Mamicja

Re: Links to other White-Tailed Eagle (WTE) Cams

Post by Mamicja »

:hi:
Closer and closer to fledge.

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

19:08
A parent delivered a prey, something light, cannot see properly what it is - not fish anyway, maybe a bird. It lies in the Mother's corner and the eaglets block the view. One of them starts ripping of it ...

about 19:35
The boy eaglet drew the big prey into the center of the nest and left it so that the girl eaglet could take over it, he disappeared in the down right corner
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

19:08 Parent delivered a prey - something big and white.
Male eaglet took care of it.

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

I have no idea what is that

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Mamicja wrote:I have no idea what is that ...
Could it have been a seal pup? I don't know how big they are this time of the year - and what colour they could be ...
:puzzled:
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

@ Owlie
I had not thought about it, it's very likely. :slap:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Saturday the 21st June
09:55
They have again that white food thing on the nest - is it a new one or that from yesterday - it is a new one, it has wings. And there is a head beside it - it could be some big sea bird, a sea gull or ...? ... Anyway this one today is not a seal pup.
:slap:

One eaglet was eating the new prey when I opened the cam view, but then both only lie on the nest apparently stuffed. The white food from yesterday is not eaten wholly yet and the one of today has also a lot left.

This morning rests of the prey from yesterday lied itself separate from that bird head - it looked, too, like to be a head, with two big black round eyes on it. So I am afraid it was a seal pup and eaglets don't eat the head of it ...

So now they have two uneaten heads on the nest.
:shock:

15:57
The seagull seams to be upeaten now, the uneaten heads have been moved a bit. The girl eaglet took some dark grey wings with bones to rip of - maybe the seagull's wings, not much to eat anyhow.

A long time no stream to the camera ... (17:45 DT)

I studied that Harbour Seals give birth around midsummer :

Phoca vitulina
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbor_seal:
The timing of the pupping season varies with location, occurring in February for populations in lower latitudes, and as late as July in the subarctic zone

Swedish info from http://www.marinbiolog.se/Knubbsal.htm (translation GT after):

"Efter ca 11 månaders dräktighet föder honan en enda unge. Kuten väger vid födseln cirka 9 kilogram och är omkring 85 centimeter lång. Den dias knappt fem veckor och måste sen klara sig självständigt.
Livscykel
Parningen sker under de två sista veckorna i juli, fosterutvecklingen är fördröjd och kuten föds normalt i början av juni. Den föds oftast på en sandstrand eller klipphäll. Direkt när kuten föds, fäller den sin vita fosterpäls och får samma mörka färg som sin mamma. Detta gör att kuten kan följa mamman ned i vattnet direkt efter födseln.
"

Google Translator:
" After about 11 months of gestation female gives birth to a single offspring. Belted weigh at birth about 9 kilograms and is about 85 cm long. Breastfed nearly five weeks, and must then survive independently.
Lifecycle
Mating occurs during the last two weeks of July, fetal development is delayed and the pup is born normally at the beginning of June. They are usually born on a sandy beach or rock. Immediately after the pup is born, then lower it its white fetal coat and get the same dark color as her mother. This allows the pup to follow her mother into the water immediately after birth. "
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

20:01 DT
Both Danish cams are still offline
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

20:30
The cam is back and the both eaglets stay in the down right corner hiding from us. Some glimpses of beaks and wings are visible for short moments. Only the head of the prey of yesterday is left on the nest - and some dry wings of seagulls and/or whatever birds ...

20:50
Have they got a new seal pup, No, No No!?
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Hope the girl eaglet was eating rests of that of yesterday ...
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Sunday the 22nd June

09:00 DT
The eaglets lying on the nest. There is an uneaten light grey prey on the nest floor.

16:50 DT
One eaglet (the boy?) is sitting in the centre of the nest, no uneaten prey visible, just grey prey wings here and there. The other eaglet must sit on the chicks' branch.

17:10 DT
Both eaglets lying on the nest. The light grey wings with some bones in the Mother's corner look fresh - they maybe got a seagull today, too. No uneaten heads or other fresh eagle nutrition visible though.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Mamicja wrote: ...
Both Danish cams are still offline
@ Mamicja, which links do you have - my "http://pandion.dof.dk/webtv" is not as sharp as I can see on FB - what is the other link?
lianaliesma

Post by lianaliesma »

18.18 Wow! So high!

18.20 And long time! Sibling watched with interest...
We are living in a dangerous age. Human beings dominate nature, before they have learned to control themselves. -Albert Schweitzer
I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the so-called "lower animals" versus the traits and dispositions of man. The result humiliates me. - Mark Twain
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Nice catches lianaliesma!
They paractice a lot nowadays - maybe in a week or two they try it outside of the nest.

On the eagles' FB there is also a nice capture (sharper than my cam link) of the girl eaglet's flying excercise:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=70 ... =2&theater

It begins with that she has to ease the pressure in her body a bit before starting her show - but thereafter it is pure fly!
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Owlie wrote: @ Mamicja, which links do you have - my "http://pandion.dof.dk/webtv" is not as sharp as I can see on FB - what is the other link?
It is the only link I know. I think they have recorded directly from the cam, not via internet.

What a progress: nice branching and mantling! :thumbs:

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Monday the 23rd June

On the eagles' FB the site keepers comment that what I thought was a seal pup was not it - but probably a swan (or other bird) chick.

(But aren't swan chicks grey this time of the year ...?)

On the eagles' FB there are some new clear pictures of that delivery and there are two legs to be seen on the prey.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hav%C3%B ... 5462477788
For nogle dage siden spurgte nogle af jer, om havørnene havde fanget en sælunge. Der var noget hvidt i reden, som nogle mente kunne være en sælunge. Men her kan du se, at det hvide bytte har to ben og ser ud til at være en svaneunge.

GT translation:

A few days ago asked some of you, the white-tailed eagle had caught a baby seal. There was something white in the nest, which some thought might be a baby seal. But here you can see that the white booty has two legs and looks to be a cygnet.
If I understood correct (@ Kukelke or anyone else, correct me when needed) of the question on FB how heavy preys the eagles can carry - they can carry a bit more than half of their own weight. (This had been tested with birds in captivity.) Male eagles weigh around 4 kg and female around 5 kg. So a newborn seal pup of 9 kilos would be too much for eagles to lift up and fly with.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

18:11 DT
One eaglet FLEW down from the chicks' branch to the nest edge onto an outer branch which (s)he newly found - where it looks like (s)he could easily fall down from - but where the outer world must look undoubtedly interesting beyond the nest rim. There are eager flying exercises going on these days!

They have a fantastic sense of dimensions - so they don't fly outside the nest during their wild looking flying rehearsals!

21:00 DT
The girl eaglet is really enthusiastic with her flying excercise!
Her sibling is just relaxing on the nest floor ...
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Watching eaglets today, I thought that they are almost ready to fly (especially one of them). It may happen any day. Sometimes they hover so high over the nest that you cannot see their paws.

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Mamicja wrote:Image
:wave:
It is when a chick is on that branch my heart starts beating extra - how can the chick know that it bears an eaglet!

It is the girl eaglet who stands there right now! 21:09
Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

June 24th
Today eaglets didn't practise too much, wind calmed down.
Preening each other.
Lazy evening.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Wednesday the 25th June
:wave:
There is a new video (more detailed than before) of the Danish eaglets' ringing 24th May on the Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hav%C3%B ... 5462477788

Return to “White Tailed Eagles (WTE)”