Post by Hagnat »

Potplayer

F7: Control panel
[Ctrl-G] - Screen capture
[Shift-G] - Sound recording
[Alt-C] - Video recording
(This is my standard setup)

F3: Open files (from your harddisk)
Ctrl-U: Open url. When you have copied an url, it is already there, otherwise copy and past it here. This is also the way to open files from the Pontu archive.

Via the menu you can manage your favourites (Album/Favorites)
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Thank you Hagnat :2thumbsup:
Biker

Post by Biker »

livestreamer*

A little command line program, very easy to handle. It is available for windows, mac and linux and various streamimg protocols are supported - eg rtmp (rtsp works also), HTTP, HTTPS - including youtube livestreams.
With a few commands the streams will handed off to your favourite player(s) eg to watch live or to write direct into files to your device - or both at the same time.

*title made more visible by ame. - thank you biker!
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Biker

Post by Biker »

ame wrote:
*title made more visible by ame. - thank you biker!

thank you

livestreamer : not to be confused with the same named browser addon.
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Sounds interesting but I don't quite understand how it works. What can it do?
Biker

Post by Biker »

From docs.livestreamer.io/cli.html#command-line-usage :

* * * Livestreamer is command-line application, this means the commands described here should be typed into a terminal.
On Windows this means you should open the command prompt or PowerShell, on Mac OS X open the Terminal, app and if
you’re on Linux or BSD you probably already know the drill.
The way Livestreamer works is that it’s only a means to extract and transport the streams,
and the playback is done by an external video player. Livestreamer works best with VLC or mpv, which are also cross-platform,
but other players may be compatible too, see the Players page for a complete overview. * * *

I discovered following
eg command for recording:

-- livestreamer "rtmp://193.40.133.138/live/kobras" live -o /destination folder/filename.mp4
-- livestreamer "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvpMRdDk2Ws" 720p -o /destination folder/filename.mp4

You can choose stream-quality, add the desired quality (... p)
Voilà: use one program to record several streaming protocols with one tool
Marfo

Post by Marfo »

Thank you for your explanation Biker. But I still haven't found a (free) screen recording programme for mac that actually works without distortions in the sound or other difficulties. So that would be the first step.
Biker

Post by Biker »

i'm pleased to hear that, Marfo. Have a nice day. :wave:
ame

Post by ame »

i'll try screen recording with oCam instead of aTubeCatcher. i have begun to suspect that when i start aTubeCatcher it will start something else at the same time. then this something else will use so much resources on my pc that everything else becomes extremely sticky. then i'll have to reboot everything and that takes a lot of time and gets on my nerves.

one day this week my pc began to buzz very busily and it was doing something with full steam. normally it doesn't 'say' much anything. i checked the Task Manager's processes list and there were a few programs called 'dsnet'-something which were taking a great deal of the resources. today i realized that aTubeCatcher is a product of DsNET Corp. it took me a while before these two things were associated in my mind. i don't know if aTubeCatcher is the culprit for the stickiness but i decided to try something else instead of aTubeCathcher.

do others have similar experiences?

edit: i uninstalled aTubeCatcher from my pc and thought i'd re-install it from the official site of DsNET, but my FSecure blocked it! it said that this site was harmful, don't go there. :slap:
so i didn't. :unsure:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Ame :hi:
I have no resources consumption. Neither aTube Catcher, nor ocam

A Tube Catcher Version 3.8.9032 (I do not updating because malware is expected)

OCam Version v416.0 needs 91,2 MB without work

the most resources need google chrome

running program is the same
ame

Post by ame »

the resource consumption was not done by aTubeCatcher (i think i had even turned it off at that time). there were some other programs which had "dsnet"-something in their names and they were running steaming hot in the pc. i tried to stop them but i could not. it said that "you have no authority" or something like that. the steaming stopped when i restarted my computer. i'm not sure but i have a feeling that the steaming started after a while every time i started aTubeCatcher. :puzzled:

then i tried to reinstall the aTubeCatcher and the F-Secure said that the site was dangerous and i got frightened. :shock:
i decided to stop using the whole program, also the older versions.

i have now used the oCam for a few times without problems. :D
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

ame wrote:........Liz, is this new fancy video editing done with help of whatsap? ...

I use Movavi video suite :laugh:
You can record a desktop, cut videos .. very precisely!
You can convert the videos, add music .. intros, pictures ...
That's very good for me. It's good because I can zoom in, Slomotion and so on. I cut the spot I want in Slo-mo, split the audio track and add it back after editing. Then there are no unusual sounds.
If something is interesting, I can zoom in and out of the video .. nice effects. When a chick hatches, or when I like to see what food is served :laugh:

EDIT: BTW: that's good for presentations too.
mogga

Post by mogga »

Hello! :wave:

Mostly I am watching and recording with PotPlayer. For example, when a bird is expected to come back to the nest from the winter residence, I am recording a lot.

Last year this was working without difficulty. This year PotPlayer begins to stutter, not while playing, but when recording at the same time. The recorded video doesn't stutter when watching it later, of course. But the simulcast begins to stutter as soon as I press the record button.

I also discussed this a little with Liz01 by direct message. Maybe there are other users with this problem that have found a solution? I tried this and that with low-level recording adjustments (Video-Bitrate, Samplerate...), but that doesn't seem to be the problem... :puzzled:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Mogga, I've not read it, but there is a Tutorial in german.. maybe you will find the solution. :bow:

https://basic-tutorials.de/potplayer-fu ... erfahrung/
mogga

Post by mogga »

Thanks, Liz! :hi:

That looks fantastic! I think, I will find the solution there... :2thumbsup:
Rita

Post by Rita »

Oh dear, I have started right from scratch, i.e. right from page 1 of this thread trying to understand how recordings work.

It got worse - I do understand less than before - I must be quite a moron, I do not even know which player I have got on my PC, if any at all. :shock:

I asked Mogga about the archive and how to upload it last year - at that time I could not try it as I still had a really old PC. Now I have got a new one and the capacity should not be a problem.
Biker

Post by Biker »

:hi:
I use VLC to record scenes from the archive
http://193.40.124.24/
Then you do not have to download the whole file and save.
You play an archive video with VLC, jump at the desired time and start recording in the desired length.
ame

Post by ame »

Rita wrote: September 9th, 2018, 12:35 pm ... It got worse - I do understand less than before - I must be quite a moron, I do not even know which player I have got on my PC, if any at all. :shock:

I asked Mogga about the archive and how to upload it last year - at that time I could not try it as I still had a really old PC. Now I have got a new one and the capacity should not be a problem.
i think that you need to download and some video player like VLC or Potplayer and then install it. (in Windows there's Movie maker but i don't know if it can be used for recording streams. otherwise it is soooo slooow that it is good for nothing.)
i used VLC earlier but it cannot record Youtube stream which is in mkv-format so i changed to Potplayer. look up either of these and install the program. then ask for more advice if you don't get it working.

if i have to record something from the delayed Y-tube stream from the screen then i use aTubecatcher. (there are other programs like this, too.) one must download a version that is old enough. the web page with the latest version is polluted with something harmful and my Fsecure firewall protection does not allow me even enter those pages.

the disadvantage of aTubecatcher is that you cannot have anything else with sounds running on the pc at the time of recording. one also has to be very careful with other things so that nothing else pops up in the area of the screen which is being recorded. i don't like this at all. it paralyzes me from doing practically anything else during the recording.

if you have a new pc with lots of space then it is possible to download whole archive videos and make clips of them with some suitable program. (not Window Moviemaker; it takes eternities to manipulate even smaller files!). Solveig AVI trimmer is a practical program to make clips of almost any length.

if you can use a pc (and you can!) then you can learn to run these programs as well. :2thumbsup:
Rita

Post by Rita »

Oh my, thank you so much Biker and ame. What I intend to start with is downloading an archive file and from there record and compile bits to make a video.

But I guess someone has to show me, that's how I learn best. I am very careful with downloading programs, in order to not mess up something else on my PC.

:wave:
Rita

Post by Rita »

I am in the archive and have chosen a file. What do I click now? Open or save? Do I have to create a folder beforehand? I guess it will download completely onto my PC and from there I proceed then. Right? :puzzled:

Return to “Questions and Help”