Moderator: Moderators

Owlie

Re: Danish WTE web camera 2015-2018

Post by Owlie »

How come the cam time stamp now is half an hour late? :puzzled:
Is the stream live or banded?
Now no stream at all :bash:

The stream back (I switched on 18:50 LK time), but the time stamp still late

She has been in the same position a very long time now - about an hour what I have seen

19:34 LK time calling

19:35 LK time she left
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Soon back again. It is raining.

20:18 LK time

21:06 LK time she rolled the eggs again

I hope she doesn't lay a third egg, two would be perfect!
Now I :offtobed:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

14th March

:hi:

I opened the cam 8:10 LK time and the shift change was just taking place - I sensed only two eggs, but the other eagle was just in the bowl ...

Close ups of the Male

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

For comparison zoomings from the previous page of the Female https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 05#p781605

albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 15.

Rutine round the nest and the eggs. Still 2 eggs, though. And I do not think F will make more this year.
I 2020 there were 3 eggs, but 1 one was broken by the adults during the incubation.

I video from Birdlife Danmark DOF to tell the difference between female and male eagle here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO6LowhWaNo
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 16.

The early morning change
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

A wonderful video of the appearances of the eagles, albicilla! :thumbs:

Male? is having a calm evening on the nest - I am happy that it became only two eggs :D

albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 17.
Every thing is ok at the nest.
Ole Friis Larsen is answering school children at the age 7-8 years about the camera:
Esbjerg
Written by Ole Friis Larsen on March 17, 2021 at 12.21

The camera is attached to a metal tripod. The stand is fastened to a strong branch on the tree with the nest. It should preferably sit directly on the tree with the nest, otherwise the nest would sway from side to side on the recordings in windy weather. When the camera is sitting on the nest tree, the nest is quiet to look at in the wind while the whole background is moving (relative to the camera).

The stand has been sitting on the nest tree for many years. It was hoisted up with some ropes. Our ringers, Kim Skelmose, are really good at that kind of thing. For himself, he has an electric hoist that can run up and down ropes like a kind of elevator. The machine is actually made for people who work with wind turbines.

This winter we set up a brand new camera. On that occasion we got some people to drive all the way to the nest tree with a lift. It made the work much easier and safer - we also need to think about the safety of the people who work with the camera.

Out at the edge of the forest we have an antenna, which forwards the images from the camera to a receiver on a house several hundred meters away. From the house, the images are sent on via a computer in the same way as one sends images from all other computers.

The eagles are used to the camera. There has been a camera sitting by the nest for many years, so it was already there when the new pair of eagles started using the nest. Sometimes we can hear one of them sitting on the metal stand. So they are used to the camera being there, and they might just consider it part of the tree.

The camera is almost silent, and at night we use an infrared light that the eagles - and other animals and birds - cannot see. Even though there are lights on the nest so we can record video at night, it is completely dark for the eagles.

It's true that we tried to scare the crow away by moving the camera, but it's not sure it worked. Maybe it was something else that made the crow disappear. If it was frightened by the camera, it could be that the movement of the camera caused some sunlight to reflect and flash in the camera lens. We bet that the crow was not used to the camera and therefore might be startled by the movements, but we do not know for sure if it was or it was something completely different that made the crow lighten from the nest.

We get the power from some car batteries, which stand outside the forest with the nest and are charged by solar cells. We have laid the cables to and from the nest in some plastic pipes of the same kind that are used for drains, and the pipes with the cables are clamped to trees at a height of a few meters so that no mice enter the cables and gnaw the insulation in two

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Evening food - I think it was a bird

Settling down to incubate

Mamicja

Post by Mamicja »

Male brings food to the nest (big black bird)
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 18.

Thank you for video with the Coot being shared by the eagles.

After that meal it was time not only to rest but really sleep

albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 20.

A video from the installation of the new camera. At thr same place as the previous one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-KuQBZx5F4

And the female at night rest and incubation
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Thank you for the installation video - it is a big project!

Incubation today
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

22nd March

All seems to be ok in the nest when I have a look at there

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

23rd March

Shift change in the afternoon, some nest material brought by Female (I guess)

Male (?) left
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

Yes - it is the Male leaving duty - and female with straw is ready to continue.
I took a scap 10 seconds later:

albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR. 24.

07.03 Male in to cover the eggs.

07.23 Female back with a stick. And it took over the care of the eggs.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

albicilla :hi:

A shift change and a long concert, Male singing loudly and Female accompanying by whistling

Male areating the bowl

Listening to the forest
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

I guess this is Male, and he was calling shortly before thic capture

Calling again

Interesting info from the DOF chat (GT):
Written by Ole Friis Larsen on March 26, 2021 at 19.35
We do not know to what extent Sea Eagles can recognize their young from previous years or not. The American Cornell University has great expertise in birds, and according to that university, research shows that after a year, most birds can no longer recognize siblings, parents or offspring, but there are exceptions. For example, Cranes, Swans and geese stay together in families throughout the winter and can thus recognize each other even in large flocks with hundreds of the same species.

Many birds, especially large birds such as gulls, birds of prey, cranes, storks, geese and swans form pairs for life, so the partners can at least recognize each other for many years - but then they also see each other daily, just like the Sea Eagles on the TV nest and everywhere else.

The question of whether two young eagles, for example, can recognize each other if they meet again after a long period of separation, it is difficult to find an answer to. The same applies if the adult / adult couple on the nest, for example, will be able to recognize 'Romme' as their young from last year, if he returns from Germany, or they will just perceive him as a random young eagle.
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAR 27.

Incubation has now been going on for 20 days. Still 16 days until hatch. Every thing is running ok.

Return to “White Tailed Eagles (WTE)”