Basic Forum functions

How this Forum Works - Questions and Answers

Moderator: ame

Biker

Re: Basic Forum functions

Post by Biker »

ame wrote: like 10, 20, or even more? it would take a lot of screenshots to take and save... :unsure:
Well, this addon is quick installed and configured. And then it's every time just one mouse click and: done.
...and the chaos is eliminated ( :mrgreen: )
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
ame

Post by ame »

Biker's method brought to mind another trick. i used it for recording a long-term weather forecast a few days ago. i used a screen recorder (aTubeCatcher in my case but any screen recorder will do). i opened the forecast page, selected the area on the screen, and started recording. then i slowly scrolled through the page where the forecast was.

i have usually taken screenshots for saving a weather forecast. with this long 10-day forecast i should have needed many screen shots and a lot of editing the pictures. the recorded video was much less work. on the other hand, a video becomes a much larger file than a few screen shots would be. there is always some price to be paid. :slap:

edit: now i had time to download and try the Screengrab add-on. it's great for making quick screenshots, much quicker than print-screen&Paint method which i have used for making simple screenshots so far.
ame

Post by ame »

i made two demo videos to illustrate how personal messages can be saved.

first recording a video with some screen recording program.
open your InBox and open the message that you want to save.
scroll down to Message histore to see all the messages in the chain. then scroll through them from top (the latest message) to the bottom (to the first and oldest message).
then save the video with a suitable name.
this is a very quick method. you can play and stop the video where-ever you want to read the messages. you can also take screenshots of certain parts of the messages if you want to.

then the Copy-Paste method. after opening the message history sweep over all messages (with left mouse button down). then click ctrl-c to copy the marked text.
then open a new Word document and paste the copied material with ctrl-v.
then save the document with a suitable name.
this demo is for Windows but i'm certain that there is something similar in Mac and other machines.
the benefit of this method is that you get a text document of the messages. this may be useful later.

thanks Liz for helping in the making of these videos! :wave:
mogga

Post by mogga »

Hello everybody! :wave:

I wanted to show again how to link to a single specific post.
There are already instructions about this. But maybe now as the forum has changed a little it might be helpful, especially for new users.

Go to the post you want to link to and click with the right mouse button on the tiny orange icon at the top. Then click with the left button on 'copy link adress'.

Go to your text field for a new post and paste it there.

You can watch that here (the lettering is unfortunately in German, but probably that's not so important):

Protecting our environment is not a luxury we can choose to enjoy, but a simple matter of survival. – Dalai Lama
balistar

Post by balistar »

Dear Members / Moderators,

i don't know if I am right here in this thread to ask for help with Privat or Personal Messages. :help:

Since the change of this site/forum (outfit) a few months ago i am no longer able to send a PM. Before the changing it was no problem.
If I now compose a message and write a recipient, then click "Add", the recipient disappears.
I can see the preview of my message, but it will not be sent, because the recipient always disappears when I click "Submit".

Does anybody know why this does not work anymore? What can I do ? Can someone please help me ?

What I am able to do, is to reply to a recieved message. Then my message will be sent.
But I can't create a new message.

Today I recieved an e-mail and I saw it only on my e-mail-account, not here in Looduskalender in "Private messages". I'm so sorry that I can't give an answer, because I never recieved a message from this member, so I can't answer with "reply".

I hope my "English" is understandable and i would be glad if someone could help me.
Thanks in advance.
ame

Post by ame »

thank yo balistar for letting us know!
there were some hick-up's in the new system when it started. the problem that you described sounds like one of those. i hope you haven't suffered from it for a long time.
i can't look up for a solution but i'll write to others who can do something about this (hopefully).
balistar

Post by balistar »

Thank you very much, ame.
No, i had not suffered from it for a long time, actually i noticed it recently for the first time and first i thought i did something wrong :shock: :D

So I also hope that the technicians can fix the hick-up.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

balistar :hi:
Check your PM, then we can email our way through this!
balistar

Post by balistar »

Jo, thank you so much for solving the problem.
Sometimes i don't see the wood for the trees :blush:

Many thanks for spending your time on this. :nod:
lispet

Post by lispet »

Hi, my outgoing private messages are stuck in the Outbox. How can I get them sent?
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Hi lispet. :hi:
Your PMs are stored in Outbox until the recipient opens it, then it appears in Sent.
If it stays in Outbox then maybe the recipient has not checked PMs for a while. In that cae, try using the email function.
lispet

Post by lispet »

Thank you Jo for the info! :wave:

Return to “Questions and Help”