General questions about the forum

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Biker

Re: General questions about the forum

Post by Biker »

Marfo wrote: April 14th, 2018, 2:17 pm ... So you first have to go to the Latvian live cams page on youtube to get the current live stream. Why?
it seems that you here http://www.lvm.lv/sabiedribai/web-kameras also always get four current yt links. (the LVM supported cams)
...every time I looked there, there were current live links.
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Biker wrote: April 14th, 2018, 5:09 pm it seems that you here http://www.lvm.lv/sabiedribai/web-kameras also always get four current yt links. (the LVM supported cams)
    ...every time I looked there, there were current live links.
    Yes, thanks Biker. I asked on Dabasdati and it seems the LVM You Tube was restructured, the addresses changed several times. But now there are permanent new addresses. I'm glad because I have many bookmarks with all the links of the cams so I don't like to have to go to another page with links.
    Biker

Post by Biker »

good to hear, thanks. i' ve a playlist with the live-links and juggle constantly between edit, delete, add... ( :slap: )
    *Please don't feed the trolls!*
    Askja

Post by Askja »

Camera & forum overview - combining the different languages
    I really had some difficulties to associate the Estonian camera names with the English forum names. Especially when, in some excited moments, I wanted to quickly tell a German friend which camera to look at.
    So, for my private use, I made this overview page (based on the cam overwiew page) with all the names and links and saved it as my bookmark. I would happily share this with other forum users but I am not sure if I am allowed to attach it as a text or html file here, or in a different forum?

screenshot of my overview page
    “Animals, like us, are living souls. They are not things. They are not objects. Neither are they human. Yet they mourn. They love. They dance. They suffer. They know the peaks and chasms of being.” (G. Kowalski) Caveat: Apart from this remarkable sentence I do not agree with his philosophies.
    Marfo

Post by Marfo »

What happened to the Pontu snapshot an videos? The Pontu.ca is a blank page.
    Bea

Post by Bea »

Pontu.ca was an initiative of a private person and is not continued any longer.
    Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
    Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Bea wrote: May 8th, 2018, 11:20 am Pontu.ca was an initiative of a private person and is not continued any longer.
    Pity! Thanks, Bea.
    ame

Post by ame »

About ancient old LK news videos
    ame wrote: January 7th, 2019, 1:41 pm ... there's something wrong with the Eagles' Winter videos. only the earliest (in the bottom of the list) opens for playing. the rest seem to be non-existent. the situation seems to be the same with WTE camera news (Linda&Sulev 2009): videos will not open. the addresses seem to lead to eenet. they are of the form:
    mms://video.eenet.ee/2009/2009-06-01.asf
    the Siga-news videos don't open either. :faint:
    i suppose that Techno-Urmas has misplaced them. or something... - this is not a big problem though, is it? who needs these videos? i don't know...
    so i wrote an e-mail to Tecno-Urmas and...
    ame wrote: January 8th, 2019, 4:37 pm Techno-Urmas replied to me about the old videos:
    "we do not use this old video.eenet.ee Microsoft Media Server anymore,
    this was using proprietary network-streaming protocol.
    If anyone needs these old videos, I can put them somewhere, but for
    streaming compatibility somebody must convert them to mp4 or mkv format."

the pig parade around the nest tree in early spring 2009 was one of these memorable old videos. i downloaded the Pontu video of this day and re-made the clip and posted it in my remembrance post in the 10th anniversary topic. so if someone needs a clip of the ancient old videos i can make them. we don't need to bother Urmas with it.
    i realized later that i'd need the time to re-make videos, date would not be quite enough. so re-making videos would be a bit more laborious that i thought first.

later i got new mail from Urmas:
    "Urmas Lett (8.1.2019 18.42)

For testing purposes I have put old 2008 and 2009 archives to Pontu,
    you need to change URL:
    mms://video.eenet.ee/2009/2009-02-11.wmv ->
    http://pontu.eenet.ee/2009/2009-02-11.wmv

Is this helpful or not at all?"

yes, it's useful! it works. :laugh:
    andrasiboti

Post by andrasiboti »

Hello.

I am not sure where to ask this, so sorry if it's slightly off-topic.

But do researchers, biologists or zoologists use the info/observations made on the Looduskalender Cams or other Cams, in their work/research?

I am a member in iNaturalist, and one thing that I noticed, is that adding observations made from watching wildlife/animal webcams, i.e. submiting what you've seen on cams, is not that welcomed/desired... I am not talking about submiting media made from the Cams, pictures, videos, audio, but describing what you've seen by text.

Again excuse the off-topic, if it indeed is off-topic, but I am not sure where to ask this..

Thanks in advance!
    Nature is for everybody.
    ame

Post by ame »

andrasiboti, this was not a n off-topic question here, don't worry. :D

i am not certain how much time for example ornithologists have to read our forum, especially in the hottest field work season. but i'm certain that none of them is opposed to us posting our observations here. on the contrary, writing our observations is encouraged.

i also think that it is up to us to make the forum interesting enough for to make them read it more often. this means that we should strive to make as accurate observations as possible with at least the camera time of the event. we can then possibly add a picture or even a video if possible but it is not necessary. the most important thing is to write that something interesting happened at a certain time. then the event can be looked up afterwards. :D
    Thierry_French

Post by Thierry_French »

Hello,
    Two questions for the people who manage the forum.

1- Can not you create a topic on the forum (without link to avoid obsolescence). What type of material do you use for video and its re-transmission in the forest?

2- The forum topic "Looduskalender Webcams" of the camera links are dead can you not update it?

Thank you for your video broadcasts of wild fauna is also very appreciated in France. :D
    Regards,
    Bea

Post by Bea »

☼ ☼ ☼

Hello and welcome to the forum, Thierry_Frecnh :hi:

Unfortunately I can´t tell you something about the equipment that is used to build the camera streams - maybe one of the people who work on it will still find time to reply.
    (I hope I understood your question right ....)

But I made a new list of the current camera links and it will be updated as soon as new cameras will go online
    viewtopic.php?f=72&p=718560#p718560

Thank you for your "push" to finally make an update :wink:
    Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
    Thierry_French

Post by Thierry_French »

Good evening Bea

Thank you for this update :D , however why not keep only one post the first page being obsolete.
    That's right "camera and means of transmission", on the site there is an article which has just appeared on "Golden eagle nest camera 2020" in English with some information.
    https://www.looduskalender.ee/n/en/node/4303
    Regards,
    Bea wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 2:07 pm ☼ ☼ ☼
    Hello and welcome to the forum, Thierry_Frecnh :hi:

Unfortunately I can´t tell you something about the equipment that is used to build the camera streams - maybe one of the people who work on it will still find time to reply.
    (I hope I understood your question right ....)

But I made a new list of the current camera links and it will be updated as soon as new cameras will go online
    viewtopic.php?f=72&p=718560#p718560

Thank you for your "push" to finally make an update :wink:
    Jo UK
    Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

"Why not keep one post the first page being obsolete"

Puzzle.

Seems like he wants us to arrange the topics or pages in a different way. No, I don't understand it either.
    Felis silvestris
    Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Maybe Thierry means to keep the first post empty?
    Speaking for myself and most of the moderators here, we use the first post to introduce the camera, put up links and information and even keep several empty posts for any kind of information added later. This avoids that one has to search in long topics with many posts for certain important information, like when an egg arrived or chick hatched etc.
    “One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
    "You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
    Jo UK
    Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I don't see a need to change that. Members know to look on page 1 for information. Thierry will get used to it, too.
    Thierry_French

Post by Thierry_French »

Hello,
    I explained myself badly!
    This is only a suggestion, I managed on my own well before opening an account on the forum, in fact it seemed to me to be useful to facilitate the search has other users. :laugh:
    Jo UK » April 2nd, 2020, 8:11 pm wrote:I don't see a need to change that. Members know to look on page 1 for information. Thierry will get used to it, too.
    As for the forums which evolve every day (landscape, life of the fauna, flora, ...) the hierarchy of a post temporally is indeed important.

To come back to the subject of my question:
    Felis silvestris wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 9:17 pm Maybe Thierry means to keep the first post empty?
    Speaking for myself and most of the moderators here, we use the first post to introduce the camera, put up links and information and even keep several empty posts for any kind of information added later. This avoids that one has to search in long topics with many posts for certain important information, like when an egg arrived or chick hatched etc.
    :thumbs:
    It seems logical to find on the post header the message of "current" information in the first position (page) since these are the ones we are looking for (subject, links, ...) in particular for "Looduskalender Webcams" . This information is not changed often or changes only rarely.

The links are no longer active "Obsolete" (as it seems to me and not functional) why keep them in first position? That does not mean that they should not be kept in history in descending order.

Please understand that this is just a suggestion, nothing more. This will not prevent me from congratulating you on your site and your forum.
    Best regards,
    Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

I haven't been seeing any old forum posts lately. Is it just me?
    For example, I go to last year's topic in the WTE and see messages only starting from March of last year. If I open the messages of one user, then I can't go to the topic from the old messages of the user.
    ame

Post by ame »

sorry Sonchik, i didn't notice your question earlier.

now i don't understand..?
    i go often to the front page:
    https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 35#p704635
    then i can go to any page i like. :puzzled:

can't you open the important events from the link which i gave in the YT chat? or the hatching of the first chick?
    Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

I solved the problem. I have in all topics in the settings is "show messages for 1 year". I couldn't change them in all the topics myself. :puzzled:

Return to “Questions and Help”