Adding images

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Mila

Re: Adding images

Post by Mila »

:hi: Hi, did anyone of you already trie out "Mejuba"? http://www.mejuba.com/
They say, you could upload fotographs unlimited and resize and edit them...?
Did someone expirience that? :rolleyes:

LG mila
A strange passion is moving in my head, my heart has become a bird which searches in the sky.
Rumi
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Hello Mila,

yes, I, ame and OHansen are using Mejuba. The space is really unlimited (I don't dare to tell how many pictures I have stored there by now) - I am using it to archive the Pontu pictures there on ame's suggestion 3 years ago.
It is a little unwieldy and you have to get used to it, but once you have found out everything it's quite okay. ame is posting pictures from there to the forum as well.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Mila

Post by Mila »

Thanks, Felis, I remembered having heard about mejuba a few years ago.

I registered there allready, but had problems to create new albums.

Now, as I wasn´t in a hurry to post photographs, I managed that. :innocent:
The windows turn up and disapear just so quick... you have to get used to that!

But I think, it´s better to store all the Photographs in one place,
than get nerved from Fotobucket all the time, showing you how much of your allowed space
you used already! :rolleyes:

LG mila :hi:

P.S:

If you edit the fotos in mejuba, they will only resize the foto to 640 x 480.
I let them show the fotograph and than changed the dates in the http-adress to 800 x 600, which worked out fine, but takes all a while.
Fotobucket is much quicker/easyer.
Do you know a better method...?
A strange passion is moving in my head, my heart has become a bird which searches in the sky.
Rumi
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

The only other way of resizing pictures I can think of is doing it before uploading. Some photo editing programs have that included but there are special programs (also freeware) for that purpose too.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
ame

Post by ame »

i use Paint for simple editing pictures, including resizing, see here: viewtopic.php?p=226040#p226040
for a long time i didn't even know that one can edit pictures at these photohosting sites. :blush: :mrgreen:
ame

Post by ame »

Another gif-Maker: http://makeagif.com/

this is a straightforward gif-maker which aita has found. no regisgistration or signing-up is required.
i made a gif of how to use this gif-maker. :D
here the speed of pictures is 7000 ms = 7 s. i hope it is slow enough.

here's another sample.

i think these gifs can be posted directly on the board, if they are made slow enough. i tried first 750 ms first but changed to 1.2 s. i think that slower speed is always better than faster, especially if pictures differ from each other. here i didn't change the size of pictures so they remained original (width 768). maximum number of pictures is 20. that should be enough for most purposes.

i changed width to 500 and left height open ...hmm... no change. :puzzled:
maybe the height should also be given but then one should calculate proper height so that the ratio will not change. too complicated. i guess it's best to resize pictures with Paint (or something) so that the aspect ratio is maintained before making the gif.

posting the gif is simple: copy the code from the "Message board"-box when the gif is ready and then paste it directly in the message here.

keyword SearchMakeAGif
ame

Post by ame »

ABOUT RESIZING PICTURES

the WTE nest camera's picture changed on May 18th 2013 so that it became too wide for the forum. the largest allowed size is width 800 and/or 600 in height. the new size is 960x600 so the new pictures need to be scaled down. earlier (here: viewtopic.php?p=226040#p226040)
i described a very simple way of resizing pictures with the Paint program. this method is too slow if many pictures need to be resized so i needed a fast way to do resizing pictures.

pictures can be resized upon uploading them in some photohosts (or after uploading). however Mejuba which i've used recently does not have this function so i had to find something else. the alternative is to resize pictures with some program in the PC before uploading them to a photohost or, of course with no intention of uploading them anywhere).

i found a program in the web which is a Windows accessory which can resize fairly fast a lot of pictures at a time. (though it starts rather slowly sometimes...)
it can be found here: http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/releases/view/82827
download the setup program and run it.
using the Paint program is too slow if many pictures need to be resized fast. in some photohosts pictures can be resized upon uploading them (or after uploading). some photohosts may not have this function so something else is needed. the alternative is to resize pictures with some program in the PC before uploading them to a photohost or, of course with no intention of uploading them anywhere).

for to resize pictures first select them and right-click on them.

in a short while (it takes a few seconds) this window will open:

it is a good idea to select "Only shrink pictures". that way the aspect ratio (the proportions of the picture) will be maintained, i.e. the picture will not be stretched neither in height nor width.
then select "Custom scale 800 pixels" (above the red oval) as it scales the height correctly in away which does not change the proportion of height to width (the so-called aspect ratio).

in the old version of this tool there was an option "Replace the originals". i did not selected this option because this way resizing made copies of the originals. after resizing i have saved the large originals in my PC-folder for best picture quality and used the resized pictures for posting in the forum. after uploading i deleted the resized pictures from my PC to save space.

i'm sure that there are more little programs that do resizing pictures,too, but this is the first which Google gave me. if you find more clever program(s), please write a note here about it. :wave:
Kertugal

Post by Kertugal »

Good morning
I try to post a screen shot but for me it's very, very hard.

[url]http://Users\Sophie\Pictures\Aigles\20 mai bientôt grand!.bmp (Copier).jpg
[/url]

I don't know if I made it right. I need some help I think. :help:

OK, we go!!!!

I try 5 or 6 times, but I cannot see my photo.
I use Light Image Resizer4 It's good or bad? or there is somethig wrong with the URL?
Sophie
ame

Post by ame »

Kertugal wrote:Good morning
I try to post a screen shot but for me it's very, very hard.

[url]http://Users\Sophie\Pictures\Aigles\20 mai bientôt grand!.bmp (Copier).jpg
[/url]

I don't know if I made it right. I need some help I think. :help:

OK, we go!!!!

I try 5 or 6 times, but I cannot see my photo.
I use Light Image Resizer4 It's good or bad? or there is somethig wrong with the URL?
i'm trying a few things...
[img]http://Users\Sophie\Pictures\Aigles\20%20mai%20bientôt%20grand!.bmp%20(Copier).jpg[/img]

http://Users\Sophie`http://Users\Sophie\Pictures\Aigles\20 mai bientôt grand!.bmp (Copier).jpg

no success. i'll see what i can do but it's not instant magic.

what is your photohost?

... just a minute! now i see that there are back slashes \ in that address. have you copied it directly from your computer?
it doesn't work that way. you need a photohost site first. which country are you from?
Kertugal

Post by Kertugal »

no success. i'll see what i can do but it's not instant magic.

what is your photohost?

... just a minute! now i see that there are back slashes \ in that address. have you copied it directly from your computer?
it doesn't work that way. you need a photohost site first. which country are you from?[/quote]

Thank you for your answer ame. I made a success! You can see the result in " Testing forum functions"
Have a nice day
Sophie
Lena101

Post by Lena101 »

"Man sieht nur mit dem Herzen gut , das Wesentliche ist für die Augen unsichtbar.
"You can only see well with your heart, the essential things are invisible for your eyes. ( Antoine de St. Exupérie - der kleine Prinz)
ame

Post by ame »

http://m1316.photobucket.com/albumview/ ... 2Chkksw%3D

oh wau what a BEAR! :loveshower:

Lena :hi:
i copied the terribly long address that you had inserted between the Img-brackets. that was the address to P-bucket. there i clicked your icon in the right upper corner and i got to your account. there i found the picture of the bear. i right-clicked on the picture, copied the address and inserted that between the Img-brackets, like this (i'll remove some bracket to show what there was):
[img http://mob1316.photobucket.com/albums/t ... 1372668256 /img]

and there's the picture! it is a bit small but i think you'll be able to make it bigger. ask for help if you can't.

there was still something that i could not understand..? i could not find any other alternative to share the picture ecept e-mailing it...? :puzzled:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

ame the new photobucket allows you to choose what sharing options you want to be available and may not default with the useful ones visible.

new is not always an improvement
ame

Post by ame »

yes, the Bucket turned so much worse in the renewal. :rant:

i guess the selection of sharing options can be found in the User settings.
click on View full website (i see that now the mobile phone-setting is default)
there click on your username and the dropdown menu opens. there select User Settings.

in the next menu select Albums and then select (at least) IMG code and Direct link.
remember to save your selections before leaving this section.

then go to your album and click on the IMG-line and it will turn blue. click ctrl-C to copy.

then in the forum's Post a reply window paste the img-code with ctrl-V and your picture will appear in the post. this way the address link will be looong but it doesn't really matter.
in the following i have replaced the first [ and the second to last bracket ] with *'s so you'll see how it will look like in the editing window.
*url=http://s561.photobucket.com/user/anmael ... 4.jpg.html]Image
NOTE: left-clicking on a picture which is posted with url-address will open the way to your photoalbum so that anyone will be able to view your public pictures there! you can try it with the picture below.

if you don't wish this to happen then you should use the following DIRECT address: click on the upper DIRECT-line and copy that. then you will need to click on Img-button in the Post a reply-window and paste the direct address between the brackets:
[img]http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss54 ... 31s224.jpg[/img*
on the above line you see what the the address code of an image should look like in general, also at other photohosts.
here i have again replaced the last bracket ] with *.

right-clicking on pictures posted in either way will give you an opportunity to save a copy of the picture on your computer ("save picture as..." or something like that depending on the language setting on your computer)
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

thanks for the useful topic! Cheers!
ame

Post by ame »

NOTE to those who have used Mejuba: it will close down by April 1st.

you will have to take necessary actions to retrieve your pictures from Mejuba and to find a new photohost.

there should be an announcement about this in their front page. (i just can't open it myself...)
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Hi, I am new around here..Can somebody help me a bit?
I am using the Img brackets and paste the img url in the middle...I am using dropbox, where I upload the pic after save the link...and here it goes, but I can's see the pic on the post...What is wrong?

With and without the brackets:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8n4q63w3jm1eb ... enshot.png

IT works, thanks...I will resize them next time ;)
My life is ever green
Bea

Post by Bea »

Hello Hawk,

the way with the img-brackets is the right way - but you first have to upload your pics to a photohoster like imageshack, photobucket or so .... it won´t work with your dropbox.

And a request - your pics are saved as .png .... which take ages to load. When you save them as .jpg they will load much faster for all viewers.

Please let me know whether it works for you - or when more help is necessary. :wave:

Edit: That´s great, Hawk :thumbs:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
krobbe

Post by krobbe »

@Site Amins
I'm member on a mc-board in Sweden. It's the same kind of forum, phpBB, and our webbmaster has uppdated it so we can add our Pictures directly from our computers. Not necessary having a webbhost and faster to add. We only have to adjust the size of the Pictures to match the tool.
Something that could be possible here?
Be yourself, there's enough of all the other
Bea

Post by Bea »

Hello krobbe!

We had this way of adding pictures here before - long, long, long time ago :D

With nowadays amount of webcams and many members posting pictures in lots of topics it would let our server limit "explode" in a very short time. We have donated server space from Eenet and have to handle it a bit economic.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)

Return to “Questions and Help”