LK forum user settings

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

ame

LK forum user settings

Post by ame »

I'll gather here information about
How to set user preferences in the Looduskalender -forum
once you have registered in the forum and begin to post mails on it.

first thing after you have received the acceptance of your membership is to select and set a password for yourself. the procedure is already described here:
viewtopic.php?p=308023#p308023

i'll copy those mails here, too.
On 09 Apr 2014, 12:01 Felis silvestris wrote:Resetting your Password

Click on "User Control Panel" on top right corner of the forum page

There you click on "Profile" on the left side

On the next page click "Edit account settings"

and here you have reached the page to change your Password:

If you change your E-mail address (also on this page), your account will be temporarily deactivated and has to be newly activated by one of the administrators. Don't worry, this will not take long!
ame

Post by ame »

Usually the next thing you like to do is to
Set your time preferences.

A great deal of LK-forum members are outside of Estonia which is the home country of Looduskalender and the LK-forum. All the LK-cameras follow Estonian time zone which is East-European Time (EET). EET is 2 hours ahead of UTC (UTC = Coordinated Universal Time or GMT = Greenwich/General Mean Time or the so-called 'London-time'). Besides Estonia also Latvia, Lithuania and Finland follow EET.

Many of LK-members live in the Central European time zone which is one hour late of EET and one hour ahead of UTC. Besides this difference there is also the bi-annual change to and from the Summer time/Daylight-saving time (DST): in the spring in one weekend in late March the clocks are turned one hour ahead. In Estonia then the time will be EET + 1 hour. In the late autumn in the end October the clocks are turned one hour back and thus to the normal time. All nature cameras in Estonia and also in Latvia have their clocks set to the EET.

The members who are living outside EET-zone have basically two options: you may wish to follow your own time zone or you may choose your forum time to be EET. The latter choice may seem awkward first but that way the forum time and the camera times are the same. This may be an advantage in some cases. I know that for example Felis silvestris from Germany has set her forum time to be Estonian. In the first case (which at first sounds like the obvious choice, i.e. using your own time zone) you'll need to remember to change your time to the camera time each time you post a mail with significant timing information.
(i don't know how i would manage this if i lived somewhere else than Finland. i'm sure that i'd change the time to wrong direction at least every other time. i can't understand how Alice in Oregon does it... :bow: )
ame

Post by ame »

You will find the time settings in the User Control Panel (1). Then click 'Board preferences' (2).

Then you'll see a list with these lines near the bottom. I have here selected the Central-European time zone with no summertime (although today the summer time is already effective!)

Then i made a test post and took a screen capture of it. Here you can see in the lower left corner of the picture that time stamp of the picture is 11:39. The posting time which is the forum time according to the time selection which was made above is 9:40. This is two hours less because the time zone selection is 1 hour later than EET and also the normal or winter time is another hour late.
ame

Post by ame »

If I change my time zone to the EET and take Summer time into account as well the selections will look like this:

When I wrote a post in the forum it looked like this:
ame

Post by ame »

Note that the change to and from the Summer time will change all the posting times whether they were made in the summer or in the winter.
This was for me very difficult to perceive in the beginning and it still does confuse me sometimes. I'll make a picture which will illustrate the situation.
This is a screen capture of a post made in February (when the normal or winter time was in effect) as seen in a picture taken today. Note how the posting time appears to be 1 hour later than the event itself although the mail was posted right after the event.

The situation becomes much more confusing when in winter time one reads posts which were made when the summer time was in effect. Then it will seem like people have had fortune-telling gifts in the summer time: someone has posted about an event 1 hour before it happened! :slap:
Here I had changed my time settings temporarily to winter time.
aita

Post by aita »

:hi:
I'm logged in, so it's all right.
When I open the forum as usual guest, then there is a difference an hour.
I logged off. Forum time change - 1 hour
There is a time in my computer
Looduskalender, EENet and myself - we have all the same time.
ame

Post by ame »

that was interesting, aita! but i think i found out where the difference comes from.

when you and i are not logged in the forum time does not have Summer time in effect. our computers, however, have the Summertime (or DaylightSavingTime =DST) which is 14:2something now.

when we have logged in, the Summertime is in effect as we both have made that setting in our board preferences. that pushes our LK-forum time one hour forward to the same time as we have in our computers and clocks.

at this point one might ask why then the forum does not show the Summertime as it is universally or at least Europe-wise in effect. that is a question to which i don't have an answer. the forum is just not set that way. :D
ame

Post by ame »

the forum time is a bit complicated. also i have sometimes difficulties in understanding it. especially the summertime brings a new twist in it.
i took a pair of screenshots to show what it looks like to me.
the upper panel shows how i see my pc's clock and the forum time when i'm not logged in. the lower panel shows the times after i have logged in. the post in the corner next to the clock is the same. as you can see the real EET time is about 10:30 for me but the forum time (the time of post) has changed by an hour! :slap:
the same change, i.e. one-hour jump, happens in the board index page, too. it depends on whether you are logged in or not, and is probably due to the summertime.
Hagnat

Post by Hagnat »

Viky

Post by Viky »

I have a few questions:

Why I cannot post a new topics in forums and I cannot post attachments.
And when I submit a post, I have a message that my post must be approved by moderator or administrator, and it takes time, and only after confirmation I see my posts in forum.

This should be like that or not?
Bea

Post by Bea »

Hi Viky,

new topics can only be opened by Admins or Moderators.

Actually we have the forum settings that the first few posts of new members have to be approved, to avoid spamming and troublemakers

Sometimes it takes a few minutes until one of mods or admins are online and approve the posts.
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
ame

Post by ame »

also attachments aren't possible in this forum. they used to be once a long time ago. then one day there were too many pictures and the server collapsed and all pictures were lost. since then everyone needs a photohost to post pictures. i have seen that many Latvian members use Radikal.ru. Photobucket is another often-used photohost. Germans have different ones.

there is a topic in this Techincal -thread about posting pictures. have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21

if you can't find answers to your questions don't hesitate to ask someone of us. :nod:
Viky

Post by Viky »

Thanks for the explanation :)
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

How it is possible to change the indication of a floor in a profile? I have noticed that at many users with woman's names the male is specified. Now and at me also :puzzled:
I have mistakenly written in other subject and I can't remove. This subject approaches more.
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: September 5th, 2018, 4:00 pm How it is possible to change the indication of a floor in a profile? I have noticed that at many users with woman's names the male is specified. Now and at me also :puzzled:
[ color=#FFBFFF]I have mistakenly written in other subject and I can't remove. This subject approaches more.[ /color]
"indication of a floor in a profile" do yoy mean the text in the lowest line under each post?
like you have the text "Excuse my English". those things you can change in the User control panel (but i suppose you have found that already).

"many users with woman's names the male is specified"?
this i don't understand, sorry. :blush:
the sex of the members is not asked or specified anywhere. most of us are women. in some cases we know who is a man and who is a woman, but there are also many undefined people. it is not necessary information.

when i registrered i tried to be clever in choosing my username so that i should stay 'incognito'. soon it became clear to me that almost everyone knew which one of the two i was. :laugh:

you can remove your post as long as no-one else has written something after you. if someone writes a post after your post then you can't remove it anymore yourself. then you can send a personal message (a pm) to one of the administrators or moderators and ask them to remove your post from the wrong place.
does this help at all? :dunno:
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: September 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm "indication of a floor in a profile" do yoy mean the text in the lowest line under each post?
No. Possibly it is difficulties of the translation. I have emphasized a line "male". I don't know from where she has undertaken.
when i registrered i tried to be clever in choosing my username so that i should stay 'incognito'. soon it became clear to me that almost everyone knew which one of the two i was. :laugh:
Recently in YT chat we with one person have taken you for the man and other person has corrected us, having reported that you the woman. It was a shame to us :blush:
you can remove your post as long as no-one else has written something after you. if someone writes a post after your post then you can't remove it anymore yourself. then you can send a personal message (a pm) to one of the administrators or moderators and ask them to remove your post from the wrong place.
When I tried to remove the message in other subject, the inscription "has appeared you can't delete messages in this forum".
Ame, thank you that you help to understand :2thumbsup:
ame

Post by ame »

that is strange. i see only this information under you avatar (the little picture)

"User avatar
Sonchik

no text "mushik". (i have no Cyrillic letters)
how can you see it? :puzzled:
i have never seen it anywhere. do you see such text with every member?
Sonchik

Post by Sonchik »

ame wrote: September 5th, 2018, 6:37 pm do you see such text with every member?
No. A half of users has such inscription. The inscription appears only after the translation.
Probably GT plays pranks :rotf:
ame

Post by ame »

Sonchik wrote: September 5th, 2018, 6:46 pm No. A half of users has such inscription. The inscription appears only after the translation.
Probably GT plays pranks :rotf:
so it does! :rotf:

Return to “Questions and Help”