Autumn and Winter in Germany

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
heidu

Re: Autumn and Winter in Germany

Post by heidu »

:mrgreen: thats a really great pc you got there. if you get hungry it helps you with that too :rotf: :nod:
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Hello,
I am ashamed to admit, that I never had seen any great white heron until last week. Here are some todays pictures from a tiny lake in the south of Germany, near Aalen, where the white and the grey herons hunt together as a family.

Birds in the sun:

Herons flying into the trees after being disturbed by people:

alice44

Post by alice44 »

Herons and Egrets are some of my favourites.

Around here the Great Egret is much more common now than it was when I was young.
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Alice,
Egrets = white herons?
They are really nice. Not that common here though...
vainamoinen

Post by vainamoinen »

alice44 wrote:Herons and Egrets are some of my favourites.

Around here the Great Egret is much more common now than it was when I was young.
The same is true here in Latvia. Until the end of the 20th century Great Egret was a rare vagrant, but the number increased rapidly. Now we have nearly 100 nesting pairs, and there are present several hundred of non-breeders.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Kapa, yes

I asked my dad about Egrets becoming more common. He said yes, when he was young his family thought they would become extinct. They had been killed in huge numbers for their feathers but now their population seems to be recovering.
Kapa

Post by Kapa »

Alice,
these are good news.
As I said, I didn't see them before. At this tiny lake there seem to be around 9 egrets and 4 herons on a regular basis (these days).
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave: Saw some "Silberreiher" today also again

And this hawk (I think it is a goshawk). He likes this tree. The third day I saw him there

A "Singschwan", a "Höckerschwan" and "Zwergsäger" (my first this autumn)

The mute swan family

The eagle I saw today (one of our pair). Strange that there are no young ones this autumn. Somewhere else must be easy food, I think :D
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave: Today we were out again close to the baltic sea. For this days it was nice weather. No rain and no wind. When we arrived it was a few minutes to late, but we saw many cranes (nearly 100, I think) flying away from the sleeping place to get some food on the fields. Bad light for photos but I had my cam with me and we saw a wte fishing, so I took some pictures. We saw four different geese, but no "Saatgans" as we hoped. "Graugans, Nonnengans, Blessgans, Kanadagans". Also a few "Zwergschwäne" were there. Also "Gänsesäger, Mittelsäger, Zwergtaucher, sweet little Krickenten, Spiessenten" and many others. The wte pair of this place chased away a young one. My friend said a "Diesjähriger" but I am not sure
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

The "Rallen/Blässhühner" felt secure close to us (and the reed :D ) ...
This "Singschwan" whooped around until a second swan was ready for a second breakfast
The last week I had a lot of time to think about the killing/shooting of birds "just for fun" and about the education of people. And why, everywhere on this world, nobody of the responsible persons is REALLY interested to find the guilty. And what would happen if I destroy a 10 Euro backlight of a hunters car. So I have my own opinion and better do not write it down. ........

http://www.komitee.de/content/aktionen- ... verfolgung
Manu

Post by Manu »

@fireblade: You had a really interesting day too :loveshower: . The picture with the 2 ducks and tails up made me laugh, it's great :laugh:
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Manu wrote:@fireblade: You had a really interesting day too :loveshower: . The picture with the 2 ducks and tails up made me laugh, it's great :laugh:
Thank you Manu. And you can see why they are called pintail/Spiessente (ok, the males more :D )
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave:
"Raubwürger" (far away) on the right little tree
I am not sure, "Sperber-Weibchen" oder "Habicht-Männchen"
The farm-cat "Timmy" always on the hunt
Flex

Post by Flex »

We now have snow: Image

the half live consists of arrangement, subordination and regulation
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Flex wrote:We now have snow: Image
:wave: Brrr. I do not like the snow. Today it is a cold morning: -4, no snow.
Tomorrow in the evening in the german tv (zdf/frontal 21.00-21.45): A little article, I think, about hunting with plumb ammunition. I will try to record that piece, but it is also later to watch in the mediathek.
Flex

Post by Flex »

Yes, I have read it. But it is doubtful whether the lead-free ammunition is not dangerous. (Rebound = Abpraller...)

Lutz Möller: This is a man with crazy ideas - can you read it on his HP
the half live consists of arrangement, subordination and regulation
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Flex wrote:Yes, I have read it. But it is doubtful whether the lead-free ammunition is not dangerous. (Rebound = Abpraller...)
Lutz Möller: This is a man with crazy ideas - can you read it on his HP
:wave: Shooting is shooting. Always dangerous. But plump is a poison, also for humans. And there are many many tons in our woods because of shooting.
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave: Saw it. But there was not enough about the agonies of wte (for exampel). A lot of german talking. And some german boars (most dead)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Took a short walk today - it was very cold, wind chill was -11°C, and I took some photos too.

but for the bird check in the Birds thread! I also saw a least weasel, but that was way to fast for me to take a photo!

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Continued:

“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection

Return to “Seasons”