Adding images

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Jo UK
Site Admin

Re: Adding images

Post by Jo UK »

Adding images from another URL

If you don´t know what URL is, then you can read about it from HERE but basically it means another website or FTP server.
You can add the picture(s) by using the "Img" tags which are located above you text window(look at the image below, highlited in yellow) after clicking on the "Img" button you will recieve a set of image tags like this:

[img ][ /img]

To make the tags show an image, you now need to insert the URL(the web address where your image is located) between the tags like so:

[img ]http://image URL[ /img]
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Screen captures

Someone has asked about taking screen captures from the webcams.
Some members use Fraps
http://www.fraps.com/download.php
but that doesn't work with Vista.
Another screen capture program is Faststone
http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

Both have free versions, but the free ones don't save as jpg, which you need here. I paid for Fraps and Faststone and can save as jpg .
I bought both because Fraps won't work with all webcams, and neither will Faststone. For me, it was a matter of trial and error to find out which program to use with which webcam. The Estonian webcams can be captured with Fraps, using Windows XP.
Vista users may be able to tell you more, if you use Vista

PS - Beware.

I accidentally bought Faststone Image Viewer, instead of Faststone capture. I was able to make the correction after e-mailing the developer, but it may need some attention to get it right first time, as I found out! :rotf:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

I have Vista, and I use HyperSnap with it. You can download a free trial, but you have to pay for the full program.
http://www.hyperionics.com/

Vista has a nice "snipping tool" built in. It is an "accessory." You have to save each "snip," therefore it is hard to get fast sequences. The advantage is you can Snip a great big picture.
Arvi

Post by Arvi »

I use WindowsXP PrintScreen feature.

At first you have to disable overlay's im WMP Video Acceleration Settings panel (Windows Media Player>Tools>Options>Perfomance>Advanced>uncheck 'Use overlays').
Otherwise instead of captured picture, you'll copy video, which when pasted will work only until the file remains open - when you save it and reopen later, you'll get an black image only.

Now whenever you want to capture a screenshot, press PrtScr key (captures entire desktop), or Ctrl+PrtScr (Captures the image from active window), and then paste the captured image into some picture editor. I use IrfanView, which is a freeware program, allows to select wide array of picture formats, and for a freeware program has quite good editing options.
Knallfroesch

Post by Knallfroesch »

I`m very happy about the vlcsnap. You can download for free the vlc media player.
jpeg format is possible :2thumbsup:
It´s not difficult to set the options to work. (if you have somebody - here in forum who tell how to do :mrgreen: )

viewtopic.php?p=2105#p2105
Bisky

Post by Bisky »

This is just a test of my first try at capturing a screen shot and posting it. Hope it works!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Bisky wrote:This is just a test of my first try at capturing a screen shot and posting it. Hope it works!

good job, Bisky! :2thumbsup:
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

:loveshower: Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been trying in vain to capture images until I read your helpful post. Hurray! Now I can do it! Too bad it was too late to show the raccoon dog from about an hour ago.

Scooter in U.S.
Arvi wrote:I use WindowsXP PrintScreen feature.

At first you have to disable overlay's im WMP Video Acceleration Settings panel (Windows Media Player>Tools>Options>Perfomance>Advanced>uncheck 'Use overlays').
Otherwise instead of captured picture, you'll copy video, which when pasted will work only until the file remains open - when you save it and reopen later, you'll get an black image only.

Now whenever you want to capture a screenshot, press PrtScr key (captures entire desktop), or Ctrl+PrtScr (Captures the image from active window), and then paste the captured image into some picture editor. I use IrfanView, which is a freeware program, allows to select wide array of picture formats, and for a freeware program has quite good editing options.
Scooter from San Antonio, Texas, U.S.A.
silver

Post by silver »

This is test Mait and okaskera and new saltpost
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mikai

Post by Mikai »

Image Image

This is a test, are Photobucket imgs allowed?
Olga

Post by Olga »

Mikai wrote:This is a test, are Photobucket imgs allowed?
Congratulations!As far I know they are! I use just paint, WIN resize-program if I want to make a bigger picture.. I'm a bit clumsy with PC!
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Mikai, yes, photobucket is fine. Thanks for your pictures.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

As I use photobucket for my photohosting site, I can describe how to use it. Maybe others would like to describe how they use Flickr, vlc, Picasa, etc.

First, register a free account with http://www.photobucket.com
Once that is done, click on Choose files. On the same page you can choose the picture size before you upload, or there is an option to Edit, after upload. With this demonstration, I have used a picture of a leopard in a local zoo. Pic size is 800 x 600. Here is the first part of the bucket process.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Once you have chosen your file, it will upload . Wait for the Uploaded 100% to show, then scroll further down the page where you will see your picture -
With apologies to ergee for giving the game away!
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Next, let your cursor hover over the picture you want to select (my cursor slipped sideways. I meant to show it on the leopard - :puzzled: )
Under the picture will appear various types of links. To post a picture here, choose the IMG link. Just clicking on it will copy it to your clipboard

Then paste it here

Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

I tried to post an image from Photobucket - but all I get is:

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.

Is there some special way to post images that I don't know??

Thank you for any help! :D
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Patsycat wrote:I tried to post an image from Photobucket - but all I get is:

It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.
Usually when I see that message, it means either that the size (in bytes) is too large, or the pixel dimensions are too large for our forum.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Please can somebody tell me if this is useful in taking pics for the forums.?

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Screensho ... l-in-Vista
This is edited by Skipper in Hancock forum (I think )
I am trying to work all this thing out... :puzzled: :puzzled: :slap:
p.s. I don't know yet 'how to'. Is this worth trying or are there simpler ways ?
p.p.s. PM problem has been settled. Apparently it was Norton's fault. :bash:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Carmel, so - did you get the Snipping tool to work? I love it - it is very useful at times, but you have to save each capture before taking another one (= slows you down!)

Fraps also works well with Vista now, as do other screen saver programs.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

bociany wrote:Carmel, so - did you get the Snipping tool to work? I love it - it is very useful at times, but you have to save each capture before taking another one (= slows you down!)

Fraps also works well with Vista now, as do other screen saver programs.
Thats nice to know, as earlier posts say fraps don't work with Vista.
I am going to HAVE TO TRY.. :slap: :nod: Son has installed Imageshack for me too.
It seems like trying to climb a mountain.
:wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson

Return to “Questions and Help”