Spring and Summer 2015

A photographic record of seasonal changes in your area.
airras

Re: Spring and Summer 2015

Post by airras »

ppfffff!!!!! very hot in my area, they are breaking records for high temperatures with more than 100 years old :slap: :help: jijijiji
Today.... :faint:
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

airras wrote:ppfffff!!!!! very hot in my area, they are breaking records for high temperatures with more than 100 years old :help: jijijiji
Yes, it's hot, airras :blush:

Liz01 - Beautiful summer pictures :wave:
Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

:hi:
On my balcony come hornets. I feed them with grapes and pears. However, they eat the young wasps.
The Hornets have made their nest in a birdhouse. For me hornets are very interested

Wild bees are also a lot here

and there is a bumblebee nest. The young now gathering pollen.
Birdfriend

Post by Birdfriend »

Great, pictures, Liz! Some days before I had also two hornets on our balcony. :wave:
The nature needs us not, but we need the nature
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Post by Felis silvestris »

It was a hot summer. The squirrels using "Woodpecker Apartments" had a good time, it seems, there was at least one pup raised in the big right corner apartment

Image Image

and the holes were still used. But sadly I have to report that yesterday the holes were all closed. Window cleaners were working and I had already feared that they will see and induce them being closed. I only can hope that no squirrels or birds were locked in.

The building owners inspecting the left corner apartment. I'm curious what the will do now. Re-start the project or look for something else?

But on the bright side. The squirrels at work are more visible again. There is a walnut tree around the corner and one was busy today bringing the loot to a secure spot:

Image Image
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

The Aquila Pomarina Collection
Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis, great pictures of the squirrels and woodpeckers :wave:
Not so nice that they are without a home though, I wonder what they will do about it :nod:

Roe deers, a mother with two beautiful playful calves

This video is taken through the window, so you can hear a football match on tv in the background :D Here the deers are in my neighbours garden:)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Beautiful pictures of the roe deer, Lussi. The young ones have grown so much!

The left corner apartment is still open. The squirrel is still using it. On Friday I saw two guys going there, one had a roll of toilet paper and he stuffed some in:

Only a short time later the squirrel had taken the tissue in. I guess it must be thinking "nice people, bringing soft tissue for making a comfortable bed!" :mrgreen:

I'm curious how long this will go on.
“One can measure the greatness and the moral progress of a nation by looking at how it treats its animals” (Mahatma Gandhi)
"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals" (Paul McCartney)

spatz

Post by spatz »

thank felis, for news of squirrels. I am always thrilled, this story is just great. with me to build the ants flats at the roses. yesterday was heavy rain, but construction is intact

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Interesting construction, Spatz! :laugh:

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

Felis silvestris wrote: Only a short time later the squirrel had taken the tissue in. I guess it must be thinking "nice people, bringing soft tissue for making a comfortable bed!"
I'm curious how long this will go on.
They are very optimstic to think that toilet paper will keep the squirrels away, or the birds for that matter :laugh: But they got great isolation for their home :thumbs:
I also wonder how it will end..

Spatz, I agree with Felis, the ants have built an interesting construction :thumbs:
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:mrgreen: Yesterday:

When I came home, I first thought "rat", but looking through the binoculars and the tele lense, it became clear that this is one of the dark squirrels having a look.

I saw today, walking on the other side of the road, that the crazy woodpecker also made a hole into the wall of my building. They insulated the side with styrofoam a couple of year ago ...

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:mrgreen:

Bea

Post by Bea »

They don´t give up :laugh:
Nature does nothing in vain (Aristoteles)
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

No, I don't, and they don't.

The Mrs. recently also took a look:

The corner apartment is also still in use, now by a dark brown squirrel.

But they should be careful - after the kestrel juveniles from summer, I had another rather rare visitor recently (the second time I see one here, but after many years)

(maybe the one from work has followed me home?)

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

And today the landlord took up the work and started building refurbishment

So, the saga of "Woodpecker Apartments" is not yet finished!

Lussi05

Post by Lussi05 »

So it's still excitement in your neighbourhood Felis, very nice :thumbs:
Great pictures!
Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Yes, Mr. Woodpecker started the work again. Yesterday when I arrived at home from work, he also arrived and shortly after that the white pieces just flew around. :mrgreen: I guess the first apartment will be ready shortly.

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

Works were going on earlier today, I did not see the woodpecker. But one hole is now ready and the next is started :thumbs: :rotf:

Felis silvestris
Site Admin

:slap:

Two (smaller) holes are ready. It seems Mr Woodpecker has his regular hours to work on them.

Liz01

Post by Liz01 »

Felis :hi: , I've been following with great interest, what your great spotted woodpecker makes. :mrgreen:
Looks like, he works more than I do. :rotf:

Thank you for these wonderful photos from the squirrels and great spotted woodpecker. :2thumbsup:
I read about it and seen pictures in the newspaper. This insulation sounds for a woodpecker, like a dead tree.

Return to “Seasons”