Autumn in Looduskalender Forum

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
visitor

Re: Autumn in Looduskalender Forum

Post by visitor »

Jo UK wrote:This topic is soon going to get untidy and difficult to follow. After a few pages we shan't know where to go to look for the original appearance of an area.

Shall we make separate topics for each country?
Or one for each member who wants to keep track of autumn/fall?
What would you like to see? Imagine it 6 weeks from now, like this!
It's a great idea to show Autumn coming... though I would prefer to see Spring coming, hehe... :rotf: Have to wait...

I was just going to suggest separate topics for each tree species, so we could see how different they are in different countries. :puzzled:
(I'm afraid I couldn't explain very well. :dunno: )
a storkaholic
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Of course, it is possible to make topics for each tree species, and you explained it very well!
So, how many trees have we covered so far?
Oak, maple, lime, goat willow
Pepper cake and sweet gum -

You realise that this will mean we have to post our pics twice? Once, in the tree species topic and again in the country topic.

Who is willing to do that?

don't all rush - :rotf:
Liis

Post by Liis »

Tree topic:
Yes, absolutely. But as long as we write the names of the trees in our posts we don't really need spedific topics, at least to start with.
The search engine should be able to pick out, for instance, all lime tree posts from Seasons - if it behaves.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Thankyou, Liis.

I couldn't help noticing that there has not been a rush to post in two topics! :rotf: :laugh:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Jo UK wrote:Thankyou, Liis.

I couldn't help noticing that there has not been a rush to post in two topics! :rotf: :laugh:
I think we do not need to do all the trees (doubt sweet gum trees are very common) but it might be fun to see some maples in various places together and I promise I will do my work today.
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

yikes! this part of the forum has quadrupled overnight (I like the organization by country/area)

How come everyone's is "autumn" and alice is "fall" :puzzled:

I have some pics in my camera and will extract them ... there are one or two yellow-red leaves in there somewhere.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

I thought that "fall" is the word Alice would use. Maybe in Canada too?
Tell me what is right, please. Maybe I misunderstood the differences in language!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Jo UK wrote:I thought that "fall" is the word Alice would use. Maybe in Canada too?
Tell me what is right, please. Maybe I misunderstood the differences in language!
I am much more likely to use the term fall. I might be prone to teasing you because of all the flack I got from my Canadian teachers for the lazy use of English "you Americans" are prone to. Now the two people I know, who frequently spell night - nite are Canadians, and when I worked with a little scientific journal I harassed a poor Canadian for his laziness. :laugh: Maybe you are teasing me because I tend to use the u in honour, neighbour and the like.

But in all honesty autumn sounds a bit on the posh side.

bociany feel free to use Autumn for yours if you don't like the lazy American label. :headroll: :laugh:

Jo I love the way English varies it really makes me smile.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Alice, I am not teasing you, but I have a lot to learn about the differences in our languages :help: If you are happy with Fall, keep it. I can change others too.
Perhaps Bairbre will say which she prefers.

Oh? Autumn is "posh"?
I don't know these nuances!! Keep talking, I could learn more.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Jo UK wrote:Alice, I am not teasing you, but I have a lot to learn about the differences in our languages :help: If you are happy with Fall, keep it. I can change others too.
Perhaps Bairbre will say which she prefers.

Oh? Autumn is "posh"?
I don't know these nuances!! Keep talking, I could learn more.
I also smiled because I spend a lot of time "stumbling" -- a sort of social web site -- so fall matches. :shock:
I could be wrong but I think Americans use Autumn when they want to appear well educated and when the context would allow Fall to be misunderstood as fall.

But as to the title I love being distinctive! :gathering:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Jo, check out the fall colour in the WTE forum. Maybe we could use images from the cam as a record of fall in Estonia?
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Good heavens - now I see there is a difference between Fall and fall :puzzled:

OK - will go to WTE - has Renno repaired it already?
Liis

Post by Liis »

Trees have memories* too: Stockholm botanical gardens has three birches quite near each other, same (basic) species, various geographic origins: one from far up north, Luleå, Lapland; one from middle Sweden (Dalecarlia; a scion of the famous Japanese-maple-leaf birch, Ornäsbjörk, described by Linnaeus’ son, no less), one from Central Europe.
The Lapland one is nearly all bare already, others still green.

*re Jaak Kikas’ article about memory materials ; and how many yoghurt cups will end up in ovens these days? - see pics at end of article
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis wrote:Trees have memories* too: Stockholm botanical gardens has three birches quite near each other, same (basic) species, various geographic origins: one from far up north, Luleå, Lapland; one from middle Sweden (Dalecarlia; a scion of the famous Japanese-maple-leaf birch, Ornäsbjörk, described by Linnaeus’ son, no less), one from Central Europe.
The Lapland one is nearly all bare already, others still green.

*re Jaak Kikas’ article about memory materials ; and how many yoghurt cups will end up in ovens these days? - see pics at end of article
I kind of thought of that :rolleyes:
I have been playing heating #? 6 plastic so the thought of heating a little yoghurt container is not such a leap.

Trees remembering or knowing when they should change is interesting.
Liis

Post by Liis »

alice44 wrote: I kind of thought of that :rolleyes:
I have been playing heating #? 6 plastic so the thought of heating a little yoghurt container is not such a leap.

Trees remembering or knowing when they should change is interesting.
Trees seem to differ about what counts as danger signals for winter: temperature, temperature changes, length of day, light (the "lightness" of it) ... and mix the factors too. But outside Uppsala, Mid-Sweden, the Agricultural Sciences University has a line of birches, coming from south to north of Sweden, that bud and drop their leaves at different times, still much like they should do "at home". Haven't been there, but should, right time now.
Yoghurt cups with a memory: now, did Jaan Kikas consider the risk of different materials in different countries .... :mrgreen:
#? 6 plastic ? :puzzled:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Liis
Most of the plastic here has a number stamped into the plastic so that it can be sorted for recycling.
(one of the kinds shrinks in the oven and can be used for making little projects -- )
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Aah - the recycle triangle? I didn't know what 6 plastic meant, but I get the idea now.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Is there anyone here who can smell the first autumn day? Every year, from about late August onwards, I open the door in the morning and sniff the air. One day, and it's different each year, I can smell autumn!

There was a year, recently, when I didn't smell that autumn smell. I haven't been able to smell it yet this year, either.
Does anyone know what I am talking about? No-one at home understands this!
NancyM
Site Admin

Post by NancyM »

alice44 wrote:I could be wrong but I think Americans use Autumn when they want to appear well educated and when the context would allow Fall to be misunderstood as fall.
I tend to use both Autumn and Fall for the season, it's a sort of half-and-half thing with me (not a snobbish thing). Fall is my favorite season, and I love the autumn colors (no u). 8-)

To get to my house, if you were in the center of town, you would make these turns:

Chestnut
Garden
Elm
Winter
Autumn
Meadow
>>>(me) :mrgreen:
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

What wonderul names, bociany.
Please will you drop me off at Elm (where the lime trees are)

Return to “Seasons”