Port Lincoln Osprey nest cam, Australia

Polly

Re: Port Lincoln Osprey nest cam, Australia

Post by Polly »

And when I see that Taps keeps getting up despite the hacking, then it's reality and not a lie. This little Osprey has a will to live !!!! Until he runs out of strength.
"Throw your heart across the river and swim after it."
Indian proverb
Solo

Post by Solo »

October 12
Hello evereyone :hi:

video 2020-10-11 https://youtu.be/md_u7TBdKqU

https://www.facebook.com/portlincolnosprey/ :

2020.10.12 - 22 & 21 days old - Sadly we no longer have Taps with us. He was 18 days old today. 7 fish were delivered yesterday but nature can be cruel to watch at times. Solly & Dew are thriving so we have plenty to be thankful for.
video https://www.facebook.com/portlincolnosp ... 029286646/

the newest contribution:

I am really very sorry for all little chicks they died, especially this way :cry: :bow:
I also appreciate the use of the right terms (no kids - chicks, etc.)
seira

Post by seira »

Solo wrote: October 12th, 2020, 12:43 pm October 12
I am really very sorry for all little chicks they died, especially this way :cry: :bow:
me too... :cry:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Solly & Dew are thriving so we have plenty to be thankful for.
Without question ... . :innocent:

Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

Photos from yesterday, October 13th

I don't know if I'm allowed to share my observations here with impunity ... Well, the female shows protective instincts even towards the dead chick. She goes around her older chicks but does not lie down until all three chicks are under her. Solly and Dew are in one unit with Taps's dead body.
That is an observation from yesterday - today everything can be different again, but I haven't found the time to look through everything.

Why I took these screenshots yesterday - I love the Ospreys' feet and look at those claws. :2thumbsup:
The feathers develop ... nice to see these two. :innocent:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

November 3rd

They poop like gods and rivalries are easily present but ultimately hardly any danger. Thanks for those two Ospreys and Taps ... you remain a brave Osprey. :innocent:
Indian proverb
Rita

Post by Rita »

The two chicks in the nest now are called Solly and Dew. The smallest chick, named Taps, is dead. It did not get a chance to become an osprey. Sad, but apparently these Australian ospreys are much more aggressive - at least in this nest siblicide is common.
Polly

Post by Polly »

Polly wrote: October 11th, 2020, 6:32 pm October 11th

I watch this nest with discomfort. Two days ago I was hoping for a chance for Taps. This little Osprey kid is so defiant ... Taps keeps getting up. This little bundle of energy doesn't want to die. Taps is fighting.

Today ... after yesterday I was still confident ... he has no chance. It hurts to see I took screenshots but I won't post them. This slow death in spite of a valiant struggle is almost unbearable.

The situation reminds me a bit of Hickory and Mossy. Mossy often looked so hopeless ... but he made it. Taps is just a shadow of its sibling and the difference is getting bigger every day.

If you read you can see that kainismus is not an isolated case in this nest. Nearly every year. Why? I have never seen or read it like this in any nest. Even if there was a lack of food.
Rita, I already wrote that here.

Even the names of you mentioned in bold are apparently superfluous. We have been admonished several times by you that names and designations child are wrong.

After them (and others) it's chicks. Point.
Indian proverb
Rita

Post by Rita »

Polly, are you ok?

I put any name in bold and/or in color, it's just nice for the eye.

I did not give them names. They have been given these names. Why should I not document that? What the heck is your problem?
Quote from Polly: 'Rita, I already wrote that here.'
What are you referring to? You are quoting yourself in your previous posting.
Polly

Post by Polly »

I quote because you repeat. Nobody posts news and when I do you post like it's new. Please give yourself to document the jolt currently instead of repeating or improving it. The names of the chicks can be read in the post beforehand. And I remember that discussion where you said chicks shouldn't be named. (Irma & Ivo). And now are you putting it in bold emphasis? This is my problem with you. It's only minor personal but I don't need a ventriloquist.

Thanks for asking. I'm fine.
Indian proverb
Rita

Post by Rita »

5th November, 2020 - Port Lincoln Ospreys:

News from moderator PLO in livecam chat: Tomorrow is bling day, i.e. Solly and Dew will get their bands.

21:10 hrs.: Male on the perch to the right

Both chicks have eaten well today. :nod:

Oh, and they are taking wagers on how much fatter Solly is. :whistling:
Polly

Post by Polly »

Hey Rita, thanks for the info. :2thumbsup:

A few days ago I followed the ring discussion, but now there is a date. Very very nice!

I'm missing Tap's body. At some point I must have missed what happened. My last stand - it was pushed to the edge by the female Osprey. Do you know more? :puzzled:

It's a shame, sometimes it's hard to get nice pictures. I just tried this morning but when the camera zooms it is often out of focus.

Let's look forward to tomorrow. And that these two beautiful and healthy Ospreys are.

Thank you Rita. :innocent:
Indian proverb
Polly

Post by Polly »

21:10 hrs.: Male on the perch to the right
This?
Unfortunately, the cameraman doesn't wait for the camera to adjust. But for now it's nice subtleties.
Absolutely! :nod:

Indian proverb
Rita

Post by Rita »

PLO nest, 05.11.2020, Australian time around 3ish a.m. on 06.11.2020:

Read in chat that cam will be off for about 24 hrs. around banding, someone said starting
at about 8ish on 6th November, Australian time.
seira

Post by seira »

November 6

https://www.facebook.com/portlincolnosp ... 8401805155
2020.11.06 - Clearly Mum is not concerned about our boat being next to the barge - she is just wondering where Solly & Dad have gone. Solly, a female, weighs 1,680 grams and has a bright orange band and a tracker on her. Within 5 minutes of being put back in the nest Mum was feeding her. Dew, a male, weighs 1,230 grams and has a burgundy band. Once we get approval we will post some photos. But all is good on the nest at the moment.
Polly

Post by Polly »

This is very good news.
The translation reads where Solly and Dad went ... more likely a mistake? Solly and Dew ... the woman a bit well-proportioned and Dew the smarter brother. :whistling:
Very nice, thank you seira! :2thumbsup:

Interesting that Solly the female was equipped with the tracker. Not Dew. I hope it explains how it was rated.
Will it irritate males to mate? Hm.
Oh, and they are taking wagers on how much fatter Solly is. 
0.450kg ... I like to measure (guess) weights with a kilo bag of sugar. I find a packet of sugar quite heavy. So Solly weighs almost half a bag of sugar more than her brother. That’s neat. :whistling: But the females are stronger anyway.
Indian proverb
seira

Post by seira »

November 7

https://www.facebook.com/portlincolnosp ... 5391698456
2020.11.07 - 48 & 47 days old - Here is the 'bling'. There is a slight hiccup with Youtube going back live. There is nothing wrong with Solly & Dew but I need the tech to sort it out which he will do as soon as he gets home. Dew has the burgundy band and Solly has the orange band.

Port Lincoln Osprey :
We are heavily regulated on what we are permitted to do. We were only permitted to attach a tracker to two birds but must be at different nests and if possible a male and a female. Solly was a strong healthy female and on the Thistle Island nest there was only one chick, a male, Bluey, so he is now sporting a tracker.

https://www.facebook.com/portlincolnosp ... 5875029741
2020.11.07 - 48 & 47 days old - Solly & Dew - will be very easy to spot Solly as she flies around the Eyre Peninsula.

https://www.facebook.com/portlincolnosp ... 7471695248
2020.11.07 - 48 & 47 days old - It's a little windy here today but it's good to see Solly & Dew getting a good feed.
Rita

Post by Rita »

November, 7th - PLO:

Dew is getting a good feed:

seira

Post by seira »

November 9

https://www.facebook.com/portlincolnosp ... 3028092359
Endangered ospreys tagged with satellite trackers in Australia-first research into declining population

https://www.facebook.com/portlincolnosp ... 0904917238
2020.11.07 - Dad is wondering what is in Solly's backpack
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

15.November

:hi:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature

Return to “Osprey”