Fall in Oregon, USA

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
alice44

Re: Fall in Oregon, USA

Post by alice44 »

The crows were really active. They are collecting black walnuts from across the street and I heard them dropping them from the top of this grocery store. Those nuts are so tough, I am not sure that the drop will crack them.

this is from farther down the street
alice44

Post by alice44 »

The Yellow Maples just down the street and I guess the crow is the same as the second crow above.

Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

You have posted such beautiful photos, Alice. Autumn is a lovely span of time in Corvallis.
Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

...'our' crows do that too. We keep the walnuts in a basket on the back terrace,the crows come and help themselves. Then the fly up and drop the walnuts on the garden path..not on the grass. Very clever birds.
They don't seem to have passed the word around as there are only 2-3 crows coming to do this. :D shhh its a secret..I'm thinking.
Its amazing there aren't more because in the park at the end of the road is a whole very busy rookery. Lucky for us as they are so noisy. They have the Compagnie Republican de Sécurité as neighbours (Riot Police).. :rotf:

The Maple trees are a wonder. :thumbs:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

In the transfer from my camera to my computer the two of them mixed up my images so the newest were first and the oldest last so I cannot quite figure out the dates but.

Here is a cute little maple tree first from one side looking through an already bare Small Leafed Maple tree

then a couple days later from the other side

and here it is about 8 days later

These are just round the corner and they are the trees that were flame red and are now all bare.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

I have not yet found an image of this tree before a branch the -- half the top of it -- fell out of the sky and into the street.

This is the pile of the branch after city employees chained sawed it all up and used a bobcat (a truck thing with a big shovel on the front) to push and pick it up.

Here is the tree with the missing top -- the part that fell was where the branch from the closer tree is.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Mushrooms (and I do not think I have ever seen these "live" ever before)

and about a week later

they do not seem to be exactly the same ones but they are basically in the same place
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

alice44 wrote:Mushrooms (and I do not think I have ever seen these "live" ever before)

and about a week later

they do not seem to be exactly the same ones but they are basically in the same place
Lovely photos again, as always, Alice. I can see where the large branch fell from the sweet gum tree. These mushrooms seem probably to be a variety of Amanita. Toxic (psychoactive). I found a link in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria
Kitty KCMO
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Yes Kitty I think you are right -- I think the first time I heard about these mushrooms was on this site looduskalender, so I thought it was interesting that NOW I see them. As an adult looking at them they don't look like something anyone would want to try, but I suppose a child might feel differently.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

My Azalea which is still blooming -- I left the Sweet Gum leaves in the bush as evidence the picture is really depicting November 16.

A Rose taken pretty much the same day

A Persimmon taken about a week earlier. When I walked by on the 16th the persimmons had all been harvested and the tree had no more leaves.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Doves at a feeding station

alice44

Post by alice44 »

More Maple leaves because they are just so lovely

Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Wow!
Alice, this Oregon topic is so colourful!
Olga

Post by Olga »

Jo UK wrote:Wow!
Alice, this Oregon topic is so colourful!
I think the same!

Alice, your photos are beautiful, they are also artistic, pictoresque. The feeder Station for Doves is just lovely!! :D The Doves on the photos look nice and handsome!
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

alice44 wrote:
A Rose taken pretty much the same day

..and this is the photo I love. :2thumbsup:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Olga wrote: I think the same!

Alice, your photos are beautiful, they are also artistic, pictoresque. The feeder Station for Doves is just lovely!! :D The Doves on the photos look nice and handsome!
That feeding station is down the street a bit. I think a young couple moved in a few years ago and they are working hard and making a nice creature friendly yard.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I think we might have our first frost tonight. I am bringing all my potted fuchsias in.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I guess we did have some frost followed by rain.
And more rain and then some more and wind.

And now a whole tree has fallen, maybe the one next to the one that lost its top. And the ones in front of my house are the same kind which makes me very nervous.

And there is threat of snow and or ice in the morning.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Oh no !! Then they council people may come and cut down all the trees. :slap: What a pity,I was always thinking you lived in a lovely environment with all those beautiful trees.
They must be attacked by some insect,or disease. :cry:
Emily Dickinson
alice44

Post by alice44 »

macdoum wrote:Oh no !! Then they council people may come and cut down all the trees. :slap: What a pity,I was always thinking you lived in a lovely environment with all those beautiful trees.
They must be attacked by some insect,or disease. :cry:
No pictures yet -- well my computer is full so they are still in my camera, but I did try to take some. They chopped down 2 of the 5 trees.

I have finally put up my bird feeder, but so far when the blinds are open the birds stay away. Hopefully some day they will be brave enough I can get a picture.

Return to “Seasons”