Estonian Osprey Nest (Irma & Ivo) 2018

Hellem

Re: Estonian Osprey Nest (Irma & Ivo) 2018

Post by Hellem »

Owlie wrote: June 24th, 2018, 6:07 pm :wave:
Thanks, Hellem, I read your msg, but - don't tell anyone - I was at work, and my employer has blocked the YT, at least I cannot open it there, only pontu-link works there - and it was repaired during the afternoon, too.
:wave: a bad employer :laugh:
lispet

Post by lispet »

mail wrote: June 24th, 2018, 12:56 pm 12:47 Was that a WTE? Irma chased it away.
Irma is so brave, just protecting the chicks and chasing the big intruder! Last year I saw an adult leaving the nest when a WTE approached and the WTE landed on the nest and took one chick.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

lispet wrote: June 24th, 2018, 8:09 pm Irma is so brave, just protecting the chicks and chasing the big intruder! Last year I saw an adult leaving the nest when a WTE approached and the WTE landed on the nest and took one chick.
In this nest? No, wasn't it in the Latvian osprey nest? I remember having read of it - and the chick was quite big already! :cry: WTEs do hunt several bird species, mostly though water birds ...

I have understood that when Irma's first (since the cam was installed) spouse Ilmar was trapped for installing his satellite transmitter and changing his rings, the ornithologists trapped him by showing a WTE scare in front of the nets they could pick up him from (there is a picture of it somewhere in the earlier years threads front page). I understand that ospreys are very alert with WTEs.

I have also learned that young (0-5 yrs old) WTEs, who have not learned to fish by their own, often steal fish just from ospreys, who are more talented in fishing.

Ten points to Irma today for protecting her offspring :thumbs:
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Of Ilmar, the satellite osprey:

https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 24#p212924

https://www.looduskalender.ee/forum/vie ... 63#p229063

I don't find the picture of the scene where Ilmar was trapped for installing the transmitter and changing his rings.
It was on the ground (a jungle), the net was set behind a WTE scare, where Ilmar was supposed to fly in order to protect his nest and territory. And the trapping succeeded and our Ilmar got his satellite transmitter. Which showed next autumn that Ilmar flew all the way to southern Africa, to Angola for his winter. Next two years he was back from those thousands of kilometers to this exact nest position at this particular nest. We don't know Irma's migration routes, but we can admire these birds' navigation skills year after year - now sixth year with our Irma. For Irma :bow: And for Ivo :bow:
lispet

Post by lispet »

Owlie wrote: June 24th, 2018, 8:15 pm In this nest? No, wasn't it in the Latvian osprey nest? I remember having read of it - and the chick was quite big already! :cry:
Yes Owlie, it was a Latvian nest.
Juri

Post by Juri »

mogga wrote: June 24th, 2018, 2:51 pm 12:47
The whole family took the opportunity to take a nice poopy time. :laugh: I think this was the first time I saw Irma to do it.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Juri wrote: June 24th, 2018, 9:37 pm The whole family took the opportunity to take a nice poopy time. :laugh: I think this was the first time I saw Irma to do it.
I didn't see Irma pooping - she usually does it in fight. I have never seen her pooping in or from the nest ...
Juri

Post by Juri »

lispet wrote: June 24th, 2018, 9:24 pm Yes Owlie, it was a Latvian nest.
lispet, was it a camera nest or did you observe this in nature? I remember seeing a video of predator catching an ospret, but I assumed this is very rare. Irma truly is a dedicated mom!
Juri

Post by Juri »

Owlie wrote: June 24th, 2018, 9:51 pm I didn't see Irma pooping - she usually does it in fight. I have never seen her pooping in or from the nest ...
Owlie, she pooped while on dead tree around 1:16
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Juri wrote: June 24th, 2018, 9:57 pm lispet, was it a camera nest or did you observe this in nature? I remember seeing a video of predator catching an ospret, but I assumed this is very rare. Irma truly is a dedicated mom!
I answer even if you ask Lispet: it was the Latvian Looduskalender Osprey camera nest 2017. I have seen the video of the tragic case. It was cruel to see, as the chick was already quite big, but couldn't defend itself.
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

22:06 cam time
Ivo came in with a very, very, very little fish and finally let Irma take it over and give a little evening snack to her offspring. I think the Smallie got the tail :wave:
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Juri :wave: , here is the video about this tragic event in the Latvian osprey Tina&Teo nest in June 30, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... AfiXfLve-Y
Owlie

Post by Owlie »

Again a baby fish, one bite of a fish - ok, better than nothing ... :mrgreen:
Done in 4 minutes
Summi

Post by Summi »

Thank you, Mogga, for the poop shooting competition video - who can shoot farther from the nest! All three managed to comply with the rule to get it done in one minute! :whistling:
Good night. :offtobed:
HelenL44

Post by HelenL44 »

What is a WTE?
Helen S.
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

HelenL44 wrote: June 25th, 2018, 3:46 am What is a WTE?
:hi: White-tailed Eagle.

I thought it was an osprey. :puzzled:
Gavril

Post by Gavril »

Morning! :hi: Thank you all for the updates, pictures and videos! :thumbs: Today again uncomfortable weather. Irma covered for Chicks. Ivo is sitting on an old tree. The fledglings preen their feathers. 8: 46. Irma asked the fish. 8: 47. Ivo did not test the patience of his wife and flew away.

Gavril

Post by Gavril »

8: 56. Sending wife on a fishing trip, she flew to rest on the old tree. The Chicks went to the toilet according to the queue...

Gavril

Post by Gavril »

9: 03. Irma sees flying with Ivo fish and returns to the nest. The Chicks are ready to eat. Irma quickly took a large live fish and without delay began to feed the children. :rolleyes:

9: 16. Chicks fed up, turned away. The older one finished the tail and the Irma mom ate the tail fin. :headroll:
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

09.14 AM - June 25, 2018

Breakfast is served and the beaks are wide open of our three ospreys. Their voices are so delightful as they make themselves noticeable.

Return to “Osprey Webcam Forum”