesting questions and interesting answers. After a while, it becomes difficult to find that information.
— Irene Pepperberg
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Anne7 wrote: June 29th, 2018, 4:46 pm Thanks, Juta!

I was really pleased with Solo's suggestion to start a FAQ topic, because, over the years, there have been many interesting questions and interesting answers. After a while, it becomes difficult to find that information.
I think that there should be someone who oversees the FAQ topics. It would be an extra job to do to keep things up to date. @Solo might be suitable for it.
Freedom!
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

Anne7 wrote: June 29th, 2018, 4:46 pm Thanks, Juta!

Yes, I am agree with this. We have to think what kind of topic it should be. Only for links, or links with discussion...etc
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Swenja wrote: June 29th, 2018, 4:57 pm I think that there should be someone who oversees the FAQ topics. It would be an extra job to do to keep things up to date. @Solo might be suitable for it.
Yes, it would be extra work.

IF it were decided to make a "FAQ topic" on every observed species, probably the work may be done by different people?

Such a topic also would need a good structure, to keep the different subjects clearly separated and all information easy to find back.
— Irene Pepperberg

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”