Adding links

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

looduskalender
Site Admin

Adding links

Post by looduskalender »

If You refer an article in Looduskalender, point to address that is seen after You click the title. For example, article about Tiit Randla was published at

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/2162

but if it is the last article in english page YTou can see it at http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/ as well. But soon teher will be next article at this address. But http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/2162 stays the same all the time...
Arvi

Post by Arvi »

How to add links here!

Usually you copy the link from some web site and paste it into Message Body box at appropriate location, then select it and click URL button at top. In your posting, the link is displayed - with whole web address.

When you want to enter the link manually, you type into Message body a string, which start with '', then continues with address, p.e. 'h ... nds with '
In your message like http://tartu.postimees.ee/020208/tartu_ ... 309543.php will be displayed.

Now having the full link path displayed in your post doesn't always look like good idea. Instead you may like to use some keyword instead. The syntax for this will be '<keyword>', where <address> and <keyword> are replaced with ones of your choice. An example:

There was an article about Pig Camera in Postimees

And here is displayed, how this was entered (with couple of abundant spaces to make the link non-functional):
There was an article about [url =http://tartu.postimees.ee/020208/tartu_ ... 309543.php]Pig Camera[/url ] in Postimees
Arvi

Post by Arvi »

How to add/edit quotes here!

Usually you add a quote, clicking on Quote button at bottom and right of message, you want to quote. You can then edit the quoted text, p.e. delete some part of it, but you must be careful with beginning and ending tags ('
' and '[/quote ]') when doing so - otherwise some of quote or all of it is diaplayed along with your message body. (here and below, I entered an abundant space character into every tag, when I didn't want them to be active)

But sometimes you want to quote several different postings, or place your quotes between parts of your message, or you want to quote something from some other source (p.e. some book). Then you have to write the quote manually.

Any quote must start with tag - '
Liis

Post by Liis »

Arvi wrote:How to add/edit quotes here!
Thanks, Arvi !
And is there any good trick for quoting a post from another of the Forums, except the hard=manual way? :book:
Quotes don't give an active link back to the quote, it has to be looked up or searched for, right?
Arvi

Post by Arvi »

Liis wrote:Thanks, Arvi !
And is there any good trick for quoting a post from another of the Forums, except the hard=manual way? :book:
Quotes don't give an active link back to the quote, it has to be looked up or searched for, right?

Copy-paste only, as much as I know. And yes.
Patsycat

Post by Patsycat »

Arvi wrote:
Copy-paste only, as much as I know. And yes.
This is how, Arvi and Liis :D
Do this at the post you want to quote!!
aaa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SAVE THE EARTH!!
It's the only Planet
With Chocolate!
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Can I insert on the Forum (Estonian Tawny Owl Webcam) a video file (.asf ca 5 min) stored on my hard disk?
And if so, how to make?
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

Alfa wrote:Can I insert on the Forum (Estonian Tawny Owl Webcam) a video file (.asf ca 5 min) stored on my hard disk?
And if so, how to make?
:wave: Alfa,

We can attach only still pictures to this forum. Video files are too large for LK to host here. If you have made a video, you can upload it to YouTube or another hosting site, and give us the link so we can watch it.
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

Rozmawiając jak "Polak z Polakiem": Dziękuję Ci Bociany bardzo za tak szybką odpowiedź :bow:

And the same in a more understandable language:
Speaking as the "Pole to Pole": Bociany Thank you so very much for your prompt response
Katti

Post by Katti »

How does this forum link to open a new window :unsure:
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

:wave: Katti,

As you probably have discovered, if you simply click a link, it opens in the same page.
If you want to open a link in a new window (or tab), RIGHT CLICK on the link and choose that option.
Katti

Post by Katti »

NancyM wrote::wave: Katti,

As you probably have discovered, if you simply click a link, it opens in the same page.
If you want to open a link in a new window (or tab), RIGHT CLICK on the link and choose that option.
Thank you, but how do I make a link open in a new window ?
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

If you want to open a link in a new window, RIGHT CLICK with your (right) mouse button on the link and you should see a menu. One of the options is to "open link in new window" and if you choose that option, the link will open in a new window. I am assuming you use a PC because I don't know if it is the same for a Mac or not.
Katti

Post by Katti »

Ok. Thanks.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Hey if I can remember to do that, that will be useful information.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

:loveshower: Alice!

:whistling:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

NancyM wrote::loveshower: Alice!

:whistling:
I remember quite often -- for a social news site it is so handy!
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

FRom Felis today (on WTE feeding )
Mejuba also suffers from the Java problem! I hope a restart of PC will help, just right now I don't have the time to do it. PB - I have been telling them my mind each time I had to switch back and also in the survey!
Felis, I got this warning from my son (internet security guy) 18/1/2013 ;

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/01 ... r-friends/
and

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/01 ... -security/

Don't remember if both links are the same. :puzzled:
BTW I have tried & failed to disable Java. :mrgreen:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I do know, macdoum, the Oracle people have fixed one error with another and there is even money put out for getting codes.
That's why I don't do anything on my work PC to fix the upload problem, I take the snaps on a stick. At home I load and disable - in Firefox it is quite easy.
Now I'm curious how long the fix takes this time, the last one was there already when I had my internship in IT in October! :slap: I remember going around and disabling Java ...
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Photobucket's new threat:
The all-new Photobucket is ready for you.
Hurry! We're only 27 days away from moving over to the new site. Get started with your new Photobucket and lock in your bonus storage today!
:unsure: :help: :banghead: Image Image Image
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection

Return to “Questions and Help”