Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Re: Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

Post by Felis silvestris »

That's interesting. But they change fur color anyway a bit?
They do have a "touch of grey", but if you don't know, you might not even notice! What is noticeable is, the tail which is much thicker in winter, and those cute ear tufts, are much thinner or vanish almost completely during the summer! I do keep my camera (at least the small one) with me nowadays at work, but usually they are gone by the time I'm ready to make a photo. But I don't give up, when my short holiday is over, I'll keep on trying!

Did you see, one of the articles of Looduskalender is about squirrels? I can't yet read it, it's only Estonian yet. I have to wait for Liis' translation.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

Thanks for telling! I can understand Estonian a bit. Did you know that squirrels eat mushrooms too? :D I didn't. It is told there in the article of the Estonian squirrels. How nice. They are busy collecting food into stores, yes. Just like our squirrels are doing for the moment. But of course, their life is full of dangers... :unsure:
SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga and Nappu, thank you for your video that takes us to the store.
It`s so beautiful autumn colours now, for me it`s the most beautiful time of the year.
:wave:
Manu

Post by Manu »

Olga :hi: , thank you for this nice video when you drove to the store. Beautiful weather and wonderful colours. Very nice place....
But one question: Was Nappu driving or recording :laugh: ????
Olga

Post by Olga »

Hahah.. :rotf: Manu, I didn't know if my camera would fall down from bonnet (? the platform on the windshield). Normally I like to sing while driving alone and Nappu is sitting silent (and many times there is Nanu too) sitting on the back seat, and they accept my voice ( almost not exactly like a crow...) This time I was silent and concentrated just to keep on the road, if the camera falls down on the floor, I'll let it be there and just drive along the road not to ditch or to the hay fields.

We are promised to get more of rain in next weekend. After that I guess we will have the first frosty nights, and who knows, the first snow fall! Yes, weather broadcast shows that it will be colder day by day!
alice44

Post by alice44 »

I finally had quiet time to watch the video -- it is really very lovely, the music does suit wonderfully and the autumn road is beautiful.
Olga

Post by Olga »

alice44 wrote:I finally had quiet time to watch the video -- it is really very lovely, the music does suit wonderfully and the autumn road is beautiful.
Thanks, Alice!

Now the Looduskaleder squirrel article has been translated:

http://www.looduskalender.ee/en/node/14727

Winter stores must be collected
05.10.2012 - 13:11
Olga

Post by Olga »

It has rained all the day long. Anyway Mops appeared at 17. The window was wet and foggy. She looked quite dry, so she has some shelter. Fine!

Margossa

Post by Margossa »

Mops is wonderful and she had a party with tit.
Olga you live in the beautiful place and colours on your film (way to store) in my country we call the golden autumn. Thank you for pictures and videos.
Many years ago I was one month in South America (Ecuador) and the singing Cesária Évora which I heard for your video reminded me of that journey...
Thank you Image
Olga

Post by Olga »

Thanks, Margossa :wave: I have also visited on that side of our globe, I'll never forget that five weeks journey. But it was in 1976!

Today I cought them on video, the two Coal tits:

They seem to be quite brave, that small as they are.

Olga

Post by Olga »

In summer I saw just one single Coal tit, but now there are two of them :2thumbsup:

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

How cute they are! :loveshower: I hope you will see them more often during winter!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Manu

Post by Manu »

They are so busy and adorable :loveshower: . Hopefully they visit your "feeding-station" often.
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

One Coal tit has become two Coal tits:) Rumours about the good food spreads.. :2thumbsup:
It will be very exciting to watch when winter comes, Olga. Thank you for nice video and pictures :wave:
alice44

Post by alice44 »

They sure are cute (like my black capped chickadees) and your photos of them are good -- you can see the delicate white spots on the wings
Yoko

Post by Yoko »

Sweet Mops ! And beautifull birdsImage
Thanks Olga :)
Good day !
Yoko
Margossa

Post by Margossa »

Olga thank you for great pictures and video.
I found web page with list of the squirrels in the world.
http://www.squirrels.org/names.html

Photos squirrels are on this web page http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/view ... t=squirrel

Pictures and videos with squirrels http://www.arkive.org/explore/species?q=Squirrel

I wish all have a nice day! :wave:
Olga

Post by Olga »

Margossa wrote:Olga thank you for great pictures and video.
I found web page with list of the squirrels in the world.
http://www.squirrels.org/names.html

Photos squirrels are on this web page http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/view ... t=squirrel

Pictures and videos with squirrels http://www.arkive.org/explore/species?q=Squirrel

I wish all have a nice day! :wave:
:wave: Thanks for these links, they are very good. I didn't know that there are that many different squirrels.

Earlier in the history our squirrels were important for its fur, it was hunted still in the beginning of 1900, here in Finland, probably also in other countries too..

Here in Finland red squirrels (Scirius vulgaris) were protected by law in 1928 and the amount of them begun to increase again - the skins were exported to Germany and Great Britain e g. If I don't remember wrong about one million of them were hunted in a year and the skin has also be used as money, much earlier than 1900. A hunter was able to buy a cow having hunted 100 squirrels! So, the skin was highly appreciated. It was told that a hunter could get 15 squirrels daily.. :unsure: 'Finns are hunters' (?) Even today we do have three hundred thousands hunters here! How much were there earlier??

In the Middle Ages red squirrels, for an example in the year 1391, it is told that about 200 000 - two hundred thousands winter fur skins were exported to Talinn in one time.

Red squirrels begun vanish, of course, and plain people was not able to hunt them at all.

What great that those times are behind!
Margossa

Post by Margossa »

Olga, thank you for the interesting information about squirrels.

I have surprise. Yesterday I saw squirrel on the cam from Brazil.

Margossa

Post by Margossa »

This is my first video in my life. I hope that's okay.
Squirrel from Brazil :headroll:

Return to “Seasons”