Post by Mamicja »

:wave:
Danish WTE nest

April 9th

Change

It seems there is a hole in one egg.

Michi

Post by Michi »

This afternoon, 16:16, shortly before they change places for breeding.

16:21
The female got up, first jumped to the rim at the left and then a little back. It was clearly seen, that she couldn’t stand on her left foot, not even for a short time. She tried it several times, but whenever she did, she quickly pulled up the leg. :unsure: In the picture below it can be seen.
I’m so sorry for the eaglelady, that the injury is getting more worse. When the eaglets hatch – and this is coming soon – her demands increases, she has to use both feet, I think. This must be very painful. :cry: I wished one could help her.

Mamicja wrote:It seems there is a hole in one egg.
:hi: Mamicja,
yes, in your picture it is good to see! :thumbs:
The breeding time for the first chick must be over now. Tomorrow 38 days are gone since the first egg was laid. :D
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

:hi: Michi,
I was watching this scene also. It was very sad. She can hardly walk around the nest. The male is doing his best, but hunting and feeding the female and eaglets is a tough errand.
Michi

Post by Michi »

In the evening - at about 20:20 - the eaglecouple had a serious disagreement, whom it is allowed to incubate the eggs.
First the male pushed the female successful away from the nest and sat down on the eggs. The female went to the rim and tried to fly away. But something stopped her, as she already had her wings open. It was only a short moment and I think, there was something with her left foot. She set it up and down and it looked like as if she had not enough energy, to use the foot in the normal way for taking off. :unsure:
So then she stayed at the nest.

In the next half an hour the female tried to push the male away from the eggs. It wasn’t that easy, the male didn’t want to. They really had a struggle about the incubation. I haven’t count it, but the female circled many, many times around the male – what surely must be very painful to her injured foot. The male was not amused; sometimes he opened his beak and was apparently angry with his mate.
After a while it looked as if the female was successful, she nearly sat on the eggs. But the male did not give up; he tried again to get the eggs under his belly. It’s seen in the third and fourth of the pictures, the male is on the right.
Unfortunately this sequence was the last, which I have seen from the struggle. I was away only for two minutes and as I came back, there was only one eagle in the nest, sitting on the eggs. And I don’t know for sure which one it was/is.
But I think, it's the female. My thoughts are, that she probably with her injured foot couldn’t sit respectively sleep on branches. I think it’s much easier and a relief to sit in the nest. Maybe this could be the reason that she insisted so vehemently on taking over the incubation.

I imploringly hope that we wouldn’t experience a drama in this nest. All my wishes are with this poor eaglelady. :unsure:

I hope, my English is sufficient, to be understood. :blush:

20:23 The male on the right side, sitting on the eggs. He is angry with his mate.

20:24 The female - now on the right side - tries to push her mate away.
Michi

Post by Michi »

20:29 The female is above, the male below.

22:07 The last picture of tonight.

Mamicja, yes, it is so sad. And hardly to watch. :unsure:
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

When the female tried to fly off I thought she had a rope banded around her left leg.
As the transmission is interrupted every few minutes I haven't seen also which one left the nest. It seems the female incubating now.
I think it will be helpful to leave some food for eagles near the nest. Maybe Pandion members can do it?
Michi

Post by Michi »

Mamicja wrote:When the female tried to fly off I thought she had a rope banded around her left leg.
As the transmission is interrupted every few minutes I haven't seen also which one left the nest. It seems the female incubating now.
I think it will be helpful to leave some food for eagles near the nest. Maybe Pandion members can do it?
First I also thought, that the left foot of the female is holding on by something. But if it was a rope, one must have seen it after this incident, and there wasn't anything to see. It is also possible, that the females foot for a moment got stucked between the branches on the nestrim.

I can't imagine, that there is a possibility to bring food near the eagles nest. Humans may not come close to the nest. And also because the eagles eat mainly fish, I see no way to set up a feeding place. It is bitter for the whole family. The male will have to do hard work.

Since an hour I tried to look to the webcam, but there is no stream. :bash: :puzzled:
I wonder whether already a chick is hatched. :rolleyes:
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

:wave:
April 10th
For me the livestream doesn't work today also.
I found this information in Pandion forum (translation by Google):
"Obviously, it is worrying that his beloved still seems to struggle with an injury to his left leg. A veterinarian has written to us that this type of symptoms sometimes occurs in birds during egg laying, and he believes, there is a chance that hunørnens??? problems disappear by itself fortunately. We cannot do anything but keep an eye on the nest, eagles and eggs - and so far it seems that the hatching is progressing just as last year.
I do not remember that the female was lame last year, but both eagles crumbs toes perfectly when they go around the vicinity of the eggs. It may look like they are lagging or is hurt, but they do it is likely to take care of the eggs."
Michi

Post by Michi »

A chick is hatched!!! :bounce: :chick: :loveshower:

16:39

Michi

Post by Michi »

I was so happy, as the stream suddenly was back. It didn’t take long, that Mrs. E was so kind, standing up a little and showed her tiny eaglet. :D :loveshower:
Many congratulations to you, eaglemom! For you and your little offspring all the best. :chick:

16:39

Michi

Post by Michi »

Mamicja wrote: I found this information in Pandion forum (translation by Google):
"Obviously, it is worrying that his beloved still seems to struggle with an injury to his left leg. A veterinarian has written to us that this type of symptoms sometimes occurs in birds during egg laying, and he believes, there is a chance that hunørnens??? problems disappear by itself fortunately. ......"
:hi: Mamicja,
thanks a lot for this information! Even if I do not understand why such violations apparently arise from the laying of eggs, the statement of the vet gives a little hope to me, that healing is possible.

Do you have a link to the Pandion forum? I had searched a forum about this nest, but couldn’t find one. It’s a pity, that the Pandion-Website hasn’t an English Version. :blush:
Michi

Post by Michi »

18:14 Feeding! :D

The male brought a tiny prey, a small callow bird. As I have seen, Mrs. E ate a little bit, then she took off and the male feds the little one. It was so nice, that one can hear it chirping. :D

18:18 Mrs. E took off.

Feeding by dad.

I had problems with the connection to Looduskalender. Always "General error" ... :puzzled:
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Feeding the first chick.

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

The male brought some prey for eaglet and female. Today she managed to fly away, and the male fed an eaglet. :D

EDIT There you can find a link to Pandion forum (below the cam, in Danish) http://pandion.dof.dk/comment/611#comment-611
Probably there is also FB page, but I cannot find it, as I am not a member.
macko50

Post by macko50 »

Change and the first chick.

"One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals." - Mahatma Gandhi
George
http://madarlesok.lapunk.hu/
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Mom was back and male flew away
BTW Last year I didn't notice any problems with her leg

Michi

Post by Michi »

Mamicja wrote: EDIT There you can find a link to Pandion forum (below the cam, in Danish) http://pandion.dof.dk/comment/611#comment-611
Probably there is also FB page, but I cannot find it, as I am not a member.
Thank you, Mamicja :wave:
Danish is difficult to read and with Google more difficult to translate. :blush:
Michi

Post by Michi »

So nice to see ... :D

18:23

ame

Post by ame »

Mamicja wrote:"... there is a chance that hunørnens??? problems disappear by itself fortunately. We cannot do anything but keep an eye on the nest, eagles and eggs - and so far it seems that the hatching is progressing just as last year...."
hunørnens = the female eagle.
he says that probably the promlöem disappears by itself.

congratulations Mama and Papa Eagle! :loveshower:
Black swan

Post by Black swan »

Maybe there is hoping because of the injury.
I saw something similar at a Bald Eagle Mom (Berry-Nest)
She also had a leg injury.
During incubate the eggs it looked terrible when she moved.
Then, after hatch, it was always better.
Today, her injury is barely noticeable.

Congratulations and all the best for this family :bounce:

Return to “White Tailed Eagles (WTE)”