Osprey Nests in North America

Rita

Re: Osprey Nests in North America

Post by Rita »

Dear Chimega,

Thank you so much for answering. So we are of the same opinion.
I also fear that she will not survive without intervention.

Do you think it would help if I post the suggestion to trap her on the Audubon chat?

I want to be very careful with what I write, some did not appreciate my thoughts.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Rita wrote: July 18th, 2019, 3:23 pm Dear Chimega,

Thank you so much for answering. So we are of the same opinion.
I also fear that she will not survive without intervention.

Do you think it would help if I post the suggestion to trap her on the Audubon chat?

I want to be very careful with what I write, some did not appreciate my thoughts.
Nooooo! Don't post anything like that or they will delete it. And they will tell you that you are wrong. I know how they operate! I never chat there. I only look at what is being said and think to myself, how could someone lie to everyone like they do and not feel guilt. Honesty is the best policy. Always was and always will be!
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Rita

Post by Rita »

I won't post anything then. I feared that it is as you said.

So Rachel's only chance is that Dr. B. and Steve Kress act.

:cry:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Rita wrote: July 18th, 2019, 3:45 pm I won't post anything then. I feared that it is as you said.

So Rachel's only chance is that Dr. B. and Steve Kress act.

:cry:
Dr B will probably be gone from the area, soon, but he could come back. Steve Kress and Eric were the ones who rescued Bailey, Rachel's daughter 2 years ago who was attacked so badly by the Great Horned Owl. I think it might be up to Audubon to make the decision, though.

You should join the Hog Island group on Facebook. My good friend, Mary Anne Miller is a moderator in there. She asked me to ask you. :thumbs:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1274877219274993/
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Belwood Lake

Sera is still feeding fish to both chicks.

After eating lets make us wings exercising! :D

The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hog Island, Maine, Bremen - July 19th, 2019

Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hog Island, Bremen Maine, 07-20-2019

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Chimega thanks for sharing the videos, it's sadly to see Rachel so. I guess her leg is broken, she must have pain for sure.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Even if her leg is not broken but she has a ligament rupture, it is also a big problem and she needs long rehabilitation. White stork Marushka still can't normally walk after almost 4 months.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hog Island, Bremen Maine, 07-20-2019

Video is only in slow motion.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Birdfriend wrote: July 20th, 2019, 6:37 pm Chimega thanks for sharing the videos, it's sadly to see Rachel so. I guess her leg is broken, she must have pain for sure.
Oh I am sure she's been in pain, Birdfriend. When this first happened, she just sat hunched over up on her perch, showed no interest in eating, feeding her chicks or any of the fish Steve brought into the nest. Her back was arched and she hung her head. I was so scared for her safety.

She basically stayed up there for 3 days if I am not mistaken. I was so scared that Great Horned Owl would show up and she would be in no condition to fight. But if she did fight, surely that Owl would take her out, too.

Slowly but surely she seems to have regained her strength and her mental capabilities to be interested in fishing and caring for her chicks, again. I am so glad but now I know for sure they won't intervene or take her to rehab because she was able to catch that one fish, today. :unsure: :cry:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

asteria wrote: July 20th, 2019, 10:18 pm Even if her leg is not broken but she has a ligament rupture, it is also a big problem and she needs long rehabilitation. White stork Marushka still can't normally walk after almost 4 months.
Hi asteria,

Yes there is definitely something wrong in that leg if not in more than one part of it. It hangs at odd angles and turns to the side where no bird's leg ever turns. She needs rehab, no matter what, but I am pretty sure they will do nothing unless something else happens to her. :cry:
asteria

Post by asteria »

Chimega :hi:

If you watched Makov cameras, you probably saw that Marushka is constantly using her leg, doing nestwork, feeding the storklets and her leg recovers very, very slowly. For Rachel it is much harder, because she lives in nature and doesn't have a feeder nearby. Also, while the chicks are in the nest, they can't separate her from the family and that is the problem. :unsure: If they decide to catch her, it will be an additional shock for a wild bird. Maybe when the chicks fly away it will be possible to do something. :sad:
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Chimega wrote: July 21st, 2019, 6:25 am Oh I am sure she's been in pain, Birdfriend. When this first happened, she just sat hunched over up on her perch, showed no interest in eating, feeding her chicks or any of the fish Steve brought into the nest. Her back was arched and she hung her head. I was so scared for her safety.

She basically stayed up there for 3 days if I am not mistaken. I was so scared that Great Horned Owl would show up and she would be in no condition to fight. But if she did fight, surely that Owl would take her out, too.

Slowly but surely she seems to have regained her strength and her mental capabilities to be interested in fishing and caring for her chicks, again. I am so glad but now I know for sure they won't intervene or take her to rehab because she was able to catch that one fish, today. :unsure: :cry:
Chimega thank you for your reporting about Rachels condition. I observe the Berry College Eagles too. Do you know that nest? The female has almost the same problem with her one leg since few years. She came with this injury to the nest and has that problem til now, but she is able to hunt and raising chicks. This season was very sad, both lils died in the nest.
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hi Birdfriend,

I don't know the nest at Berry College as I don't watch Eagles but I have been hearing about the female Eagle and her disabilities and abilities to care for her chicks, etc. I am sorry that the babies died, though. That's very sad. :cry:
Chimega

Post by Chimega »

Hog Island, Bremen Maine, 07-21-2019

Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Chimega, that's really great to see, she is a strong female osprey. I know ospreys in captivity are difficult to handle, most of them don't survive in humans hands...Let's hope for a good outcome for Rachel. :2thumbsup:
Maybe she tries anytime to hold the fish with her healthy right leg/claw. Birds (animals) are always able to learn and to adjust by a new situation.
Thank you for your videos! :wave:
Rita

Post by Rita »

Birdfriend: Who talks about captivity? How many ospreys in captivity do you know? There is one, Bailey, who is absolutely fine in human shelter. And I guess any raptor is difficult to handle.

Rachel will not have much time to 'learn' to live with a broken leg (if that is all, I guess there is more amiss with the leg) - in less than 4 weeks she will start migration.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

When they would to vet her leg, they must catch her normally and she must in rehabilitation. And for me it is a captivity for a wild bird, for you not?
I know when ospreys migrate...
Her leg would also not heal within three or four weeks in vet.

To ospreys in captivity: I would it not write, when I don't know about.
asteria

Post by asteria »

Her leg wouldn't heal even within three or four months, it takes more time.

Return to “Osprey”