Autumn and Winter 2011-12 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Manu

Re: Autumn and Winter 2011-12 in Finland

Post by Manu »

@Olga: You're welcome :wave: .
I hope also that the storm does'nt get to strong on squirrel hill (and another place) and the damage will be limited :nod:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga, I hope it doesn't get so bad this time :unsure: Thank you for very nice pictures and videos. It was funny to join on your shopping trip :2thumbsup:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Lussi05 wrote:Olga, I hope it doesn't get so bad this time :unsure: Thank you for very nice pictures and videos. It was funny to join on your shopping trip :2thumbsup:
The crow turned his head left and right while he was waiting a safe moment to cross the street. He reminded me from my first school year. We were taught to watch 'first to the left, then to the right and one more time to the left, before crossing any street! :laugh:
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

That crow went to the same school!
In UK, we were taught "First look right, then look left, then look right again. If it is clear, cross the road."
But that is for people who drive on the wrong side of the road, of course!
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga wrote: The crow turned his head left and right while he was waiting a safe moment to cross the street. He reminded me from my first school year. We were taught to watch 'first to the left, then to the right and one more time to the left, before crossing any street! :laugh:
The " crossing road lesson " sounds familiar.. 8-) and when we were the oldest at primary school ( age 12), we got the job as a "traffic police" ,dressed in orange vests and flags. We helped the smaller children to cross the road at the end of the school day.....it made us feel VERY important :rolleyes:
Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: There was no storm yesterday! The day was just dark and rainy..

Today I got to see this sweet face behind the window:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Yesterday morning. A familiar looking squirrel boy, lively and hungry, was there already when I turned light in my room:

Olga

Post by Olga »

One little video of the blue morning. We were waiting for a new storm and had a lot to do beforehand, filling water buckets, running to stores for batteries, for food.. :slap: But nothing happened!

Olga

Post by Olga »

Today in the midday this time, quite probably the same young male squirrel was there. I settled my camera to take video.. The squirrel looked so calm and content. Tits were there around him as always, but he did not them bother himself and his lunch.

The first three videos, at 12:00

1:

2:

3:

Olga

Post by Olga »

The squirrel was no hurry. For one-two seconds it watched straight at the curtain, and at me :peek: , but he was more interested on his nuts and went on eating :D

continues, videos will be here later
Manu

Post by Manu »

A cute video from squirrel in the "blue" morning :loveshower: .
Fine, that storm not came to squirrel hill.
for that here in Switzerland (and Germany I think) today was very bad weather, strong wind (her name was "Andrea"), rain, snow and thunderstorm....
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

I love the blue hour, it is so evocative. The squirrel on the pictures and video, so cute and lively, and we can see him very clear against the blue morning background. Beautiful pictures, as always :loveshower:
(I am glad the storm desided not to visit you this time Olga)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Manu wrote:A cute video from squirrel in the "blue" morning :loveshower: .
Fine, that storm not came to squirrel hill.
for that here in Switzerland (and Germany I think) today was very bad weather, strong wind (her name was "Andrea", rain, snow and thunderstorm....
Huh, you had a thunder, too! :shock: Weathers have been very strange here and there. It may be easier for some birds to find food, but there are dangers too. I have read from our papers that a mallard has laid 8 (or more) eggs and has been about to brood them, too.. :help: And some bakteria which would die in winter frost, will not die this winter, if real winter weathers does not come soon.

edit: the Mallard's nest, photograph taken for one week ago in Finland, Espoo, Suomenoja - 12 km from Squirrel Hill. Four months too early :slap:

http://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/Sinisorsa+aloi ... 5552402572
Manu

Post by Manu »

I think this year winter is very strange :puzzled: and for nature not normaly . Here in Switzerland for example I heard that hedgehog not will do a right hibernation.
In my garden , plants begins to sprout, and it's january and not spring :shock: .
Olga

Post by Olga »

A peaceful midday of a young squirrel male, he was eating quite a lot:

:puzzled: hm.. let's hope that last (nr 1 will be all right, too) it's still black at 22:32.

Olga

Post by Olga »

Manu wrote:I think this year winter is very strange :puzzled: and for nature not normaly . Here in Switzerland for example I heard that hedgehog not will do a right hibernation.
In my garden , plants begins to sprout, and it's january and not spring :shock: .
Yes, it is worrisome. Here it is told that bears are not able to hibernate, to sleep well be cause of the rain that has been poured in their nest! They wake up are forced to search new dry place. But I guess it is not easy to find.

edit: I added a photo of the Mallard nest with 9 eggs on my previous post above.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Lussi05 wrote:I love the blue hour, it is so evocative. The squirrel on the pictures and video, so cute and lively, and we can see him very clear against the blue morning background. Beautiful pictures, as always :loveshower:
(I am glad the storm desided not to visit you this time Olga)
He seems to be uncertain if he should eat upstairs or downstairs! :laugh: He even jumped aside to think about the matter. Then he chose to eat downstairs at first.
Kitty KCMO

Post by Kitty KCMO »

Olga, your movie of the crow crossing the road was so funny! He looked like he was very much in command of the roadway. :laugh:
Kitty KCMO
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga wrote::wave: There was no storm yesterday! The day was just dark and rainy..

Today I got to see this sweet face behind the window:

Olga,I love this squirrel,his colouring,red socks and gloves are just beautiful.
Its wonderful that ,so far this year no squirrels are injured. (has that bad cat gone away ? :whistling: ) They all look so healthy too.
Its good you didn't have another storm...we did,(we are so near Switzerland/Germany Manu) and we had that thunderstorm too, lots of lightning flashes..none of us has been outside to see if the garden is alright. At least our trees are still standing ! :thumbs:
Goodnight. :wave:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Poor duck. Maybe its Daisy's cousin ? .. :rotf:
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson

Return to “Seasons”