How to insert a video from YouTube into a post

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

NancyM
Site Admin

How to insert a video from YouTube into a post

Post by NancyM »

When you open the "Post Reply" box to make a post to the forum, you will notice a small "Flash" button and also a "youtube" button near the top of the box.

If you use one of these buttons to insert a link to a video, viewers will see a picture with a "Play" arrow rather than the link, and they can stay right here on the forum while they watch the video. Viewers will also be able to see how long the video is before they click the link.

Here are directions if you want to insert a video from YouTube. Directions for using the Flash button are a little fussier and will be posted separately.

Using the youtube button to insert a YouTube video

1. Go to YouTube and the video you want to post.

2. Copy the URL from the gray box beneath the video (choose the "long link")
For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4izkgnX_k

(note added 2012: the You Tube page looks a bit different now - Choose "share" and then "options" and "long link")

3. Go to the LK forum reply box and click on the "youtube" button

4. Insert the copied URL for the video between the two tags.

5. Delete everything up to and including =
In our example, you would delete http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
and leave Ny4izkgnX_k (this is the ID of the youtube video)

Result (click the arrow to play the video):

ame

Post by ame »

i've learneD that uploaDing viDeos in Youtube is the easy part of posting viDeos. for me the much trickier part was to obtain a Youtube account in the first place. (that was partly because i maDe some stupiD anD silly mistakes in the process... :blush: ) i can't use the small letter D in my writing, because it makes tricks the VLC-player-screen which i'm using to watch the WTE-camera right now. try not to pay attention to it...

below i will try to Describe how to get a Youtube account.
jag skall försöka berätta här hur man skall få ett Youtube-konto i härföljanDe.
seuraavassa yritän kuvailla, miten Youtube-tili avataan.

Youtube is a part of Google.com so actually you'll have to obtain a Google-account first anD then aDD Youtube into your Google-account.
first go to the Youtube-Google-homepage. there you will see a blue bar with the text: "Don't have an account? Sign up for Youtube!". press the bar with the right mouse button.
Youtube är en Del av Google.com så ägentligen måste Du hämta ett konto viD Google och sen tillsättä ett Youtube-konto i Google-kontot.
gå först in i Youtube-Google hemsiDan. Där ser Du en blå balk meD text: "Don't have an account? Sign up for Youtube!". pressa på balken meD Den högra musknappen.

Youtube on oikeastaan Google.comin osa, joten sinun pitää hankkia itsellesi Google-tili, johon lisäät Youtube-tilin.
mene ensimmäiseksi Googlen kotisivulle. siellä näet sinisen palkin, jossa lukee: "Don't have an account? Sign up for Youtube!". paina palkkia hiiren oikean napilla.

in the next winDow they ask whether you alreaDy have a Google-account. assumingly you Don't anD therefore you'll choose to fill in the information which is requireD on the right siDe of the winDow. it may be a gooD iDea to write the passworD of your choice somewhere. then press the button with the text "Create new account anD finish".
i Det följanDe förstret frågas Det om Du reDan har ett Google-konto. troligen har Du Det inte och sen ska Du svara på frågor på Den högra siDan av fönstret. Det är kanske ett bra iDé att skriva ner Det lösenorD Du väljer. seDan pressa på balken meD text "Create new account anD finish".
seuraavassa ikkunassa kysytään, onko sinulla jo Google-tili. oletettavasti ei ole, joten täytä oikealla puolella olevaan taulukkoon kysytyt tieDot. valitsemasi salasana on ehkä hyvä kirjoittaa muistiin. paina sitten palkkia, jossa lukee "Create new account anD finish".

in the next winDow you'll have to fill in your personal Data (in the picture below i've covereD mine with reD blobs). Finish by pressing the "I accept"-button in the bottom line.
in Det nästa fönstret skall Du skriva Dina personliga upgifter (i bilDen näDanför har jag ritat röDa fläckar på mina). sluta meD at pressa på Den "I accept"-knappen på sista raDen.
täytä henkilötietosi seuraavan ikkunan lomakkeeseen (olen piettänyt omani punaisilla pallukoilla). paina lopuksi "I accept"-nappia alimmalla rivillä.
ame

Post by ame »

when you have pusheD the bar saying: "Create new account anD finish!" you'll see the following winDow, where they ask how you wish your account to be verifieD. text message is probably the best choice (at least for non-English speaking people) but you'll neeD a cellphone with text messages available. (then it may also be a gooD iDea to check that you remember your own telephone number correctly. it speeDs things a bit... :mrgreen: )
efter Du har pressat på balken som säger: "Create new account anD finish!" Då ser Du på nästa fönstret frågan om hur Du önskar att Ditt konto skall verifieras. Det är kanske bäst att väljä textmeDDelanDet (åtminstone för Dom som inte talar engelska som moDersmål) men Då ska Du ha ett mobil telefån som kan hanDla textmeDDelanDena.
(Det är kanske också ett bra iDé att bli säker att Du kommer ihåg rätt Ditt eget telefånnummer. Det hjälper att påskynDa saker.... )
kun olet painanut alinta palkkia, jossa lukee: "Create new account anD finish!", avautuu ikkuna, jossa kysytään, miten haluat että tilitietosi varmistetaan. tekstiviesti on luultavasti helpoin (ainakin niille jotka eivät puhu englantia äiDinkielenään), mutta sitä varten sinulla pitää olla kännykkä, jossa on tekstiviestitysominaisuus. (lisäksi kannattaa varmistaa, että muistat oman puhelinnumerosi oikein. se nopeuttaa asioiDen etenemistä....)

almost instantly you will receive a text message with the verification number coDe, which you write in the next page. then press the "Verify"-button.
om ett ögonblick får Du ett textmeDDelanDe som har verifikations koDnummer. Den ska Du fylla in i Den nästa fönstret, och sen pressa på "Verify"-knappen.
tuossa tuokiossa saat tekstiviestin, jossa on tilisi varmennuskooDinumero. täytä se seuraavan ikkunan ruutuun ja paina sitten "Verify"-nappia.
ame

Post by ame »

it takes some 24 hours before your account is activateD (at least it took a long time for me). you'll receive a confirmation.
Det tar omkring 24 timmar innan kontot aktiveras (åtminstone för mig tog Det ganska lång tiD). en konfirmation senDs till Dig.
tilin aktivoituminen kestää n. 24 tuntia (ainakin minun tapuksessani). saat aktivoitumisesta ilmoituksen.

when you sign in the Youtube you'll see this Welcome-message. :rolleyes:
när Du loggar Dig in i Youtube Då ser Du Den här Välkommen-buDskapet. :rolleyes:
kun kirjauDut Youtubeen, näet tämän tervetulotoivotuksen. :rolleyes:
ame

Post by ame »

once the account is activateD, you can sign in (=log on) to your Youtube-account with your username (the nickname you took) anD passworD. to the Google-account you sign in with your e-mail-aDDress.
när kontot har aktiverats, kan Du logga Dig in Ditt Youtube-konto meD Ditt använDarnamn (Dett pseuDonym som Du tagit) ock lösenorD. för att logga in i Google-kontot använDer Du Din e-mail-aDDress.
kun Google- ja Youtubetilit on aktivoitu, voit kirjautua Youtube-tilillesi käyttäjätunnuksellasi ja salasanallasi. Google-tilille kirjauDutaan e-mail-osoitteella.

... then while visiting the account you'll be able to view your settings anD Do stuff there. (i can't quite remember the precise orDer here because i maDe some mistakes During the process anD haD to retry anD restart... but this is the approximate outline of the proceDure. i hope you'll be more careful than i! :thumbs: )
sen på kontot kan Du titta på Dina inställningar på kontot ock göra olika saker Där. (jag kan inte komma ihåg prosessens orDer för jag gjorDe några mistag på vägen och måste börja om ock omgöra några saker... men ungefär såhär gick processen. jag hoppas att Du är noggrannare! :thumbs: )
kirjauDuttuasi tilillesi voit katsoa asetuksesi ja tehDä siellä juttuja. (en ihan tarkkaan muista missä järjestyksessä kirjautuminen eteni, koska jouDuin palaamaan alkuun ja tekemään muutamia juttuja useaan kertaan, kun olin tehnyt välillä virheitä. toivottavasti sinä olet huolellisempi! :thumbs: )
ame

Post by ame »

a bit later i'll post instructions of how to uploaD viDeos to Youtube. that's very straightforwarD anD easy! :nod:
lite senare ska jag posta instruktioner om hur man ska laDDA upp ViDeon in i Youtube. Det är mycket lätt och enkelt. :nod:
vähän myöhemmin kirjoitan tänne ohjeet siitä, miten viDeoita laDataan Youtuubiin. se on hyvin helppoa ja yksinkertaista. :nod:

EDIT: you can find the instructions here: viewtopic.php?p=81798#p81798
ohjeet löytyvät täältä: viewtopic.php?p=81798#p81798
instruktioner finns här: viewtopic.php?p=81798#p81798
oliv

Post by oliv »

:loveshower: ame! I have a Youtube-account now, but how in the world I put a bit of a link in our forum till youtube :puzzled:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

oliv wrote::loveshower: ame! I have a Youtube-account now, but how in the world I put a bit of a link in our forum till youtube :puzzled:
Oliv that seems to be all explained above here..
I did that but I had someone to help me. Above you can see it explained with the red arrows. It is at the top of the page explained by Bociany.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
oliv

Post by oliv »

macdoum :puzzled: I only find how to insert the video in LK, but I wonder how to make a video from a moment 11.10 - 11.14 for example.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

oliv wrote:macdoum :puzzled: I only find how to insert the video in LK, but I wonder how to make a video from a moment 11.10 - 11.14 for example.
Oliv I think it varies with the viewer you use. I think ame uses VLC (?) and she seems to think it is pretty easy. Next year maybe I will download that and try it.
oliv

Post by oliv »

Alice, I am a stupid one :slap: I have tryed to change to VLC but I didn´t manage it either...puuh
I use WMP and wonder...if it can work for my need. :puzzled:
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

@ Oliv
I use realplayer, the free version.
This also allows small pieces of cut.

Perhaps an idea :laugh:

Look here
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26&start=200

and then the following pages....

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26&start=220
Liis

Post by Liis »

The last few days I have had trouble occasionally to reach the Looduskalender pages (some other too, but mostly LK).

Has anyone else experienced it?

I get the Page not found/not loadable - http 404 -type response, and usually it sorts itself out in a few hours at most. Low Internet usage time, as far as I can judge.
It might be my broadband supplier of course - :banghead: why pick on my favourite pages?
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis wrote:The last few days I have had trouble occasionally to reach the Looduskalender pages (some other too, but mostly LK).

Has anyone else experienced it?

I get the Page not found/not loadable - http 404 -type response, and usually it sorts itself out in a few hours at most. Low Internet usage time, as far as I can judge.
It might be my broadband supplier of course - :banghead: why pick on my favourite pages?
Yes I have had trouble with LK, only LK and usually in the Estonian early morning.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Yesterday I had problems and could not open the page.
This morning was very slow.

Only LK, other pages and internet traffic were good.
ame

Post by ame »

some of us are a bit more ambitious than i am about the videos they wish to attach to their board messages (i'm happy when i'm able to record something and upload it in Youtube and get the address... :D )

one possible program to use for editing the videoclips is WindowsMovieMaker. the version you can use depends on the operating system which you have in your computer.
the instructions below refer to operating system WINDOWS XP and Windows MovieMaker (version number 2.something; you'll find it in the internet...)

first open the MovieMaker and choose "Import into collections" from the "File"- menu.
ensin avataan MovieMaker ja sieltä File-valikosta valitaan "Import into collections".
först du ska öppna MovieMare och sen ska du välja "Import into collections" i "File"-menun.

then you look up the correct file and select the videoclip which you want to import. then press "Import".
etsitään muokattava videotiedosto oikeasta hakemistosta ja napataan komento "Import" :
sen ska du öppna den rätta filen och välja den video som du vill. sen pressa knappen "Import".
ame

Post by ame »

the imported video clip will appear in the "Collection"-window in MovieMaker from where you drag it to the storyboard in the bottom.
tuotu videopätkä tulee näkyviin MovieMakerin "Collection"-ikkunaan ja sieltä videopätkä vedetään storyboardiin alalaitaan:
den importerade videon ska synas i MovieMakers "Collection"-fönster. därifrån kan den släpas nedåt i bottnet av sidan.

after dragging the clip down it will appear in the storyboard both in the bottom and on the right side of the window.
vetämisen jälkeen videopätkä tulee näkyviin storyboardiin alalaitaan ja oikealla olevaan ikkunaan:
äfter släpandet blir videon synbar på storyboard både in bottnet och i den rätta sidan av fönstret.

the trick can be repeated with other clips by bringing them into the collection and by dragging them into the storyboard. a clip in the storyboard can be for example removed by clicking it with the right mouse button and by selecting the operation from the opening window.
em. toimenpidettä toistaen voidaan tuoda lisää videopätkiä kokoelmaan ja kerätä kaikki halutut pätkät storyboardiin. storyboardissa olevan videonpätkän voi esimerkiksi poistaa painamalla sitä hiiren oikealla napilla, jolloin avautuvasta ikkunasta valitaan haluttu toimenpide:
du kan repetera denna procedur för at bringa in mera videobitar från din fil till kollectionen och sen med at släpa den in i storyboarden. du kan till exempel ta bort en videobit från storyboarden med at pressa på biten med den högra knappen ava musen. i det fönstret som öppnas då kan du välja den operation du vill utföras.

i didn't try to learn more editing tricks myself. everyone may practise more tricks by her/himself....
en opetellut enempää editointia. sen saa jokainen harjoitella itse.... :whistling:
jag lärde mig inte mera redigering. var och en kan göra den sig själv....
ame

Post by ame »

IMPORTANT: remember to save your project soon after you have started to work with it! this is done by selecting "Save project as..." in the "File"-menu.
TÄRKEÄÄ: muista tallentaa projektisi kohta aloitettuasi työskentelyn! projekti tallennetaan valitsemalla File-valikosta "Save project as...".
VIKTIGT: kom ihåg at spara ditt projekt snart efter du har börjat arbeta med det! det kan du göra med att välja "Save project as..." in i "File"-menun.

then opens a window, where you can find the file where you wish to save the project and give a name to it. finally save the project by clicking the "Save" button.
silloin aukeaa ikkuna, josta voi hakea haluamansa kansion ja antaa projektille haluamansa nimen ja sitten tallentaa projektin painamalla "Save"-nappia:
då öppnas ett fönster där du kan gå in i den filen dit du vill spara ditt projekt och ge ett namn för den. spara filen med att pressa på "Save"-knappen.

remember to repeat "Save" command frequently enough!
muista tallentaa työsi tarpeeksi usein!
kom ihåg at spara ditt projekt tillräckligt ofta!

you can play your project by clicking the "Play" button.
aikaan saadun tuotoksen voi katsoa painamalla "Play"-nappia:
du kan spela ditt project med att pressa på "Play"-knappen.
ame

Post by ame »

how to save the finished movie project /
valmiin elokuvan tallentaminen /
hur ska man spara den färdiga film projekten:

select "Save movie file" in the "File" menu.
"File"-valikosta valitaan "Save movie file".
välja "Save movie file" in i "File"-menun.

in the window that opens select the option "My computer" as the target.
avautuvasta ikkunasta valitaan tallennuksen kohteeksi vaihtoehto "My computer".
välja alternativen "My computer" som målet i det föster som öppnas.

in the next window give your movie a name (black ellipse). then specify the file where you want your movie to be saved. use the "Browse"-command to the open the window where you can select the target file if you want to change it from the default file. (red ellipses)
anna seuraavassa ikkunassa elokuvallesi nimi (musta ellipsi). valitse sitten sen tiedoston nimi, jonne haluat tallettaa elokuvasi. "Browse"-komennolla avautuvasta ikkunasta valiten voi tiedostoa vaihtaa oletushakemistosta. (punaiset ellipsit)
i det nästa fönstret kan du ge namn för din film (den svarta ellipsen). sedan välja den fil dit du vill spara filmen i. genom att pressa "Browse"-knappen kan du välja en annan fil än den som programmen erbjuder. (röda ellipsar)
ame

Post by ame »

when you have finished the selections press the "Next"-button. in the next window you select the Movie Settings. the "Best quality" is recommended so i think it's best to select that. then click "Next"-button.
kun valinnat ovat valmiit, painetaan "Next"-nappia. seuraavassa ikkunassa valitaan asetukset tallennukselle ("Movie Settings"). kannattaa kai valita "Best quality", koska sitä suositellaan "(recommended)". sitten painetaan "Next".
när du är färdig med dina urval, pressa "Next"-knappen. i det följande fönstret ska du välja Movie Settings. jag tror att det är bäst att välja "Best quality", för det rekommenderas "(recommended)". sen klicka på "Next".

when the saving is done you can watch the movie before you click the "Finish"-button.
tallennuksen valmistuttua valmiin elokuvan voi katsoa ennen kuin painaa "Finish"-nappia.
aftersom sparningen är färdig du kan titta på din film förrän du pressar på "Finish".

if someone of you finds out that there's something wrong with these instructions, please let me know! :wave:

Return to “Questions and Help”