Black Stork Nest in Karula - 2018

Cameras Watching over Black Storks nest
Anne7

Re: Black Stork Nest in Karula - 2018

Post by Anne7 »

Jo UK wrote: August 17th, 2018, 12:05 am More news in email, but you already know some of it!

KARL has started migration today.
Karula is now on the migration map as he is on the way.
Päike is still close to home so not yet on the map.
Thanks a lot, Jo!
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

To all who have made donations to Kotkaklubi, either direct or via the Leetchi fund-raising page,(https://www.leetchi.com/c/support-these-wonderful-birds) I want to say a huge THANK YOU.
We didn't know what to expect from this round of fund raising, especially as it came so soon after the plea for help with the cost of three transmitters. At the moment, the fund stands at 3,856 euro.
Looduskalender Forum should be very proud of this achievement. It is a generous amount which we can give to Kotkaklubi for their own identified needs.

The Leetchi Money Pot will close on Tuesday September 4th. Leetchi will retain 2.9% administration costs.
It takes a few days to go through the formalities of compliance with their identification process, and as soon as I know that Kotkalubi has received the funds I will post the news.

Hmm - celebration - which leads to thoughts of this forums' tenth birthday, soon. Probably in September, or maybe in October.
How shall we celebrate?
kuhankeittäjä

Post by kuhankeittäjä »

Felis silvestris wrote: August 15th, 2018, 1:17 pm Sadly the population in Estonia is not growing, as Urmas told me recently. Yet we still hope that those youngsters we are able to watch through the camera will survive their first difficult years and one day return.

As for BS going to Finland ... the very first year I watched a BS cam here, Tiina and Tiit's nest further north in Estonia, which had 4 storklets, and the youngest, which we called "Neli" (Estonian for number 4), did make an outing to Finland and was photographed there:
https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 84#p115684
Thanks for this information, although it is sad to know that the Estonian population is decreasing, due to lack of fertile females especially. I, too, hope that these camera star youngsters would manage survival problems and learn to live like Black Storks are used to. From your forums excellent book "I'm Karl - a black stork -" I learned that dangers due to human infrastructure and hunting collect tax from the BS population, in addition to what traditional predators do.

It was interesting to know that one of your youngsters visited Finland before its autumn migration. I understood from Karl's story that prior starting to build a nest he came directly to an area which was common to him. Hence these early visits to neighbouring regions might lead attempts to nest there later on.

But where? In Lake Finland there's much appropriate BS food to consume, natural preserves, areas of sparse population in inland archipelagos and lack of some predators like eagle, marten and lynx during BS nesting period. Further, a couple of fish eater species have increased their population there due to artificial nests arranged for them. I mean the osprey and the ringed seal of lake Saimaa. Why not try to build an artificial nest which makes known requirements of the BS. Maybe some pioneering and rumbling young BS could see it and later return there with its partner.

After this had possible happened, Estonia would not be a borderland of BS any more. :thumbs:

Thanks a lot of opportunity to see your camera images which gave me totally new insight to birds early life. :D

I am looking forward to see the next season. :wave:
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

August 17

Good Morning :wave:

:headroll: What am I reading for great news! Karula, my darling, is also in the Birdmap and Karl just flew away ...

And Päike found the huge fish .... :laugh: Maybe she'll make a quick stopover in the nest like Karula, when she's thinking of going south ... .

Swenja

Post by Swenja »

Good Morning! :wave:

Thanks for the many new information.
I wish the stork family a good trip and a long life for our young storks. Hopefully, Päike will soon be seen in the birdmap without returning to the nest.
I hope that Karl and Kati can return to this nest again next year.
Many thanks to all for the interesting posts and the beautiful photos, and @Urmas and the team for their good work and the live camera! :thumbs:

Hm, I do not know how the forum could celebrate its birthday - but I would like to say that it is a very good forum. Thanks for the forum and for the good work!

Kati was last on 01.08. at the nest.
Maru started migration on 04.08. with 78 days.
Päike was last on 14.08. at the nest.
Karula started migration on 16.08. with 88 days.
Karl started migration on 16.08.
Is that correct? :unsure:
Freedom!
Solo

Post by Solo »

Good morning,
very probably the season is also here over. :bow:
Thank a lot for reporting, shots and vids to all for you who was active here. :D

Special TY to you Anne 7 for your effort to find answers in subject publication :2thumbsup: and correct discussion.
:wave:
asteria

Post by asteria »

:hi: to all

So Karl started his migration and did not check the nest as usually all the storks do. That is strange.
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Swenja wrote: August 17th, 2018, 7:27 am Hopefully, Päike will soon be seen in the birdmap without returning to the nest.
Hi Swenja, why not?
asteria wrote: August 17th, 2018, 9:54 am :hi: to all

So Karl started his migration and did not check the nest as usually all the storks do. That is strange.
Hi Asteria, His ceremony was suddenly interrupted when the Yuongsters actually appeared ...He did not do that last year either, if I remember correctly!
Treia

Post by Treia »

by Solo » August 17th, 2018, 8:34 am
Good morning,
very probably the season is also here over.
Very brobably it's so, but, as long as we don't have some news about Päike (she isn't here in Finland) the season is not quite over. isn't it so? Hopefully also she gets safely to her migratonjourney! But how did Karl leave before Päike? In any case, safe journey to them all!!!

And thanks a lot to you and all others of all Bird Map-news we have already got! :wave:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Treia wrote: August 17th, 2018, 10:10 amBut how did Karl leave before Päike? In any case, safe journey to them all!!! ...
Päike leave the nest before Karl :mrgreen:
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

UteL. wrote: August 17th, 2018, 10:04 am Hi Swenja, why not?
To lose no time. There is something else to do for Päike, which is more important.
Freedom!
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Jo UK wrote: August 17th, 2018, 12:22 am Hmm - celebration - which leads to thoughts of this forums' tenth birthday, soon. Probably in September, or maybe in October.
How shall we celebrate?
Hi Jo :wave:

The forum is for lay people, very interesting as for experts, I was able to learn a lot :thumbs:

One should celebrate the festivals as they fall :D Although I have known this site for some time, I am still a greenhorn and local in Berlin .. But in 9 years, for my 10th anniversary, I come to Estonia, so have fun for you. You are wonderful people!

@Swenja :wave:

But there is still some time, it is also about the local bond, I think.

Or do you expect a cold snap?
Treia

Post by Treia »

by Solo » August 17th, 2018, 10:34 am
Päike leave the nest before Karl
:hi:
Alright! I thought that it is related to the trip departure, rather than just leaving the nest.
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Treia wrote: August 17th, 2018, 11:15 am :hi:
Alright! I thought that it is related to the trip departure, rather than just leaving the nest.
Karl will fly right back, because "Päike alone at home" 8-)
Swenja

Post by Swenja »

UteL. wrote: August 17th, 2018, 10:58 am @Swenja
But there is still some time, it is also about the local bond, I think.
Or do you expect a cold snap?
It is a human desire that animals say "goodbye". I had written nothing of cold weather. :rolleyes:

I think Päike has to look for food, to take care of the plumage and to keep his strength. That's a lot of work for a young stork. Maybe we will see Päike better on the Birdmap sooner than the human wish for "goodbye" in the nest.
Freedom!
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

I meant more, say the local bond, less the Goodbye

nest warmth is a comprehensive term for home country...

13:15:57
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Solo wrote: August 17th, 2018, 8:34 am Good morning,
very probably the season is also here over.
Thank a lot for reporting, shots and vids to all for you who was active here. :D
Special TY to you Anne 7 for your effort to find answers in subject publication :2thumbsup: and correct discussion.
:hi: Solo. Thanks.

Yes, I think you're right, the season ended, also here.
The only one who is not yet on birdmap is Päike.
I think Päike is catching all the huge pike she can get in Karula. :laugh:
I believe that she/he will become a very good hunter.
It is a very fast, strong and determined young stork.

Kati has already left on August 1, she can now be very far away.

I would like to thank the whole Kotkaklubi team,
all the people who do a great job for Looduskalender and the forum,
everyone who already contributed (or will contribute) to the fundraising,
all members who have posted so many nice reports, photos and videos,
all the silent readers ...

It has been a good season! :thumbs:

Thank you all!

I also like to have a little thought for the many fish, frogs, snakes and other creatures that had to die to keep our wonderful black storks alive.
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
Summi

Post by Summi »

Just one thought - I'm happy the fourth egg did not hatch at all. Better at this stage than ... taken into consideration also the food situation being what it was. The season was successful! :loveshower: Urmas, thank you for making the best decision to build a new nest that the storklets accepted immediately. The best BS nest builder! :thumbs:
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Yes, and as befits Urmas, he has given the young stork two of the most important tasks in life:

How do I get away from the nest and how do I best come back?

Hi Summi :D
UteL.

Post by UteL. »

Tomorrow Päike, we want to see you! Here or in the birdmap! Please :nod:

Good Night in the Karula Forest :wave:

All a safe sleeping place or good flight until tomorrow!

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”