Lesser Spotted Eagles - Magnus and Maia Estonia 2019

Birdfriend

Re: Lesser Spotted Eagles - Magnus and Maia Estonia 2019

Post by Birdfriend »

Timea wrote: June 15th, 2019, 8:08 pm Hi Hellem, in 2011 I followed a LSE nest per webcam here in Estonia. In my memory the first 6 days went alright, everybody was happy, but then the 2nd chick was killed after all. It is impossible to predict what will happen, I always hope the female will intervene, but they can not or want not, I don't know.It is so sad and such a "waste"
Just I peeked in here. Yes, Timea it is always very hard to accept that for us humans, but it is the rule by this species, only the first hatched chick normal will survive. It is named "cainism."
That's the reason why I can only watch the nests with one chick.
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
asteria

Post by asteria »

Timea wrote: June 15th, 2019, 8:08 pm Hi Hellem, in 2011 I followed a LSE nest per webcam here in Estonia. In my memory the first 6 days went alright, everybody was happy, but then the 2nd chick was killed after all. It is impossible to predict what will happen, I always hope the female will intervene, but they can not or want not, I don't know.It is so sad and such a "waste"
It was in 2013. In 2011 there were no cams with two chicks! In the nest of Tuuli and Remo only the second chick hatched 10.06. and fledged 10.08
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

Birdfriend wrote: June 15th, 2019, 11:07 pm Just I peeked in here. Yes, Timea it is always very hard to accept that for us humans, but it is the rule by this species, only the first hatched chick normal will survive. It is named "cainism."
That's the reason why I can only watch the nests with one chick.
Me too, Birdfriend. I can watch ONLY one egg s nest. :help:

Some parents are able to raise both chicks... sometimes... very rarely. Unfortunately. There are approx. 1 or 2 cases in 100 cases only when both chicks successfully fledged !

This season is rich on rodents, but thanks to instinct of siblicide imprinted in LSE (and GSE) genes we cant count that any of younger chicks survives.
I was very sad to see that "our" (on looduskalender) spotted eagles laid 2 eggs. And I do not watch these cams :bow:

Some say that a chance for younger chick increases with extra good food situation... but more of that... with a special weather conditions.
With RAINY :dunno: weather period following hatching of both eggs.
In that time female must sit on the chicks, cover them both and keep them dry and safe. If there is a food provided by male, both eaglets get their share but Mom has to cover them again... and this helps the younger eaglet to grow and get stronger without being badly attacked. After several days of such protection by Mom s body the size difference between chicks is eliminated so the younger one can defend itself later. And survive. :dunno:

P.S. There was one interesting case in my country. LSE parents raised 2 chicks successfully... but those babies were Common buzzards :laugh:

Slovakia, 2012, both eaglets on the nest (raised in rainy season)
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

June 16.

07:59
Maia flies off and comes back with a twig.

08:01
Maia left again and comes back with a birch twig.
*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

09:52 - Feeding, I only saw one chick, but it was maybe late in the feeding when I opened the cam.
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

10:33

*Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.* Albert Einstein
Timea

Post by Timea »

asteria wrote: June 15th, 2019, 11:36 pm It was in 2013. In 2011 there were no cams with two chicks! In the nest of Tuuli and Remo only the second chick hatched 10.06. and fledged 10.08
Hi Asteria, thanks for correcting. But the fact remains, I always hope for a miracle but it rarely happens.
Tatyana

Post by Tatyana »

:hi:
10.33 Maia laid so many branches in the nest that the fossa deepened and the chicks are not always visible.

Timea

Post by Timea »

Good day all!

Magnus brought prey
Timea

Post by Timea »

Maia in a cleaning/preening/scratching mood
Other side needs a good cleaning too :-))
asteria

Post by asteria »

Timea wrote: June 16th, 2019, 10:36 am Hi Asteria, thanks for correcting. But the fact remains, I always hope for a miracle but it rarely happens.
A miracle did happen in 2011 for Tormi.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

14:00 - Feeding. The chicks was attacking each other! Now only one of them is visible, and is getting food.

14:14 - The chick seems satisfied, and has a full crop, Maia is swollowing the rest of the food. I didn`t see the youngest get anything, only a pick from the oldest.
Timea

Post by Timea »

Magnus brings a prey -dark and furry- and places it gently upon the chicks
Maia takes over
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

16:24 - Maia was standing up and calling when I opened the cam. I didn`t see why, but maybe a strange bird was around :puzzled:

16: 26 - Feeding, probably from the prey Magnus brought in Timea`s post? Only one chick is up, I can`t see the other moving.

16:40 - the youngest (?) is moving, and I think he`s calling. The other is full, and finished eating.
leonia

Post by leonia »

As female of eagles are stronger than males, a second chick may cope with the first one's aggression when the first one is male and the second female and both have hatched shortly after another.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

19:28 - Delivery from Magnus, but he hid it well :rolleyes: Both chicks was up, now they are lying down again.
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

20:56
Maia feeds the small chick. The older chick awakes and is hungry too.

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I am travelling at the moment and can't be here as much as I would like to. Therefore:

A word of caution to everyone since we have two chicks in this nest this year!

Lesser Spotted Eagles generally raise only one chick every year, even if a second egg is laid and a chick hatches from the egg. A collection of articles and papers about cainism/siblicide you find in the Aquila Pomarina Database:
http://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/view ... f=53&t=590

In Tiiu and Tõnn's nest we could already see how cruel nature can be and how long the little ones may have to suffer. Please - in this forum we have agreed to witness what goes on, but please don't direct link pictures and videos, but post them with a warning hint as links to your photo/video host.

Of course we all hope for the little "Abel" that nature makes an exception, but it is very unlikely.

If you want to find out more about "cainism", check out the database. A very good book on this topic is:
Douglas Mock: More than kin and less than kind : the evolution of family conflict
Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2006
ISBN-10: 0674022483
ISBN-13: 978-0674022485
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
IceAge

Post by IceAge »

June 17.

Godd morning :hi: .

08:46
Timea

Post by Timea »

Magnus brings a mouse-like rodent

Return to “Lesser Spotted Eagle Webcam Forum”