Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
alice44

Re: Spring and Summer 2012 in Finland

Post by alice44 »

The downed trees really do look a sorry story.
macdoum

Post by macdoum »

Olga,thank you for the latest news from Squirrel Hill.....its very sad to hear of another bit of forest disappearing. :cry:
I am happy to see Mops gathering his store for the winter...clever little guy. Now he need to remember where he hid them. :shake:

Thank you Margossa for the link to the bird/squirrel feeder in Brazil.Its dark there now but I will look tomorrow. :2thumbsup:
If you could put the link in the place 'Camera Links,then everyone can use them ?
Carmel a member of SHOW .. I hope you love birds too. Its economical. It saves going to heaven.
Emily Dickinson
Margossa

Post by Margossa »

Olga, I'm from Poland
This cam I watch since July this year.
Lyre bird lives in Australia .
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Superb_Lyrebird

Your photo story about trees in forest is really sad. It's a pity that so many trees were cut.

macdoum: No problem, I put a link to cam in "Camera Links"
I gave the link to the other cams in Brazil and Ecuador in the other place ( Other Webcams » Other Birds and Animals ),
but you wrote that "Do not open the above link,its been hacked by an Islamic crowd" and Felis silvestris deleted this link.

I don't any problem with this web page and my computer didn't crashes and my security program doesn't send any alerts.

If you have any problems with my link please could you inform about it?

I'm sorry but my English is not good :blush:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

Margossa wrote:
macdoum: No problem, I put a link to cam in "Camera Links"
I gave the link to the other cams in Brazil and Ecuador in the other place ( Other Webcams » Other Birds and Animals ),
but you wrote that "Do not open the above link,its been hacked by an Islamic crowd" and Felis silvestris deleted this link.

I don't any problem with this web page and my computer didn't crashes and my security program doesn't send any alerts.

If you have any problems with my link please could you inform about it?

I'm sorry but my English is not good :blush:
Magossa, NancyM wrote to them (the web cam site) and they think their website is okay now. But at that time, when macdoum reported the website, the link went actually to a hacked site and to be on the safe side, we decided to remove the link for the time being! We hope they will take care now not to be hacked again, if you want to, you can add the links again! Things like that can happen, and in that case one should be careful!
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Margossa

Post by Margossa »

Felis silvestris , I gave link to cams in "Camera Links". Thank you for your answer.
Olga

Post by Olga »

Margossa, oh dear, so you are from Poland, not from Brazil :mrgreen:
but it's fine to have members from Poland, of course :thumbs:

The fall goes on here. I walked around the house and took the 'traditional' photos I used to take also in the earlier years:

First the view from squirrel window:

SHoW(StorkaHolics of the World)
Olga

Post by Olga »

The decorative apple tree, apples too sour to eat by humans. Behind the yellow little birch there is the tallest spruce on the hill top, very important for squirrels:

In the center is an aronia bush that decided to grow as tree, on the back ground there is seen the biggest aspen on the hill, still haveing leaves, on the right is the old pine along which squirrels approach the house if they don't come from the other side of the house:

Rock, a huge giant seal formed stone which lines Western part of the hill. On the right is seen a corner of my vegetable plot - Mops has hided there some of the precious Swiss hazel nuts :laugh: :

Just a view from the northern 'valley' and tree tops down the hill. Some times squirrel walk on those electric lines:

A view to the Southern hill side. The Squirrel lake is seen there behind:

Olga

Post by Olga »

Some of the last flowers still blooming on the other side of the dog fence, the Southern part of the yard:

Bladder cherry, Chinese lantern, Japanese lantern, or Winter cherry; Japanese: hōzuki - Physalis alkekengi.

The stone terrace, stone stairs down to the post box. A hazel nut bush top seen on the left. The pine trunk and the old birch, both of them are important for squirrels:

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

You have a very beautiful place, Olga! Squirrel Hill, a small paradise! :wave:
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

Manu

Post by Manu »

It's such a beautiful place where you live. Thank you to share this wonderful pictures with us.
As Felis said, a squirrel-paradise...

PS: Hopefully Mops will find her nuts in the hiding place in your vegetable-garden :laugh: .
Olga

Post by Olga »

Manu wrote:It's such a beautiful place where you live. Thank you to share this wonderful pictures with us.
As Felis said, a squirrel-paradise...

PS: Hopefully Mops will find her nuts in the hiding place in your vegetable-garden :laugh: .
Yes, let's hope she will find them when she thinks she needs them. The Swiss hazel nuts are among the chives plot.
I will not touch on that area :D to not to spoil her nut store. If, if a nut leave appears there in next spring, I'll let it be and grow, and later move the seedling to a safety place with more soil. There is BTW already one hazel nut seedling from last year. Perhaps she has put a hazel nut there in the summer 2011 or earlier.

We have lived here from 1992 and I wish I could live here for one more 20 years more :thumbs:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Olga, thank you for letting us visit you. You live on a beautiful place :wave:
IKat

Post by IKat »

Oh Olga......I want to come live where you live.....I could help with the chores, I don't eat a lot of food....and I do not snore when sleeping.... :whistling:
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
Olga

Post by Olga »

IKat wrote:Oh Olga......I want to come live where you live.....I could help with the chores, I don't eat a lot of food....and I do not snore when sleeping.... :whistling:
:slap:
Oh my, thanks for your offer IKat. That's something I have to think about.. :laugh: Our life here is quite silent and modest, the house is old and there is always something to repair not to speak about the dog fence - I have been repairing it for ten years, and it is still not safety enough for Nappu, she finds always some hole to crawl on the other side.. There is so few soil on the ground rock and stones which the hill has been formed of about 10 thousands or one million years ago. Do you have a stone drill?

Let's see, time will show.. 8-)
IKat

Post by IKat »

:laugh: Oh Olga.....our life here is nice and quiet too (other people probably think we are terribly boring).....my husband retired 3 years ago and tinkers around "fixing" things too....we need so much done to so many different things it will never all be repaired....our fence is a mess too.......our dog cannot escape tho' so thank goodness for that........... I think I might be able to "borrow" a stone drill from my son-in-law :rolleyes:
S7-Nori-F?
S8-Uno-M?
S9-Elo-F?

"There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a
landscape as it was before." ~ Robert Lynd
Olga

Post by Olga »

IKat wrote::laugh: Oh Olga.....our life here is nice and quiet too (other people probably think we are terribly boring).....my husband retired 3 years ago and tinkers around "fixing" things too....we need so much done to so many different things it will never all be repaired....our fence is a mess too.......our dog cannot escape tho' so thank goodness for that........... I think I might be able to "borrow" a stone drill from my son-in-law :rolleyes:
Nappu has escaped for four times. She is just so interested on everything. I don't believe that she would get lost, but there is the possibility that if she finds a raccoon or deer, she tries everything to put the things in order. She can't understand why I have made the fence, I think she likes it is boring, a nuisance.

Driving with Nappu to the little country store.
It's really autumn, the season of many departures.

Margossa made my thoughts turn to South America. Cesária Évora sings Saudade on the background.
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Thanks for the really nice drive through Finnish autumn! The music is also quite fitting, as it also mirrors the sad feeling autumn has, with nature coming to another end of cycle.
I saw quite many squirrels yesterday, when I made a small outing to our Botanical Garden. But they are quite fast, one photo I made shows only a brownish line of fur :rotf:

Olga

Post by Olga »

:wave: Thank you, Felis for sharing the photo! Your Red squirrel looks just lovely. How red is also the tail! Our squirrels seem to have grayish tail, some times almost black!
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

I think I have also mentioned before, they don't turn as grey as yours in winter! The dark brown ones, that were there as well, did not want to get photographed. I have posted another squirrel in the Autumn and winter in Germany thread, with some other photos I made (and some in the Birds, birds, birds).

Olga

Post by Olga »

Felis silvestris wrote:I think I have also mentioned before, they don't turn as grey as yours in winter! The dark brown ones, that were there as well, did not want to get photographed. I have posted another squirrel in the Autumn and winter in Germany thread, with some other photos I made (and some in the Birds, birds, birds).
That's interesting. But they change fur color anyway a bit?

These are some of my first ever squirrel photos from window. Ther first photo was taken the 10th and the second on the 25th October 2009. There seem to be leaves on trees still. had just arranged the feeder behind the window and was surprised that a squirrel appeared there. They had already changed the fur.

They seem not to change color each one at same time, but at last it happens to all of them. Just paws stay reddish and the face more or less. Tassels remain dark.

Return to “Seasons”