VLC player

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

unp

Re: VLC player

Post by unp »

ame wrote:my problem is how to make the link open by clicking the link on the forum, on the first page of J-E- topic.
Open by clicking the link on the forum - that's exactly what happens if the settings are: preferences -> applications -> content type=rtsp action=use VLC media player
ame

Post by ame »

the settings in Firefox or in VLC?
i have clicked the link in the forum page but i get the same error message again and again: Firefox cannot open it.
:dunno: :faint:
unp

Post by unp »

ame wrote:the settings in Firefox or in VLC?
In Firefox. I check now and then, it works perfectly for me.
To set action=use VLC media player you need to go (via "Use other...") to C:\Program Files (x86) > VideoLAN > VLC and choose vlc.exe

P.S. Sorry, I might have misled you. What I called "sections" may be better described as parts. In http://www.nursing.vanderbilt.edu/tools ... links.html there are four major headings, in bold brown (or dark red) type. I meant the third and fourth ones of them, you need to scroll down. There are detailed instructions, only Quick Time player should be replaced with VLC.
ame

Post by ame »

i think i found the instructions which you mean, unp. they seem to be the old instructions which i followed the last time make rtsp work. the problem is now that my version of Firefox is quite different, it's 41.0, brand new and probably updated for smart phones. i found the similar place where these applications can be selected (options -> apps) and there is the search line. when i write 'rtsp' on the search line i get nothing! Firefox does not recognize the whole thing anymore! :slap:

it seems that from now on i need to copy the rtsp-address and then open VLC separately. there i click Media, select Open Network Stream, paste the address there and click open. that's needed only once, after the first time VLC remembered the address although the pc was turned off for the night.

maybe the recent crashes of Firefox are also some symptoms of the new version not being quite faultless yet? for me the Firefox became slower and slower in the last weeks. it usually didn't close decently in the evenings so it had to be recovered from old data on many mornings. finally yesterday it had a forced refreshing. maybe others should be prepared for refreshing Firefox, too?

thank you for your help, unp! :bow:
unp

Post by unp »

ame wrote:the problem is now that my version of Firefox is quite different, it's 41.0, brand new
Mine is 41.0, too, updated from 40+. Never crashed on me yet.
The application panel looks and behaves exactly as described in
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ap ... dles-files.
RTSP can be added to the list of applications as described in
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ch ... ad-actions
If you have crashes you can try a clean install:
1. Export your bookmarks as suggested in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ex ... r-transfer
2. Uninstall Firefox completely, eg. using REVO Uninstaller (a free application) choosing the most thorough uninstall option, selecting and removing all entries from the registry and file system.
3. Install Firefox.
4. Add RTSP to the list of applications as described in the second link above, you can make changes later as described in the first link above.
5. Import your bookmarks - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/im ... -html-file\
Hopefully everything should be ok again
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

The problem came with the new update of Firefox (41). Already in the beta versions there were many complaints about random hangings, but still not fixed in the new release and no working solutions given. I have tried everything but in the end I have solved the problem by going back to the previous version (40.03). That worked as an udate and so kept all my setting. But if you wat to backup your settings, use Mozbackup. If something has gone wrong, you can restore your settings.
ame

Post by ame »

ooo.... i dare not uninstall my Firefox completely although it has stopped working several times already today... :shock:

this is what i see when i try to search for applications for rtsp:
it gives me no choices. :puzzled:
unp

Post by unp »

Then I must be simply lucky to have no problems with FF 41.0 :innocent:
ame wrote:this is what i see when i try to search for applications for rtsp:
Do you see a list of applications (scrollable) when you remove "rtsp" from the search line, i.e. when the search line is empty; is there "rtsp" in that list? If not, "rtsp" should be added to the list as explained by Mozilla support
ame

Post by ame »

do you mean this:
Adding download actions

On the web, find a link to a file matching the type you want to add.
Click on the file link to download it.
Select how you want Firefox to handle the file:
Open with: Saves the file to a temporary folder and opens it in the default application for that file type. To select an application, click Browse....
this advice is about file download, not opening a link which i want. :puzzled:

there is no rtsp in any of the lists i can see or open. :faint:
when i click the rtsp-link for example on the J-E 1st page i get the announcement that Firefox cannot understand this address instead of an offer to associate some/any program with it.
The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (rtsp) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address.
i must be extremely thick-headed... :blush: :cry:
unp

Post by unp »

ame wrote: this advice is about file download, not opening a link which i want. :puzzled:
"To select an application, click Browse...." in your quote is about choosing the default application to open the link.
The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (rtsp) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address.
Since "rtsp" is not in the list of applications it's clear that it is not associated with any program but why "rtsp" could be not allowed is a mystery. Something may have gone wrong somewhere and it may be too difficult to find out what happened. That's why I thought that a clean install might help. :dunno:
ame

Post by ame »

i surveyd the web for comments on the new Firefox version and found out that it has received sooo much negative criticism. most of all people complain about it being extremely slow. that is something that i have experienced in the past few days, too. another thing is it crashing and stopping working frequently which i have also encountered like many of the the other forum members as well in the past few days.

so i guess that the rtsp-problem is just a minute fault in the whole mess. i'll stop bothering myself with it and wait till they get it sorted out. in the meanwhile i can run the webcamera directly with the VLC-player (which by the way has been working today without breaks for 9 h 50 min. i can't remember when the last such day was. :laugh:)
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

how can I use VLC Player for YouTube Live Streaming

1. You have to install the VLC Player
2. You must install live streamer
http://docs.livestreamer.io/install.htm ... s-binaries

3. click on installer (for Windows user)

4. install the Live Streamer
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

after installing the Livestreamer, a editor opens

now, you have to open the comand prompt

the DOS box opens

go to the Editor and copy the blue marked line and paste on the C:\Users\Liz (look the picture) and press the enter button

the VLC player opens automatically
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

the next steps .... please be patient :bow:

EDIT: You can try all the options, that are shown in the editor for Windwos. It is from user to user not always the same path.
if the correct path is entered, it opens the VLC Player.
For me it was the one, what I selected and blue marked.
Nothing can happen if you tries the wrong path.

Ame, maybe you can do it better?
I have problems with English explanations. Even with technical English. That's the reason why I now need a break.
Maybe I should wait, until my colleague comes. :rolleyes:

I will delete this, when I have the next steps!
ame

Post by ame »

i continued my experiments with the LiveStreamer and finally i managed to make it run.
this is the correct command:

now the problem seems to be with the VLC: it will only show a still picture, not live stream.

this is the address to the LiveStreamer (LS for short in the following) info pages:
http://docs.livestreamer.io/
there under the title User guide you will first find Installition of LS for different platforms. i have used both the Installer and the Zip archive so i think i've installed it in double. :mrgreen:
running the installation will finish in opening the configuration file "livestreamerrc" in Notepad for editing if you allow it. i think it's best not to open the file. i did first but i think i managed to undo all my edits in the end.

for running the LS you need to open the "Command prompt" window, i.e. one needs to dive under the Windows N- operating system down to dos-level (the "C:\"-level; we older people still remember this faintly. :mrgreen: ) you'll find it when clicking the round window-icon in the lower left corner. then look in All programs for it. for me the four first letters were enough: i typed "comm" and the computer suggested "Command prompt".

then i tried to start the LS with several wrong commands (including one silly typo). in the end i found the correct syntax which is shown in the above picture. it's
livestreamer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDi1iCcI76c best

the address is the Juras-Erglis stream and 'best' will give the best quality picture.

i had to type the youtube-address character by character because the paste command with Ctrl-V does not work in dos any more. it needs an extra trick nowadays... :puzzled:
maybe this will help:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/25590/ho ... nd-prompt/
... that didn't help but this did:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... prompt.htm
copy 'normally' the text you want. then click the right mouse-button and select paste.

i wrote a question in the Videolan forum about the VLC's present inability to handle live streams:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 34#p448734
hopefully someone of the Videolan team sees it and will do something about it.

Return to “Questions and Help”