Moderator: Moderators

Mamicja

Re: Links to other White-Tailed Eagle (WTE) Cams

Post by Mamicja »

:hi:
WTE Denmark
July 5th
So seems both eaglets fledged.
20:18 Parent brought an eel, but eaglet didn't ate it. Did eaglet wait for sibling?

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

21:05
A parent eating on the nest and an eaglet whining somewhere near - for what this whining?

21:12
The eaglet flew down from the chicks' branch still whining and tried to get the prey from the parent - he/she found something but the parent continues with its prey. The parent even gives some morsels of food from beak to beak to the offspring! Whining goes on ... and stops when the parent takes off. The eaglet flies onto the parents' branch.
- I have a feeling that the eaglet that sits on the parents' branch is usually the girl eaglet - have you noticed the same or something else, Mamicja?
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

It seems that eaglet wasn't hungry, he was only jealous that parent was eating.
Parent flew away at 21:15
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Mamicja wrote:It seems that eaglet wasn't hungry, he was only jealous that parent was eating. ...
They have become real troublemakers for the parents, they treat parents as intruders nowadays!
:shock:
In spite of the food deliveries - what ungreatful creatures (as all children are in some stage) ... :whistling:
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

WTE Denmark
July 6th
In the morning the nest was empty, but when I opened cam at 15:45 one eaglet (she?) was eating the fish while the second one was whimpered desperately. Finaly he took a backbone.

Arriving parent had no chance to stay at the nest.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

17:46
The girl eaglet flew onto the nest - the boy was and is lying on the nest floor - someone on FB meant that he has something wrong with his left wing ... I hope not ...

17:53
The girl eaglet flew out.

18:12
Both eaglets have been lying on the nest for a good time

--- Later: the girl eaglet jumped down from the chicks' branch. I am not sure, but it looks a little unsure with the boy eaglet's left wing ... He doesn't move ...

21:13
The girl eaglet flew onto the parents' branch, the boy stays lying on the nest floor

21:20
The boy eaglet flew off - it looked like to the parents' branch, but as after a while the girl eaglet seemed to go there, too, I don't know who went where. Both fly, that is for sure - no-one has wing damage!
:thumbs:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Monday the 7th July

I think it is the boy eaglet lying on the nest floor (again!) and the tail of the girl sibling is visible from the parents' branch. The boy follows something flying above with his eyes - only the head is moving, otherwise he is loyal to his passive habits ...
:mrgreen:

Flight video (from Friday, the fledging date) of the first returning eaglet coming in and chasing Father away:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_19tzOgh ... kbuf0PY9k6
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

WTE Denmark
Today's eaglets visits
13:50 One eaglet was eating leftovers
15:50 Both eaglets called for food
The girl took and protected the prey
Unsuccessful attempt of theft
17:30 Both eaglets in the nest again
Now (21:12) the nest is empty
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

WTE Denmark
July 8th
Today both eaglets visited the nest many times
09:20 One eaglet alone
13:10 Both eaglets, prey was brought (grey bird?)
13:20 As always girl ate first, boy waited for his turn
18:12 Both eaglets, later one of them flew away
21:00 Storm with lightning. Eaglet looked frightened and stayed at the same place for almost one hour
21:57 Rain and hail
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

WTE Denmark
July 9th
Till 19:21 the nest was empty. Then one of the eaglets flew in and now is eating leftovers.

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Mamicja wrote::hi:
... Then one of the eaglets flew in and now is eating leftovers...
I think it was the girl eaglet, as she afterwards got onto the parents' branch as she usually does
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

WTE Denmark
July 10th
Today all day long eaglets were in the nest, one of them or both.
I didn't notice any prey delivery.

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

WTE Denmark
July 11th
Today I noticed eaglets (one of them) in the morning and in the evening.
In the evening eaglet flew in at 20:24 (nice landing on the branch).
He/she was looking for leftovers, visited parent's branch and finaly decided to stay in the nest for night.

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

WTE Denmark
July 12th
No eaglets today, only a woodpecker is pecking on the cam stand.
EDIT
21:28 Mom flew in with a fish. As no one eaglet arrived she ate a fish and flew away at 21:32.

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

On the FB there is a comment of someone who has seen all the four eagles on the nest today. I haven't seen any of them, but have only had a look only now and then.
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

WTE Denmark
July 13th
Numerous arrivals and departures. Even when eaglets are not visible one can hear their shrill begging squeals.

They don't stay in the nest at the same time, when one of them flies in, the second leaves.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

:wave: Mamicja!

I wonder in which age the eaglets start to hunt themselves ... I have never seen a whole season with eaglets ...
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Owlie wrote::wave: Mamicja!

I wonder in which age the eaglets start to hunt themselves ... I have never seen a whole season with eaglets ...
Now they are on the stage to improve flight abilities.
Next two-three months parents will learn them to hunt. They learn by watching parents. Parents will still take care of them, until they reach self-reliance (in autumn). Before the next breeding season juvies are chased away from parent's territory.
As WTE are similiar to American Bald Eagles you can see FB, where is the story of Decorah eaglets after they fledged
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raptor-R ... 6266324668
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Mamicja wrote: ....
Next two-three months parents will learn them to hunt. They learn by watching parents. Parents will still take care of them, until they reach self-reliance (in autumn). Before the next breeding season juvies are chased away from parent's territory.
Thanks Mamicja!
The eaglets development to independent eagles cannot be easy, as they already now treat their parents as intruders and threat! It would be nice to be "a fly on the ceiling" and witness all that learning - unfortunately the nest cams don't help us further in that purpose. But the cams give us a lot even without that development!
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Monday 14th July

On FB they inform that the active following of the nest will become passive. All notices are still welcome. It is melancholic to separate from these bautiful birds - but obviously their learning will continue more and more outside the nest now.

Thanks Mamicja for all your fine pictures and comments!
Hope we meet on this thread next season again!

Return to “White Tailed Eagles (WTE)”