Autumn and Winter in Germany

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Bea

Re: Autumn and Winter in Germany

Post by Bea »

Manu, your photos are good! :thumbs: I love the one where the woodpecker is hiding the nut :laugh:
I didn´t know that they do that!

The Buzzards - I hope they will breed next season again. Here are always Buzzards around - but not as much as about 20 years ago, at that time there were lots of them. This year I noticed them breeding first time. The youngsters look pretty grown up now, but they are still near the pond and their parents - sometimes one can see them all four soaring in an upwind ....
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Manu

Post by Manu »

Thank you for your kind words :blush: . Perhaps the photo's will be more sharper when I clean the glasses of window :rotf:
The woodpecker don't hide the nuts there, he put the nuts in the hole and so he open the shell. I'm wondering why there are so many shell of nuts on the bottom and then I saw this little guy @ work :shake: .
Buzzards were here too, but only in the distance they circulate in the sky.
Flex

Post by Flex »

Nice pic, Manu.

It is an Smithy from Woodpecker (german: Spechtschmiede).
the half live consists of arrangement, subordination and regulation
Manu

Post by Manu »

You're right, Flex. This is exactely the word (for this special place of woodpecker) my mum told me.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

I wish you all the best for your project and hope to see many photos next year! It's great when you can see all kind of different birds and animals ...
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Manu

Post by Manu »

Thank you,Felis... Hopefully it will be nice.
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave: Beautiful weather this morning. "Goldener Oktober" at least today. Some little birds on their way. No geese in the sky. Saw two wtes today. One adult very very far away flying and one younger ca. 200m away, also flying. I think I will look for the english birdnames also.
So there was a northern shrike "Raubwürger" (omg: not sure with the english name)

A cormorant landing (Kormoran)
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

A kestrel (Turmfalke) with a mouse

And that is a favorite place for consume
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Beautiful photos, fireblade, and great weather!
So there was a northern shrike "Raubwürger" (omg: not sure with the english name)
The easiest way, I think, is to change language in Wikipedia. If you have Raubwürger in German, on the left side there are the articles in other languages, just click there. Otherwise, there is e. g. http://www.mumm.ac.be/~serge/birds/ which has them in 5 languages.

Raubwürger - there are, according to Wiki, two kinds, Nördlicher and Südlicher, which in English according to Wiki are Great (for the Northern) and Southern Great Grey Shrike.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

alice44

Post by alice44 »

This Shrike looks very much like the shrike that lives around here. I almost called it our common Shrike, but I only see maybe one a year, so it is hardly common.
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave: Thank you. There are so many shrikes, but I think it is a "Lanius excubitor".
Today it was a rainy morning again. The cranes flew over the car park, we were sitting in the car. Later I saw my first "Bartmeisen", Panurus biarmicus, Bearded Reedling. We counted 16 of them in the air, and then very quick in the reed again. And I saw this years first "Nonnengänse", Branta leucopsis, Barnacle Goose.
Fliegende Bartmeisen
Bartmeise :loveshower:
"Weißwangengänse(Nonnengänse)"
"Mantelmöwe", Larus marinus, Great Black-backed Gull
"Stieglitz, Distelfink",Carduelis carduelis, European Goldfinch
8 or 9 on the pic I think

Btw: Now it is again sunny weather 8-)
and next time I will write the birds name I think
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave: That is fishing, I think

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:shock: Huge fish!

fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Felis silvestris wrote::shock: Huge fish!
:wave: Oversized carp for him, I think. Only until the green strip. But they take small fish also 8-)
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave: Today it is like a late summer day. Some of the wood tracks are closed (-05.11.) because the fallow deers are rutting??. I have my own, maybe strange, opinion. Later they are easy to "harvest".
Saw cranes flying the "wrong" direction :mrgreen: . Only a few geese. So today was the woodpigeons day.
Cranes to north-east
A few geese - south-west
One swan family, the five youngsters are also white. They made some training flights (laps)
Many woodpigeons. This was the biggest group
I had a guest for coffee :D
Bea

Post by Bea »

Thank you, fireblade, for sharing your fotos :thumbs:

Your guest for coffee will probably jump the whole night long - surely he is not used to Coffein :laugh:
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Bea wrote:Your guest for coffee will probably jump the whole night long - surely he is not used to Coffein :laugh:
:D Thank you Bea. He complained because of the temperature and the quality. So will sleep deep and have dreams of next spring.
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

:wave: Today it was a beautiful "late summer" day. Saw some "Vs" of geese. Heard some white fronted geese and made a few pictures. At home I noticed that it was a mixed group: White-fronted geese and barnacle geese.
another group
See you next year cormorants
A lonely whooper swan called sad?
fireblade1

Post by fireblade1 »

Brought some peanuts from home. Magpie made some different hides :D
Was also there when the little calf gots its earmarks. It cried so loud and the whole group of cattles made a circle arround that farmer. They know him, he also cried loud and nothing happened
Bea

Post by Bea »

Todays afternoon view from my balcony on the first floor to the Acorn trees along our street

And here a plant of "Große Kapuzinerkresse" (Tropaeolum majus) uses a bush to climb to the sun :)
The nearly last blooming flowers in my garden .... the plant is from my neighbours, but she likes my garden, too :laugh:

Return to “Seasons”