Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
Margossa

Re: Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

Post by Margossa »

Olga, thank you for Charley and Mops pictures and videos.
You have the beautiful garden with wild rose bushes.
Are you doing juice or jam of wild rose fruit?
It's very healthy in winter season.
spatz

Post by spatz »

thanks Olga that they give us a piece of her paradise
:loveshower:
Olga

Post by Olga »

spatz, you are welcome.

:wave: In the morning!

But now in the afternoon, again: rain!

Margossa, but if some birds like the rose fruits? The thorns are very long and sharp, they are difficult to pick them without getting clothes torn..

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

Walking with Nanu today one hour before sun set. Nanu is 12 years older than Nappu.

Down the hill towards the hay fields. The road, or the path, is very a old path, it is told to be as old as the medieval church in Kirkkonummi centrum.

It was almost impossible to keep the camera without moving... :D

The view is most Finnish in autumn and so is the black ground music too, by Jean Sibelius.

...walking back to Squirrel hill:

Jean Sibelius etude op76 no2 guitar duo played by lute323
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Nanu enjoys his walk through autumn! And the music is very nice, I have always liked Sibelius and it is really reflecting the Finnish nature!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga, Nanu is lucky to have the beautiful surroundings to take his trips in. Thank you for taking us with you :wave:

( I have also seen the videos of Nappu on her trip, very nice too :thumbs: )
Manu

Post by Manu »

Wow, what a beautiful sunny weather and wonderful colours... Thank you to share this nice video's from Nanu and Nappu on their walk.

Next step: Walking with Nappu AND Nanu AND recording :mrgreen: .
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Lussi05 wrote:Olga, Nanu is lucky to have the beautiful surroundings to take his trips in. Thank you for taking us with you :wave:

( I have also seen the videos of Nappu on her trip, very nice too :thumbs: )
I also watched one of Nappu. :D
Olga

Post by Olga »

:hi: I do not manage alone with both of them if something happens! If! It has happened that a big dog who run free attacked Nanu when he was one year old. The attacker too was very young, but weighted 3 times more than Nanu (13,5 kg). Thanks heaven the owner hurried at the place and stopped the mess. At the moment I just fell on my knees Nanu in my arms. I was totally helpless on that moment. It is possible that the big dog wanted just to play, but as he took Nanu's head in his mouth I was so scared, that I can't even remember what I did. But it is possible that some day, if hsbnd accepts to take camera with him, when he takes Nanu and Nappu together to Nuuksio forest, he may record a video of both them in the forest.

Have I put the videos of Nappu here or no? Perhaps no.

Nappu found an empty, abandoned (?) beehive on the pavement, and she threw herself down on her back and rolled over it, immediately, to take some honey smell bath. On the second video.

12th October:

alice44

Post by alice44 »

I watched the video of Nappu and the bee hive from your direct feed. I thought that was very interesting. At first I thought it was a hedgehog. I have never heard of a dog rubbing against a bee hive.

I need to find an old picture of my sister's dog Nina, I think she looks a bit like Nappu. I was always scared to walk her she was so feisty.
Manu

Post by Manu »

@Olga: Sorry, it was only a joke of mine with the two dogs and the camera :blush: .
Olga

Post by Olga »

Alice, that is Nappu too! Feisty. So lively, it's incredible how strong she is also. She listens to me, but not always, not if she sees something she thinks needs to be put in 'order', like other free running dogs, deer. Sometimes she gets 'mad' when she sees a bicycle approaching. It has happened that some bicyclist have frightened her ( and me too) be cause they may come suddenly from our back side 'in front' of us without ringing the bell
at fast pace.

At first I did not understand the word feisty, but I found some explanation to the word feisty: full of animation, energy, or courage; spirited; spunky; plucky - among others. Yes, Nappu has lot of courage, determination, curiosity..

Nanu is all different, he is calm, very calm, stubborn though if he has something special in his mind. He has a huge barking voice too if he wants..He used to be very strong too, but perhaps no more. Better to be careful with him, he will be 14 years in next March.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Manu wrote:@Olga: Sorry, it was only a joke of mine with the two dogs and the camera :blush: .
Oh, that's nothing! :D I have tried to make videos of them both in the garden, but Nanu is 'lazy' and Nappu lively, hurricane. :laugh: I will try again, Nappu is older now and no more that 'jealous' if I talk to Nanu and ask him to go and come and to do something I wish.

If I knew beforehand that no other dogs (there also are free running dogs around the houses behind the hay fields!) would not come across, it would be nice to walk with both of them around the hill.
alice44

Post by alice44 »

Nina was fine with bikes, but she hated skate boarders (and postmen).
Margossa

Post by Margossa »

Olga, your dogs are amazing. The empty nest with honey smell I think is the best perfume for Nappu :wink:
I like all dogs (I'm allergic for cats female) and when I was little girl I had the Newfoundland (Newfie) dog male and he was name Rumcajs and he lived 14 years old.
He was my best friend.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Margossa wrote:Olga, your dogs are amazing. The empty nest with honey smell I think is the best perfume for Nappu :wink:
I like all dogs (I'm allergic for cats female) and when I was little girl I had the Newfoundland (Newfie) dog male and he was name Rumcajs and he lived 14 years old.
He was my best friend.
Yes, she is a lady dog! :laugh: Perfume is needed :laugh: btw She should have heat time now, but it seems not to begin this time. Maybe in Christmas time or next spring then.

Nice to hear, Margossa about your first dog. They are something we never forget. My first dog was a Finnish Spitz. I was four then. It was a summer my parents had hired a summer cottage at the shore of Päijänne, a most beautiful long (118 km long) lake in Central Finland. But our summer neighbor, a war veteran fell in love with it and wanted it for his own: I need a second eye he said. Her name was Tessu. So the heart of my mother was divided, she loved Tessu too. But there it stayed... I was very sorry, but that was it.

I have chosen some music in the background of Nappu's videos too! Bach, because of the lively rhythm, a gavotte and a prelude.
Olga

Post by Olga »

:shock: A new species seen on the hanging feeder: I have never earlier seen this bird.

Hawfinch
Coccothraustes coccothraustes

picture from Wikipedia:
Coccothraustes_coccothraustes_1_(Marek_Szczepanek).jpg

Somekind of video will be uploaded.
Olga

Post by Olga »

It is told that there are here in Finland 350 pairs of Hawfinches:

It was raining a lot
at 9:30
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Beautiful birds! What a strong beak they have! The German name "Kernbeißer" implies it also, means translated "biting kernel/pits". You're just about within the breeding range of them, it seems! Maybe you will see one or if there are more than one, them more often, now that they know there is food for them?
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis silvestris wrote:Beautiful birds! What a strong beak they have! The German name "Kernbeißer" implies it also, means translated "biting kernel/pits". You're just about within the breeding range of them, it seems! Maybe you will see one or if there are more than one, them more often, now that they know there is food for them?
Yes, it would be fine to see more than just one single Hawfinch. I have to be even more careful and keep the feeder clean. They are told be migrating birds, but some of them stay in Finland. They migrate to middle Europe.
In Finnish they are called 'nokkavarpunen' = *beak sparrow* :D

The coal tits I see now each day, two of them, from morning to evening.

Return to “Seasons”