Winter in Finland 2010 - 11

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
leonia

Re: Winter in Finland 2010 - 11

Post by leonia »

Hello Olga, good to see that spring has reached you too and the squirrels are well.
Hello Felis silvestris, wellcome here! May you tell us in which part of Germany you are living? I saw the stairs of an old house on one of your photos: that reminds me of our bureau in a similar old house where we have a lot of squirrels too (see some pages above).
We also have those red ones and a really strong dark brown one (should be a male), but the pics I made were not good enough to show.

I also read that the more the squirrels live to the east and north, the more grey they become in winter or even are the whole year long. So because Finland is much more north east than Germany, the winter is much colder and longer, so they should get a thicker fur and this winter fur is grey.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hello, Leonia :wave:

This is a story in 14 photos to follow, of a little male squirrel eating nuts in April morning.

Hi, it's me here!

I am always hungry in the morning.

What, what are you doing there?
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Sometimes life is so easy.. jam jam

Which one of the nuts should I take next, hm..

This is so tasty.

Good that you haven't forgotten me!
Olga

Post by Olga »

Oh, no! My nut begun to fly and it fell down!!

Haha, I found it!

Uh, what was that noise!

Did you hear it?
Olga

Post by Olga »

Please, don't move the curtain!!

I am a bit scared, but..

..but I'll have some nuts more. I know that you are watching me!

the End :laugh:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga,welcome back to you,the squirrels and :loveshower: here's to spring.!
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Hi Olga!
:loveshower: How cute! A real story!

As Leonia ( :wave: ) already wrote, the squirrels here are not really changing their colour.
Hi Leonia - I think you are not that far away from me :wink:
I think the colour of the squirrel does not have anything to do with the gender. We also would have liked to know if it's male or female and I read that it is not so easy to determine the gender. Searching quickly I found this page http://eichhoernchen-notruf.com/erste-h ... timmung-1/ - which is in German, forgive me Olga, but shows the "little difference" very nicely. Left picture shows the male, right the female. The text says, that it is not really easy to say and sometimes, when a foundling is handed over, the presumed "Peter" becomes a "Petra".
Now I also found an English description, though without the pictures http://www.ehow.com/how_5693550_determi ... irrel.html
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

It's all right, Felis Silvestris! There is very basic information behind the links that you gave, of the traits of the gender of squirrels :thumbs:
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga wrote:It's all right, Felis Silvestris! There is very basic information behind the links that you gave, of the traits of the gender of squirrels :thumbs:
The distance between the anus and the genitals is very important.. :rotf:
So,Olga you have to prepare your mesuring tape.!!!! :rolleyes: .... :rotf: ... and ask the squirrels to sit still. :whistling:
Sorry,I couldn't resist that.
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:rotf: They are hiding "it" very well. Looked also through all my photos, their "shirts" are covering the important places very well, so are Olga's squirrels. Unless she grabs one I think we will not get to know if "Peter" or "Petra" is visiting :mrgreen:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

leonia

Post by leonia »

:rotf: Tears in my eyes from laughing :rotf:

On one of my winter squirrel pics one could see that it was a male. One of the red ones tried to reach for the fat nuts in front of the window and showed his whole underpart clearly.
And our dark brown one (Browny) it a real big boy, don't think that it may be a female.

And in spring times just look which one is running behind the other: the first one is the female, the one behind it the male. :whistling:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I took the time yesterday to read through this whole thread. Such a lot of amazing and cute photos, Olga, congratulations! :loveshower: You are really lucky to live in a such a place! When I have some more time, I'll look through your other threads, and I'm looking forward seeing more of your cute little friends!
Have a nice evening and a good week! :wave:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Hi, today was a beautiful day!! One squirrel visited, I tryed but I could not see if it was she or he.. The lightning was difficult, bright sunshine from behind - it meant bad reflections on photos. When the snow melts the reflections do not disturb that much anymore. And yes, and then.. :laugh: " have to prepare your mesuring tape " :rotf:

at 7:00

10:08

10:09
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave:

We have done some forest clean here! Some of willows growing too dense has been sawn down. The important trees may grow now better.

alice44

Post by alice44 »

:hi:

Looks like the squirrel is enjoying the change.

Olga -- no worries, when the squirrels start to nurse their young, you won't need a tape measure.
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: One squirrel visited for one hour ago! At first I thought that it is Oscar.. but then.. more pics to come!

Olga

Post by Olga »

Who are you! ? :D

Olga

Post by Olga »

Hi!

Olga

Post by Olga »

Well, I see you are there..