Danish WTE web camera 2015-2018

Haliaeetus albacilla nests in other countries

Moderator: Moderators

Owlie

Re: Danish WTE web camera 2015-2018

Post by Owlie »

Mamicja wrote: April 28th, 2021, 8:05 pm :hi:
There is something wrong with one eaglet. It is shaking and looks sick :puzzled:
She lies on the side, head down, and hardly moves. It doesn't beg for food.
I was looking at it already yesterday when it was shaking :slap: Poor little. This year there are so many tragedies in the nests ...
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

APR. 29.

The small chick is still alive, but it is going to die soon. It is very weak.
On the 27. of April it showed signs of weakness, but it got a good meal in the afternoon.
- - -
From the comments on ornetv:
Nice to see that the little one gets a proper feed.
Lots of madness
Written by Hanne on April 27, 2021 at 17.31
The little one has had plenty of food from about 17:20 onwards
- - -
But it was mobbed - pecked by the bigger chick. A sign of weakness.
There was no lack of food in this nest so far.
The reason might be some problem in the digestive system or maybe the bird flue or some other virus or bacteria.
We will not find out.
There will be no attempt to save the chicks life from humans.
It might create problems for the bigger chick to enter the nest at this moment.
Yesterday 28/4-21 the small chick did not eat at all.

A scap from last night
The dying chick to left of the nest bowl surrounded by a Garfish.
The death of a 14 days old WTE with its head on a fish.

And a scap from this morning.
The dying chick is still moving a bit and slowly.
The female sees it, but can not do anything in the situation.

The order of nature
Written by Ole Friis Larsen on 28 April 2021 at 20.45
It is of course heartbreaking to experience the treatment that one youngster receives from the other, but this is the reality sometimes on an eagle's nest - and in many other bird nests.

We can not ask the eagles what they think, just state that there is an individual difference between aggression and what some would like to call sibling love. Last year it went well with two kids who grew up together. That may not be the case this year, but let's see what we're going to learn about eagles from what's going on in the nest right now.

- - - - - - - - - -

Ole Friis Larsens comments in GT translation 08.02 this morning:
We (in the comments on orneTV) talked about last night that both parent birds were aware that something was wrong with one of the cubs. They actually looked like they did not really know what to do with it - without comparing to humans in general.

The weakened eagle cub looked as if the inn (crop?) was full and it did not suffer from hunger. Moreover, it seemed that it itself took a bite of the Hornfish (Garfish), which lay in front of it.

There can be a lot in the way. It is hardly the hacking that has weakened it, but the hacking can be a result of it being weakened in general. For example, it may have eaten something that made it sick.

A few years ago, I was sitting guard at a hawk's eagle nest in Sicily, where the lone juvenile appeared healthy and well but suddenly died one morning when we arrived. It was taken down, and it turned out that it had swallowed a sharp piece of bone, which had made a long laceration in the throat, after which the kid died of infections in the wound. Such a thing can probably also happen to sea eagles and other chicks. Just to name one example.

We would not be able to save the kid without disturbing so much that we would put the other kid at great risk. Therefore, there is nothing to do but let nature take its course, and that would also be the case if we did not have a camera on the nest. We are thus witnessing a drama that probably also takes place in other eagle nests - and in this way we have a unique insight into the eagles' natural life and conditions.

- - -

Kim Skelmose chairman of the wte group at DOF birdlife has been asked about the current situation at the nest. It is in Danish - but a GT - google translation into English might make sence:
https://www.dof.dk/om-dof/nyheder?nyhed_id=1963
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

Feeding at 11.04

Female pulls the Garfish out of the straw and is ready to feed, but the chick in the nestbowl sends a big s-h-i-t directly into the eye of the female.
female shakes its head and starts feeding.
Some fun in the middle of our small tragedy here:

12.01 Still a bit of life left in the dying chick. Heavy and slow breathing might be seen - once in a while.
And some s-h-i-t left in the eye brow of the female

25. of April - Romme is back at island Falster after a small vacation in Germany

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

I cannot watch the cam and the suffering chick, I only read the chat and your notes here until it is over. Thank you for your comments!
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

Romme passed on the 26. of April close to the nest area, but continued North East to the island Møn, where it has stayed earlier this winter/spring

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

One of these sad views again. Wish all the best for the remaining eaglet :heart:

Thank you albicilla, for more positive news - good to see Romme soaring healthy and free! :thumbs:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

April 30th

Kim Skelmose has written about the death of the eaglet - you can use GT for translation
https://www.dof.dk/om-dof/nyheder?nyhed_id=1963

So 35 days incubation maybe was too short and the eaglet hatched too early and didn't cope with the circumstances, cold weather or so. And the parents didn't waste much food for a weak one.

Clarification to the discussion of which one of the eaglets died, GT:
Which of the kids is dead?
Written by Ole Friis Larsen on 30 April 2021 at 08.13
If TV2 Øst writes that it is the first young person to die, they have misunderstood the text. The press release from DOF does not say at all about which of the kids has died, but Kim Skelmose suggests that it is probably number two with his statement that "the hatching happened a little early, the kid was a long time to fight out of the egg and it took quite a long time before it got its first meal ". However, you will only be able to read this as a second youngster if you have followed the nest camera and know that it was number two who struggled for a long time to get (a little too early) out of the egg.

Maybe TV2 Øst got it for the first young person, because it is the first at all that we have seen die, or because the press release says 'the other young person' a few times about the survivor. .
Hope the other eaglet is ok, I think it is shivering, too, when being fed ... or maybe I just imagine and fear for nothing ...
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

APR. 30.

09.24 Female is feeding the living chick with the dead one - its sibling.

A view direction East over the dam to the eagles hunting grounds at the sea.
The small island Store Ager is to the left to be seen.

Ole Friis Larsen has a comment to the question, how did the ill chicken end outside the nest bowl?
GT translation:
Young people (chicken) even crawled away before it died
Written by Ole Friis Larsen on 30 April 2021 at 16.06
The kid who died crawled out of the nest bowl himself. It is not known why it did so, but it has probably been uncomfortable even then. In the evening, both the adult / adult eagles stood and looked at it, as if they did not really know what to do with the kid in that situation.

Sorry for the late reply, but neither of us saw it, so we just had to recapitulate the situation before you could get a proper answer.

DOFs video where the dead sibling turns into food for the elder one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yurp6O5U1MM
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

No waste in the nature

Btw albicilla, it is nowadays approved on the LK to capture pictures in size 1024 instead of 800 long side and the postings become a little bigger
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAY 1.

Another feeding after the male has brought more straw to the nest.

Kim Skelmose is playing with the camera when the feeding has stopped.
Some people are worried there is some inkflammation in the left eye of the chick.

AND we have a comment on the home page about the death of the sibling.
MM is told to face nature, natural processes and reality by other people in there.
MMs comment in GT translation:
To Project Eagle - about video
Written by MM on May 1, 2021 at 12.48
To Kim, Ole and Bjarne

I find it deeply indefensible from an ethical point of view and morally blunt and cynical to produce and publish videos of the suffering eagle cub in its death struggle. It was very clear from the few glimpses I saw before I stopped watching the streaming that it suffered violently - through many many hours (described in the comments section). You generally do nothing to help birds in need, and here you choose to focus on their ailments. You have already published an article with a description of its death struggle, where there is a horrible picture of the dead young man. Is there really a need to revel in it? Can you not just review the video of the child's ailments internally? There is already plenty of material everywhere showing the unimaginable suffering and death of animals, and it is unsympathetic that you choose to contribute to it!

Noon rest
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Well, MM has full right for his/her opinion and to express it. I personally avoid seeing live suffering, you don't have to watch if it is too difficult. Or to read articles about it. But some people are interested in the details, I don't blame them either.

The li'l gets fish for change

Look at that crop! :shock: S/he must have half of a garfish in it :laugh:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

Owlie wrote: April 30th, 2021, 8:10 pm ...
Btw albicilla, it is nowadays approved on the LK to capture pictures in size 1024 ppi instead of 800 long side and the postings become a little bigger
Sorry, I can't find any information about this anywhere. Will you show me the way?"
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Sonchik wrote: May 1st, 2021, 8:47 pm Sorry, I can't find any information about this anywhere. Will you show me the way?"
I don't know the official information, but got to know from a fellow member who mentioned that also at least one moderator is using that size. And there are several others, too, doing it. So i suppose it is allowed, I have used it for some time and no-one has forbidden it. EDIT: I do not mean the resolution but the long side length.
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAY 2.

Ole Friis Larsen has a comment on the straw brought to the nest yesterday.
We still have a very cold spring - especially during the nights:
"Mess in the nest
Written by Ole Friis Larsen on 2 May 2021 at 08.24
There is no mess in the nest, but the wind is coming from the east right now. The nest is most open to wind and weather from the east, and therefore the eagles have made a windbreak."

Feeding by Male and the shield of straw in the right side of the nestbowl.

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

:hi:

Is it cold?

Parent covers the eaglet under hay

Shift change
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

A strange situation - why doesn't she cover the eaglet by herself? :puzzled: :slap:

It looks sad.
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

May 3.

An Eel, 2 Garfish and a Carp are on the nest
The Carp was chosen this time as food

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

:hi:

It is a relief to see that there is lots of food again on the nest - and that the chick pooped a good shot a moment ago, all seems to be well
albicilla

Post by albicilla »

MAY 4.

Still some worries about the inflammation in the left eye of the chick.
It will be raining all day.
The female shields its young the best as it can

Romme on tour
From 26/4 until 2/5

Owlie

Post by Owlie »

albicilla wrote: May 4th, 2021, 8:32 am ...
Still some worries about the inflammation in the left eye of the chick.
Hope it is not question of the same Avian Chlamydiosis as with the SWFL eaglets earlier this year - those eaglets were successfully treated with antibiotics for a week at CROW - Clinic for the Rehabilitation of Wildlife, Inc., this disease requires treatment to heal.
https://www.northeastwildlife.org/disea ... lamydiosis

https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 55#p782155

On the other hand at the Hamlet nest in Florida the eaglet Legacy had an inflammation on her eyes in early age and it healed by itself. She also got Avian Pox virus - a relative virus to human Herpes - and she healed of it, too, without intervention of humans.
The story from beginning: https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 60#p777160

Here close ups of the eye at around 15:10 cam time. The eyelid looks to me just a bit reddish, maybe irritated of something external, hopefully nothing more

In this eye there is no discharge like those in the SWFL eaglets's eyes with Avian Chlamydiosis

Return to “White Tailed Eagles (WTE)”